Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
Things may (or may not) get better

Replies

• NannytoneNannytone Forumite
    363 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I would have thought that apart from financial support what, then the obvious place to look is your local authority.

What would you expect the government to do for individual disabled people ?
  • speedfreek1000speedfreek1000 Forumite
    373 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    It's a complete mess and even to get one of the new priority Super Market home delivery slots you need to know what you are looking for. 

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable

If you couldn't tell that's the application to try and get registered with the Govt as vulnerable. If they say yes you then need to contact whoever at the Supermarket and get them to agree. I haven't a clue what else it opens up and haven't applied.

Note the complete lack of guidance, complete lack of how this might help you and also it's very hard to find unless you know the exactly what you are looking for + you need to be computer literate.

• Gig1968Gig1968 Forumite
    216 posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    The government has completely ignored those people who need help financially and with the need for shopping. Those that receive legacy  benefits have had no increase and yet those who receive universal credit have receuved 20% more. We have had no access to online delivery slots or access to early morning shopping hours like pensioners . I have to say each time I watch that chancellor I just wish he could understand the needs of people that need it as much of others who have been laid off work. We need to eat and should not be made to queue as we are not able to like others are.

• venisonvenison Forumite
    4.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    UC hasn't increased by 20% but by £20 per week from 6th April with first payments due around 12th May
    Boycott the right wing press !
  • ididntgetwhereiamtodayididntgetwhereiamtoday Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    You want a carrot?
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
  • speedfreek1000speedfreek1000 Forumite
    373 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    You want a carrot?
    Not anymore my ca-rro-tastrophe has been ended :)

Thanks for asking though!

Found a small local shop and now have 3 carrots and know where to get more with zero queuing! 

Checked out how to declare being vulnerable and by screen 3 it tells you what conditions they will consider. 

Zero provision for any mental health issues as they are all physical.

All this queuing (I can't speak for anybody else) is causing me a few issues with panic attacks and fatigue atm. That coupled with the stress of having to fill in a new ESA50 - arrived before the lock on activity 24th Mar so filled in and sent yesterday. 

I'm still good for meat (freezers full of it) but don't have much fresh storage. So I'll be thankful when this double bank holiday is over! 

Problem is by the time I realised just how messed up things would become most online delivery slots were taken for at least 3 weeks in advance. 
  • edited 12 April at 9:27AM
    50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 April at 9:27AM
    Nannytone said:
    I would have thought that apart from financial support what, then the obvious place to look is your local authority.

I have now heard from my LA - they direct me towards local Facebook groups 
    But when I contacted them : they informed me that before they can help me - I need to register with the LA!!
    So I went back to the LA who told me that they were unable to help me because I don't fit their criteria....
    My wife is self isolating and my mobility is zero
    I also suffer from Parkinsonism, high blood pressure and am borderline diabetic !
    Supermarkets won't let me register either
    Things may (or may not) get better
  • _shel_shel Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    50Twuncle said:
    Nannytone said:

But when I contacted them : they informed me that before they can help me - I need to register with the LA!!
    So I went back to the LA who told me that they were unable to help me because I don't fit their criteria....
    I also suffer from Parkinsonism, high blood pressure and am borderline diabetic !
     Because non of your conditions make you highly vulnerable. Of course they effect you a great deal but you are no more at risk than anyone else. 
    Don't Buy The S*n
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    My wife is self isolating

By choice or with symptoms?
  • Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    1.3K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    50Twuncle said:
    Nannytone said:

All of the local help initiatives I've seen and heard about were set up to help anyone and everyone who needs it, for whatever reason - no gatekeeping and no requirements other than trusting people to only make use of it if they need it. I don't know what kind of Facebook groups you've tried but the sort of community initiative that is there to provide the help is completely unofficial and set up specifically for the pandemic. Our village network is basically one person coordinating everything via phone and e-mail.

If you do get anywhere, please try to remember that you are relying on people to help you out of the kindness of their heart, and that any help is a gift rather than an entitlement.