Daydream fund challenge part 4

edited 4 October 2014 at 12:24PM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
10.4K replies 816.1K views

Replies

• ukmaggie45ukmaggie45 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    We're OK, touch wood. Our son in law is shopping for us once a week - I think he's glad of the chance of a drive over from The Wirral to get some peace and quiet - the GrandTwins can be a bit Full On!  ;)

Building work continues on our next door neighbours extension (the other half of our semi-detached, so it's a bit  noisy some of the time), but will prob stop at end of this week as they can't get the materials. They have 2 smallish children, and he's working from home, so it can't be much fun living in a half finished house. Can't get windows, and not sure if they will be able to finish the roof anytime soon. The timbers are up, but if they can't get tiles that's going to be a problem. I really feel for them.

Our tulips are putting on a wonderful display this year. OH has been bringing a bunch in every few days for me to enjoy. The flowers are absolutely MASSIVE! Never seen such huge tulips before. They've really been cheering me up. And I've been watching the birds as best I can from bed. Have a couple of sightings of goldfinches most days, this morning one of them was carrying a beak full of fluff. Have to keep the blinds drawn most of the day though, it just gets too hot in here with the solar gain!

OH is weeding the garden to try and clear enough space to put some potatoes. Don't want to have them all at the lottie in case it gets shut down. He's started off some broad beans (still to emerge!) in pots, and also sown cavalo nero seed too. 

Just seen 4 geese fly over.  :)
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    31.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a pair of goldfinches that have built a nest in a standard bay tree out front; it's not even 2' across!
    We'll be netting the bottom of it today, because the cats already know. :|
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Santana.....err... Kanami Tono?
  • edited 9 April at 10:58PM
    RASRAS Forumite
    28.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 April at 10:58PM
    maggie
    When I was in the Lofoten Islands, the locals planted a broad bean between every other potato plant. I assume this helped the tats and maximised crops. Their allotments were amazing, radiating from a central fire place.

Dave, burger about the rain, yes it is a long term pattern, we get very dry springs after sodden winters which ain't good and doubles the workload.

The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Jojo_the_TightfistedJojo_the_Tightfisted Forumite
    27.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first Mason Bees were out this morning. That cheered me up, as they always come just before the weed patch explodes into masses of white blossom.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fabulous photo Dave!
    31.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    greenbee said:
    Fabulous photo Dave!
    Thanks. It came out better than expected, considering I shot it through the glass in the back door and cropped it heavily!
    The 'cabbage white' butterflies I saw are male and female orange tips.... according to DW..
    Here is the ridiculously small bay tree the goldfinches are nesting in:

And the nest with 3 eggs. The female doesn't sit all the time, so we nipped out and grabbed this shot while she was off for her daily jaunt. Then it's back to self-isolating...
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
  • RASRAS Forumite
    28.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They really do need your help if they are to have any hope of raising young!

Re the orange tips, haven't seen any this year. A friend asked me about a pale yellow butterfly she saw in her garden. Even without  seeing it, I'm pretty sure it will be a Brimstone, which I have seen in previous years. Just it's cold right now.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • pink_poppypink_poppy Forumite
    1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Love the photos Dave  <3 that nest is a work of art  <3
    Caledonia dreamin' ...
    31.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RAS said:
    They really do need your help if they are to have any hope of raising young!
    Yes, well, I did suggest putting them off so they went somewhere more sensible, but like many of my suggestions....... :/
    The standard bay tree is very visible from the dining table.

469fc3ds43h3.jpg