edited 29 November 2019 at 9:03PM in Debt Free Diaries
891 replies 63.3K views

Replies

• BlackCoffeeNoSugarBlackCoffeeNoSugar Forumite
    663 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Gratitude log continued: 
    • PD and I are in a proper little WFH routine now - she sleeps near my desk all day, and it's so nice having her there   
    • A busy work schedule - helps keep your mind occupied with things other than the outside world. 
    • Podcasts covering interesting topics - I'm catching up on old episodes of This American Life (really interesting stories, not always American-centric), The Moth (people standing on a stage, telling you a story about their lives), and From Our Own Correspondent - as well as a few alt-comedy ones for a bit of light relief.
    • A few new knitting projects - I really need to finish one big one off, but it's fun to have a few on the go. I'm very good at casting on, but not so good when it comes to the end. I'm not sure why, I think I don't like the thought of it being final - so if I keep the project on the needles, it's still got potential to get better! Silly really. I'm going to attempt socks once I've finished my current cast-ons. 
    In MSE news - budget is pretty blown for this month, but I'm in good shape, all things considered. Bit less went to the EF than anticipated, but not too long to pay-day so I'm not sweating it too much. Looks like it will be a cheap month ahead anyway... always a silver lining! 

Hope you're all staying safe at home :heart: 
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 Debt at Nov 2019: £0 :)
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, even if it's a little longer. Suits you.
  • mark88manmark88man Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    sounds like you are really rocking it.  really very little to say - just keep on keeping on.  check the front door hasn't seized up every now and again, but that's about all
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)
    Weight/Health - 1/1/2020 - 121kg : 27/06/2020 - 107Kg - Last month +1kg
    12/19: CC:[email protected]% - Car:[email protected]% - Mort:[email protected]% = £140K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2019:£16K 2020 (YTD): -£15K
  • moving_forwardmoving_forward Forumite
    349 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Don't worry about trivial wobbles, sometimes things can affect you more than you realise and not being in contact with people can really affect mental health.  The fact you managed to acknowledge your wobble shows you know deep down its all ok x
    Hugs to you and PD xx
    Grocery Budget -Blown Mar, Apr, May most of Jun to date.  This needs attention!  :#
    Personal stretch target - Get an emergency fund of £500 -£47.20 at 01/07/20

• edited 2 April at 7:20PM
    BlackCoffeeNoSugarBlackCoffeeNoSugar Forumite
    663 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 2 April at 7:20PM
    Still haven't left the flat :lol: 

In all honesty, I haven't needed to - although I think I will pop out tomorrow for a mini-shop. I still have lots of root veg, but I would like some tomatoes and peppers, something fresher!  Cauli and celeriac still need using up but I have some plans for both. It's been nearly two weeks since my last shop, so I think I can justify it ;) 

Budget is all set up on YNAB for this month - I don't have too much changing from month to month, but all bets are off this month! I have allowed a bit more in my grocery budget. I shouldn't need it - but local shops are a bit more expensive and limited opportunities to shop around as I usually do, so best to be on the safe side. Other categories are cut back accordingly. The only thing I am considering is cancelling my bus pass for the month, but I don't want to do that quite yet - it does give me a transport route if needed (e.g hospitals or vet), so I think I'll keep it and hope I don't have to use it. 

Hope you're all staying safe and well :heart:
     (and if you haven't watched the Arnie videos with his pets, I do recommend!)

Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, even if it's a little longer. Suits you.
    663 posts
    ✭✭
    So, as planned, I went out for a top-up shop - it's only a wee local/express shop, so it was more expensive than I would normally allow, but within budget....and it also included two bottles of wine :lol:  (and treats for PD). All very quiet as it was limited to 10 people at a time in the shop, and well stocked - a bit too well stocked, so much yellow sticker bread! (so yes, I bought a loaf).  Will make soup tomorrow (to use up some root veg) for upcoming lunches. 

A local yoga studio is running free online classes, so I'm going to join in a beginners class this weekend. I know there are lots available online, but I like the thought of supporting a local place. The classes are free, but you can donate if you like, so I probably will give them something - will see how I go. I can feel my spine crunching if I don't stretch a bit during the day, so I think I really should do something about it! ;) 

I've also found a new favourite podcast - Revolutionist History by Malcolm Gladwell. Each episode focuses on something from the past and questions if it was right or not. All sounds very worthy, but it's really engaging and interesting. Good to have on whilst I'm knitting or cleaning - makes a change from the constant news cycle!
  • edited 4 April at 9:49AM
    mark88manmark88man Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 April at 9:49AM
    That podcast sounds interesting.  I've also discovered a bit of a fondness for reddit - maybe late to the party but some of the humour is off the wall and there is a lot of decent helpful people - although it has to be said a noticeable minority of trolls, dobbers and eejits.

I know what you mean about the grocery budget, but your success last year means you can now cover that without being too stressed.  2 bottles of wine sounds like a party (apparently Sainsbury's are only allowing 3 per day, which I'm finding hard to get through!) :smirk:  - seriously though we are not big drinkers, but OH and I have been having a G&T or a wee dram of an evening from our collection of poorly used bottles - may actually get some of them finished and decluttered

I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)
    Weight/Health - 1/1/2020 - 121kg : 27/06/2020 - 107Kg - Last month +1kg
    12/19: CC:[email protected]% - Car:[email protected]% - Mort:[email protected]% = £140K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2019:£16K 2020 (YTD): -£15K
  • moving_forwardmoving_forward Forumite
    349 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Keep meaning to try yoga but am usually too knackered (read lazy) of an evening to try anything mildly energetic!
    Do let me know how you get on trying yoga with PD on hand to join in :wink:  I can only imagine trying downward dog and finding Puss Cat and Dog decide it looks interesting and either tripping me up or licking me to death.  Not that I could attempt downward dog with the state of my back at the minute.  I was due to be sent for physio but of course this nasty virus has put pay to that so Im staying on the tablets until things get back to normal.

Grocery Budget -Blown Mar, Apr, May most of Jun to date.  This needs attention!  :#
    Personal stretch target - Get an emergency fund of £500 -£47.20 at 01/07/20

663 posts
    ✭✭
    Sometimes it's just quite nice to lie down on the yoga mat :lol: 
    This is pretty much PD's attitude: 

I wonder if I could make her a head-band... :hushed:
    Back to MSE matters, and budget is all on track. I made a sort-of Jamie Oliver recipe from the TV show (bread, sausages, cannelini beans, tomatoes - bung it all together and bake) which was quite tasty, and tonight I'm making a potato and mushroom dish, based on that lovely Nigel Slater recipe I mentioned a few months ago (I think). I don't have any tallegio, but I do have some brie, so that will do. 

I'm not sure what it is about being in lockdown, as obviously I'm not going anywhere, but I am losing weight. Think I'm just getting a bit of a better life-balance - even though work is full-on and I'm not getting much of a break at all, I'm still getting more sleep, and I'm eating better on the whole (the brie and potatoes tonight will probably put paid to that!) and there's less irritation from being around colleagues. I just have to cope with PD having a chat with me whilst I'm on a call (or having to apologise for her loudly having a bath) :lol:

Hope you're all staying safe and healthy :heart:

• StartingAgainAt29StartingAgainAt29 Forumite
    329 posts
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    That GIF :lol:
    I'm losing weight too!! My trousers are hanging off me and I can't work out why! I just counter-balanced it by buying loads of Easter chocolate in my weekly shop yesterday! :smiley:

Nov 19 CC was: £1334.95 Now: £0!! 1% challenge - 100% Savings:£100 February take lunch to work: 19/18
    Made in Feb: £41.68 Made in March: £32.15
    Made in April: £31.79, Made in May: £30.18