Nursery Fees - Coronavirus closure

actionyumactionyum Forumite
3 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
MoneySaving Newbie
We have been informed by our nursery that if they close we are still liable to pay fees to secure our daughters place in return. This is in the contract and we don’t want to see our nursery go out of business. 
However the contract wasn’t signed or I imagine written with a potential 16wk closure in mind. Do we have any rights as we would be paying for a service we are not receiving? 

Replies

• BrassicWomanBrassicWoman Forumite
    3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    In one breath, we want them to be open; in the next, how can we get out of paying?

you can give notice per your contract.

Have a conversation. If I were the nursery, I’d take into account the costs of not running and offer a reduction/ retainer. But please, do it with kindness, not a law book.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    42.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd want to know whether they are still paying their staff, if they are then it is fair that they get an income. If they are not paying staff then I would be reluctant to pay.
    Usually found at a vaccine centre 💉
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • Retireby40Retireby40 Forumite
    601 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    One thing to remember is if you withdraw your child from the nursery is there an alternative if things reopen sooner than expected?

It is hard to pay for a service when you arent getting one so hopefully they can arrange something. 
  • Danny_BakkerDanny_Bakker Forumite
    7 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    It is a valid question and one that I wonder about as well. The bit that sits uncomfortable with me is that the owner of the nursery is driving a Maserati and parks it in front of the nursery every day whilst paying her staff minimum wage. She reaps the benefits of the nursery when things are normal but as a business owner you you carry the risk as well?

I know these are exceptional times and we need to work together but I have a family to support financially myself as well? 

What are other nurseries doing regarding the cost?
  • JReacher1JReacher1 Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
     I think if you’re still getting paid your normal salary then you should continue to pay for things like this. You’re no worse off and it will ensure businesses stay open and people don’t lose their jobs. 

If you yourself are facing a salary reduction then you’ll need to cut costs to survive yourself  
  • thorsoakthorsoak Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is a valid question and one that I wonder about as well. The bit that sits uncomfortable with me is that the owner of the nursery is driving a Maserati and parks it in front of the nursery every day whilst paying her staff minimum wage. She reaps the benefits of the nursery when things are normal but as a business owner you you carry the risk as well?

I know these are exceptional times and we need to work together but I have a family to support financially myself as well? 

What are other nurseries doing regarding the cost?
    You  chose what you spend your earnings on;  why should not the nursery owner chose whether s/he should run a maserati or a corsa?     

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    The problem is, what if the OP loses her job because of a lack of child care or has to pay twice for child care (if she can find it).  Is the OP in a key worker position (where she should still be able to get child care).
  • CJTECJTE Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    My terms and conditions also state full fees are payable. On the one hand if you don't face a loss of income then you should still pay. But what about those who are? Some may have been forced into unpaid leave, or had to take it to cover the lack of childcare, they may face bankruptcy or food banks because they have to pay for a service they're not receiving in order for the key workers to not face the same fate. Who is anyone to decide that one person's living is more important than another's. We should all work together to get through this, but ultimately someone will loose out or suffer financially.
    Also surely the day care nursery insurance would cover this if it's government edict? If it doesn't then why not? Surely that's the point of insurance?
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what the current standard terms of insurance for day care cover, but I predict pandemic cover will be expensive in future, if available at all.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • DevilsAdvocate1DevilsAdvocate1 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be a registered childminder and always took the view that if I couldn't provide the service then my clients did not pay.  If they chose not to use my services (for example if their child was ill or if they had a day off work and wanted to spend it with their child) then they did pay.  If they are not providing the service then I would not be paying.