Making cash from online survey sites - new MSE guide

edited 28 January 2013 at 5:23PM in Boost Your Income
548 replies 245.4K views

Replies

• nandrewsnandrews Forumite
    217 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Sorry you found that too, but are there any survey panels that are better? Not many I fear and I have tried quite a few.
    I think the whole industry is geared that way and we the panel members are so much chaff in the wind.
    I have written MSE about them encouraging people to use Swagbucks, when they of all should be campaigning against them!
    My communications with MRS would suggest that they support their member panels, to behave in much the same way. As they know at the moment they have the upper hand. Complaints about panels fall on deaf ears with them.
    I would like to think through this site, by joining together and maybe bringing MSE onside we could turn the tables and get proper respect for the time and effort we all put in.
  • mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
    44K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a couple of hours a week when it is totally convenient to me I have averaged over £1200 a year for the last 3 years from real survey sites, a data tracking app, recording some purchase info and a few swagbuck activities - I get paid exactly what I expect when it I expect it.

217 posts
    ✭✭
    That's good to know. Perhaps you will be willing to share the "real survey sites" you found that work well for you.

44K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nandrews said:
    That's good to know. Perhaps you will be willing to share the "real survey sites" you found that work well for you.

Apart from a few "invite only" things it's some of the sites that are on the MSE list that actually run surveys for themselves and not sites like swagbucks etc that simply have surveys for other sites and always pay less than going direct as they obviously want a cut of what the actual site pays - a survey that paid me £3 I saw offered on SB for 29 SB which is about 21 pence. The purchase info sites are worth over £300 a year, data tracking over £100.

217 posts
    ✭✭
    OK I guess you've found the secret and don't want to ruin it by sharing - that's understandable. But for the 'other' survey sites, what's your take on the way they deal with members and invites? I am probably on a hiding to nothing, but I find they behaviour quite disgusting and will campaign for their proper regulation. Thinking of the many thousands of people that they rip of by taking their opinions for a trifle.
    44K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nandrews said:
    OK I guess you've found the secret and don't want to ruin it by sharing - that's understandable. But for the 'other' survey sites, what's your take on the way they deal with members and invites? I am probably on a hiding to nothing, but I find they behaviour quite disgusting and will campaign for their proper regulation. Thinking of the many thousands of people that they rip of by taking their opinions for a trifle.
    In my experience most sites say what they pay for a survey and the approx time it takes - people are not forced to do them so it's up to the individual if they are willing to accept the equivalent of less than £2 an hour for what they do - swagbucks (and some others) usually have a very poor hourly rate for surveys (less than £1.50 an hour) but I had one recently that was the equivalent of over £21 an hour again it's about how selective you are - Nearly all the survey sites I use are on the MSE list but so are 17 that based on personal experience I choose to avoid (inc a few I haven't tried). 

The is a long list of sites here, ignoring the "featured" sites, they do seem to be ranked by user ratings (they have Yougov at 4 I found the site worked well but the rewards were far too small) 
    https://www.surveypolice.com/countries/united-kingdom

• allison445allison445 Forumite
    521 posts
    ✭✭
    nandrews said:
    I think it is all down to personal choice there are some sites I use which others hate and vice versa it also depends massively on your demographics how much you can make
    I make a decent amount per month on 5 sites I use regularly was 6 but 1 has reduced the amount they pay on there surveys massively a 15 minute survey for 6p just is not worth my time
    It's trial and error and not a one size fits all experience I have went through dozens of sites before I found the ones which work best for me 
    Must admit I have never tried swagbucks although I have done some of there surveys via other sites
    217 posts
    ✭✭
    The case is not about what they say they will pay for a survey, but what they actually pay, how much and if they will pay at all. Indeed we are free to choose whether to enter a survey or not. But my gripe is when I receive an invitation to enter a survey, from a company who I have given an extensive profile to. Then they ask me maybe three questions such as age, gender, location and then reject me based on my profile. I say, why was I ever bothered by them when they clearly already knew I could not enter!
    You may do surveys for the compensation they will pay you, but they say it's not a paying deal and that they expect your opinions to be given voluntarily. Which us why the compensation is generally very small. But even so, as volunteers, I feel I deserve more respect for my time and effort than just being selected apparently at random, without regard for the details they already know.
    I appreciate that for some the choice of survey panel is a personal preference. But it's still worth sharing the reasons why, as the plus points maybe be helpful to others. Indeed the negative points may not have been realised by someone else and their mention might save them much wasted effort.

• edited 19 May at 8:45PM
    mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
    44K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 May at 8:45PM
    nandrews said:
    The case is not about what they say they will pay for a survey, but what they actually pay, how much and if they will pay at all. Indeed we are free to choose whether to enter a survey or not. But my gripe is when I receive an invitation to enter a survey, from a company who I have given an extensive profile to. Then they ask me maybe three questions such as age, gender, location and then reject me based on my profile. I say, why was I ever bothered by them when they clearly already knew I could not enter!
    You may do surveys for the compensation they will pay you, but they say it's not a paying deal and that they expect your opinions to be given voluntarily. Which us why the compensation is generally very small. But even so, as volunteers, I feel I deserve more respect for my time and effort than just being selected apparently at random, without regard for the details they already know.
    I appreciate that for some the choice of survey panel is a personal preference. But it's still worth sharing the reasons why, as the plus points maybe be helpful to others. Indeed the negative points may not have been realised by someone else and their mention might save them much wasted effort.

I have always got paid the stated amount, if there is a screen out within a handful of questions it doesn't bother me (I would guess maybe 1 in 10 for direct surveys) - For all the sites I use it is a paying deal and time is rewarded - it is voluntarily only to the extent of whether to complete a survey or not but them rewarding for a completed survey is not voluntary.

The "SurveyPolice" site (link already posted) rates over 100 survey sites and there are also user reviews for many of the top sites on there

There are also numerous threads in this section on MSE with comments on many different survey sites.

• MoonChild91MoonChild91 Forumite
    106 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Does anyone have any experience with Life Points? I've had them recommended to me but can't find much information on MSE. 
    2020 wins: £30 H&M giftcard, Deciem skincare bundle