Interest details on HMRC Personal Tax Account. Updated to include how to access interest details.

edited 2 October 2019 at 5:27PM in Savings & Investments
766 replies 87.8K views

Replies

• Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    So if this "back door" has been closed, is there now any way of seeing your declared interest on the GOV website?
    "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!

* I shall only get involved in new threads, once a dialogue has been established with the OP *
  • RG2015RG2015 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sea_Shell said:
    So if this "back door" has been closed, is there now any way of seeing your declared interest on the GOV website?
    Just the total estimate for the current year which is currently based on the estimate for the previous year.

I keep my own records and expect to be doing a blind reconciliation come September when HMRC mess it up for both years.
  • badger09badger09 Forumite
    9.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    badger09 said:
    RG2015 wrote: »
    The HMRC personal tax online Beta system does appear to be somewhat limited. I was never comfortable with the screen to input my interest received online so I wrote to HMRC informing them of the actual figures for 2016/17 and 2017/18.

The 2017/18 figure was then used to estimate the 2018/19 figure which seems reasonable to me.

Then a few months later all of my individual savings account details appeared as I detailed at the start of this thread. There was an option to update the details but I feared that this would complicate things. By all accounts here the HMRC site is unable to cope with this so when I have actual figures for 2018/19 I will write to HMRC with the total figure.

That is exactly what I have been advocating for quite some time.

Until the Personal Tax Account functions as intended, I will not attempt to use it. I suspect that will not be for many years, by which time, I will have frittered my savings away:rotfl:
    16 months on............. didn't really need too much frittering. BOE & worldwide pandemic have sufficiently depleted savings so that there's no need for me to change my mind about PTA (or PiTA)     
  • Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    RG2015 said:
    Sea_Shell said:
    Just the total estimate for the current year which is currently based on the estimate for the previous year.

I keep my own records and expect to be doing a blind reconciliation come September when HMRC mess it up for both years.

Thanks, I've been keeping my own records too, and one year I did go over £1000, but it still didn't effect anything, as I was only working part time at the time (they did amend my tax code).   My records matched with what they had.  

Since then, with the reductions in interest rates left right and centre, I'll be nowhere near £1000, so I am not too concerned about matching it all up exactly, but it's always nice to be able to reconcile the "accounts" as it were, for completeness.
    "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!

* I shall only get involved in new threads, once a dialogue has been established with the OP *
  • edited 30 May 2020 at 11:05AM
    caveman38caveman38 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 30 May 2020 at 11:05AM
    Does the link https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-income-tax/income/bank-building-society-savings to check for how the total savings tax liability, only work later in the tax year when institutions have furnished information for the previous tax year?
  • edited 30 May 2020 at 2:14PM
    Notepad_PhilNotepad_Phil Forumite
    755 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 30 May 2020 at 2:14PM
    caveman38 said:
    Does the link https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-income-tax/income/bank-building-society-savings to check for how the total savings tax liability, only work later in the tax year when institutions have furnished information for the previous tax year?
    It used to work for me at any time of the year and showed whatever was the latest information i.e. the last set of information provided by the institutions for my accounts; however it has never worked for my wife.

It's now stopped working for me, and it appears from what other posters have said that it's stopped working for them too - hopefully it will come back at some point in the future, preferably in some supported manner via a link.
  • bowlesbargainbowlesbargain Forumite
    210 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    The tax man must be running out of money he just sent me a notice that i owe £108 from 2017/2018 for interest on saving accounts. As I cannot see the accounts they have used other than a general idea I have no way of knowing if this is right or wrong
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    19.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tax man must be running out of money he just sent me a notice that i owe £108 from 2017/2018 for interest on saving accounts. As I cannot see the accounts they have used other than a general idea I have no way of knowing if this is right or wrong
    You could cross-refer to the certificates of interest from your providers for that year and, in conjunction with your other income, reliefs/allowances, etc, validate their calculation.
  • colstencolsten Forumite
    17.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you record all interest payments as you receive them in a spreadsheet, or in a personal finance manager, you will not only know the latest balance of your accounts but also have a running total of the interest you earned in any one tax year. You are in total control - if you want to be.
  • polymaffpolymaff Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

At the end of the tax year I send the same email to each of the institutions I save with:
    Please send me a Certificate of Interest Paid for the Tax Year ending 5th April [year] for the interest-bearing accounts that I held with you, solely or jointly, at any time during that Tax Year.
    Similarly for the Other Income payers, Halifax Reward, etc.