Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) - Page 68

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

edited 10 February 2019 at 9:36AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
1.1K replies 151.3K views

Replies

• Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Ken68 said:
    I have been using a Tesco button to access Lidl trolleys. Slightly shaved down they work a treat and on my last visit found a LIDL button, didn;t know they existed.
    I thought all tokens were standardised to replicate the shape of a £1 coin?
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    4.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else noticed a subtle change to the flavour/consistency of Aldi's Bramwells Real Mayonnaise? The full fat one.

" That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow ":beer: JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!! :j:j:j
  • mikbmikb Forumite
    308 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I suppose either it was a non-deposit trolley or they thought it was worth £1 to shop together.

Last time I was at ALDI and Morrisons, all the trolleys had been turned "free range", so you don't need a coin/token to release them. Presumably to prevent people having to work out how to decontaminate their coin afterwards.
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    23.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's right. My Aldi hasn't used coins for trolleys since the start of lockdown. At the moment, a very helpful guy stands at the door cleaning trolleys so you choose one from him (small/large) as he tells you when to go in. Polite people are taking them back to him too but I have seen some dumped around the car park. 

The queue was longer today than usual. It took me 30 minutes to get in (usually 10-15) and 30 minutes to shop. No problem today, basking in the sunshine but what about winter. Maybe they'll install patio heaters. :smiley:
  • edited 29 May at 4:10PM
    od244051od244051 Forumite
    625 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    edited 29 May at 4:10PM
    mikb said:
    I suppose either it was a non-deposit trolley or they thought it was worth £1 to shop together.

Last time I was at ALDI and Morrisons, all the trolleys had been turned "free range", so you don't need a coin/token to release them. Presumably to prevent people having to work out how to decontaminate their coin afterwards.
    All the supermarkets I have used, you still needed a coin or token to release them. I have one of these which releases the trolley without leaving the thing in the slot. It only works for trolleys that you push the coin/token into a slot. So those trolleys in Aldi, Lidl and Iceland. It does not work for those trolleys were you put coin/token onto a tray and push that in to release them. This is the 'key' for these trolleys

• Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I drive by the Aldi store at 7.45am and the care park is half full and there are usually about 8-10 people queueing outside - I guess the rest spring out of their vehicles when the doors open at 8.

I noticed something that looked deliciously interesting in Lidl this evening - Sondey cookies in lemon and white chocolate. Has anyone tried them?  
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • duncanthedogduncanthedog Forumite
    4K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I drive by the Aldi store at 7.45am and the care park is half full and there are usually about 8-10 people queueing outside - I guess the rest spring out of their vehicles when the doors open at 8. 
    If I need to go early to Lidl or Aldi I time it to get there about 8:15 and that way the ones that are in a hurry have made it at least halfway through the shop and I can go at my own pace well behind them, the tills are usually clear by the time I get there as well 
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    39.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mikb said:

Not the case where I am.
    Morrison's got rid of the trolley locks as they felt it was either putting people off shopping there or people were using a basket and so spending less as they didn't have a pound/trolley coin.
  • RockhopperRockhopper Forumite
    15 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Lidl seems to have stopped selling my favourite humous flavour (red pepper). They have replaced it with "Sweet chili" flavour, which is utterly disgusting. It seems to contain a lot of sugar and is far too sweet. I don't really need any sugar in my humous. Does anybody know whether Aldi is still selling their red pepper humous? It is not as nice as the Lidl one was but it's definitely better than the sweet chili one. 
  • od244051od244051 Forumite
    625 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    Lidl seems to have stopped selling my favourite humous flavour (red pepper). They have replaced it with "Sweet chili" flavour, which is utterly disgusting. It seems to contain a lot of sugar and is far too sweet. I don't really need any sugar in my humous. Does anybody know whether Aldi is still selling their red pepper humous? It is not as nice as the Lidl one was but it's definitely better than the sweet chili one. 
    Alternative thing to do is make your own red pepper humous. Cheaper, nicer and healthier. Tin of chickpeas (drained), glove of garlic, squeeze of lemon juice and a pepper from a jar of pickled peppers. Seen them in B&M, Farmfoods etc. Stick them in a food processor.