New Post Advanced Search

New Extreme MoneySavers ITV show

14 replies 10.9K views
MSE_LukeMSE_Luke MSE Staff
295 posts
Fourth Anniversary
MSE Staff
Over to Martin: "I'm working with ITV on a new show, where we meet the nation's super-savers, those obsessed by saving money, and particularly those who have built up a real speciality in one area, and can inspire others. This is for those both thrifty and nifty. We want to meet you and hear about what you do. So perhaps you...

- Never waste a drop of water - recycle the shower water into the loo cistern, then use what's left to water the plants, and of course, only flush the loo for the brown stuff!

- Are an extreme traveller. You focus on price over convenience, crossing the country to cut costs to the absolute minimum, splitting your tickets and more.

- Super-vinegar cleaners. Do you never pay for cleaning products, and instead do it all with the best stuff, home-made?

Or you could be a comper, a stoozer, or anything else. If you think you've got the saving material needed, then just email [email protected] and let the team know.
«1

Replies

  • NCC-1701NCC-1701 Forumite
    530 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭
    How much does it pay? Remember this is a money saving site.
  • TspiceTspice Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I definitely would say I'm a haggler. Getting deals on everything I can. My main one is my TV, broadband etc.. I currently pay £22 for my virgin media package and in the 3 years I've been with them I've never paid more than £35 a month for a package. 
  • brian_salmonbrian_salmon Forumite
    2 posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    it's just a silly thing but we use loads of juice and milk cartons and because they can't be recycled we use them to put our none food waste rubbish in and because they are small they fill up quite quickly and can be disposed of daily so no big bag to take out of the bin,
    also we use the plastic bag that our bread is rapted in or any other plastic bag without holes in it to put our food waste in to so it can be put our in to the dustbin on a daily basis and no smelly bin hanging about, watt can be recycled we try our best to do so we even put used silver foil in to tins before we crash them and put them in to the recycle bin.
    just silly things but we hope that it will all help !!!
    a footnote can you find out why our Nottingham council transports all our recyclable waste down to Dagenham in Essex to be recycled ??   
  • SandiP_2SandiP_2 Forumite
    4 posts
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    As I recycle everything in my home, I never put rubbish out to be collected in black sacks. So a neighbour a few years ago, thought it would be "cute" to contact the local council (Colchester Borough) to let them know that I do not put any rubbish out. So, we had a council official come to see why I do not put rubbish out for collection. They soon found that I do, in fact recycle all my rubbish and I am also a member of Terracycle and as such I save catfood pouches/biscuit/sweet/toothpaste tubes/crisp packet wrappers and when I have a goodly amount I take them to our local "drop off" site. Also if I have a paper toilet roll tube I squeeze it into another until I can`t get anymore in and I also do that with the kitchen roll tubes as well, then it goes into recycling.
  • falcierifalcieri Forumite
    181 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I would love to do this show, but the people in my life would be horrified to see the things I do to save a buck.
  • falcierifalcieri Forumite
    181 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    SandiP_2 said:
    As I recycle everything in my home, I never put rubbish out to be collected in black sacks. So a neighbour a few years ago, thought it would be "cute" to contact the local council (Colchester Borough) to let them know that I do not put any rubbish out. So, we had a council official come to see why I do not put rubbish out for collection. They soon found that I do, in fact recycle all my rubbish and I am also a member of Terracycle and as such I save catfood pouches/biscuit/sweet/toothpaste tubes/crisp packet wrappers and when I have a goodly amount I take them to our local "drop off" site. Also if I have a paper toilet roll tube I squeeze it into another until I can`t get anymore in and I also do that with the kitchen roll tubes as well, then it goes into recycling.

    Blimey. Why is it your neighbour's business how you deal with your rubbish if you're not doing anything illegal?
  • dtparkerdtparker Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    When we are about to fill a bowl of washing up water, our hot tap in the kitchen runs cold for 1 & half litres until the hot water flows down from the boiler. So we fill an empty 1.5ltr squash bottle with the cold water and use it for the kettle and cooking. We would insulate the pipes but this is very awkward and costly.
  • SandiP_2SandiP_2 Forumite
    4 posts
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    falcieri said:
    SandiP_2 said:
    As I recycle everything in my home, I never put rubbish out to be collected in black sacks. So a neighbour a few years ago, thought it would be "cute" to contact the local council (Colchester Borough) to let them know that I do not put any rubbish out. So, we had a council official come to see why I do not put rubbish out for collection. They soon found that I do, in fact recycle all my rubbish and I am also a member of Terracycle and as such I save catfood pouches/biscuit/sweet/toothpaste tubes/crisp packet wrappers and when I have a goodly amount I take them to our local "drop off" site. Also if I have a paper toilet roll tube I squeeze it into another until I can`t get anymore in and I also do that with the kitchen roll tubes as well, then it goes into recycling.

    Blimey. Why is it your neighbour's business how you deal with your rubbish if you're not doing anything illegal?
    Thank you, I creased up laughing and so did my hubby!!!
  • falcierifalcieri Forumite
    181 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    dtparker said:
    When we are about to fill a bowl of washing up water, our hot tap in the kitchen runs cold for 1 & half litres until the hot water flows down from the boiler. So we fill an empty 1.5ltr squash bottle with the cold water and use it for the kettle and cooking. We would insulate the pipes but this is very awkward and costly.

    I don't get my hot water from the taps for this very reason. I boil on the hob (ditched my kettle too) so I am literally only boiling what I need. My water bill is currently £6.06 a month.
  • Beamer6Beamer6 Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I work for a Charity and have spent the last three years renegotiating energy contracts , photocopier charges , water bills and loads of other costs - it is immoral how companies can take advantage of people and lock them into higher charges just because they don’t have the time or energy to spare to constantly check bills and charges . I would encourage anyone to talk to their suppliers - most have worked with me really positively- and do the research. However , I do believe companies should be forced to tell you if there is a cheaper tariff you can switch to . 
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support