Forum Home» Disability Money Matters

Monetary help available when you’re partner has mental health issues

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Monetary help available when you’re partner has mental health issues

22 replies 1.3K views
I’m new to the forum but wanted to share my problem and some successes. My husband had a breakdown 2 years ago and was diagnosed with depression and anxiety which we both thought would be treatable and a short term thing. 2 years later he’s still not returned to work, is awaiting a further diagnosis which has been indicated is likely between bipolar or BPD. Anyway if I knew we’d be a one income household for this long we could have done things like sell our house etc. As I’m classed as a high earner we don’t qualify for a lot of help as I’m expected to be able to pay for everything but my wage just covers essentials only like mortgage, food etc. For anyone else in this position I wanted to share some small things that I’ve found out about during the last 2 years that have helped us a little bit financially. 
1. Once his sick pay ran out we applied for ESA and due to his mental health issues he has been awarded support group level
2. he gets PIP, personal independence payment based on having to be supported to get out of bed, leave the house, talk to people etc
3. check your mortgage ins, we had been paying a tiny £6 a month for a waiver as part of our life and critical illness which we didn’t even realise  and this means that our insurance company pays themselves until he’s well again but we could still claim on the insurance as normal if we ever needed to
4. council tax reduction of 25% due to mental health
5. I applied for free school meals and clothing grant through local council, as he gets ESA we qualified, the value of a meal is added to the kids cards every day and we received £100 per child for help towards uniform etc.
6. If you can’t pay debts contact a charity or organisation and let them deal with creditors for you. I did that and although I may still have to enter into some kind of debt plan or IVA he can’t be forced to whilst he’s on benefits. All of his creditors and 2-3 of mine have agreed to let us pay £1 a month for a 3-6 month period until we can get a proper plan in place or he is well enough to return to work.
do any or all of the above as soon as possible as only ESA and council tax get backdated. 
Hope this helps someone.

Replies

• OhfeelyaOhfeelya Forumite
    39 posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Thanks so much for this! How did you get the diagnosis? 
  • tacpot12tacpot12 Forumite
    3.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really good advice. Thanks for posting. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • atlantis187atlantis187 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    How did you get the 25% council tax reduction? what proof did you have to show them?
    Also the kids clothing grant did you apply for this through the school or the council and what department within the council?
    Thanks
  • pickledonionspaceraiderpickledonionspaceraider Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread will prove helpful to many.
    Please might you share how you obtained the council tax reduction as atlantis asked? Thank u 
    With love, POSR <3
  • edited 25 February at 6:26AM
    _shel_shel Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 February at 6:26AM
    I got the 25% severe mental impairment discount for my hubby who has autism. He works yet the dr signed the form to say he had a SMP he also claims a qualifying benefit. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2017/09/due-a-council-tax-discount-for-severe-mental-impairment-heres-how-to-claim/

You can get it for things like mental health issues, autism, learning difficulties, dementia, Parkinson's etc

dr needs to agree to sign the form. 
    Don't Buy The S*n
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.4K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    debcon72 said:

5. I applied for free school meals and clothing grant through local council, as he gets ESA we qualified, the value of a meal is added to the kids cards every day and we received £100 per child for help towards uniform etc.
    May i ask how you got this? As your partner receives Contributions based ESA and you're working then it won't be because of his ESA that you receive this. Contributions based ESA doesn't automatically entitle anyone to this.

As you work, if you earn less than £16,190 per year then you would qualify, otherwise you shouldn't. You would also be entitled to free school meals for your children if they are in reception, year 1 or year 2, regardless of your income.

• 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My council has this down as only being available IF you have building works carried out on your property - eg) a seperate downstairs toilet for use by a disabled person or a stairlift - rather than the individual "just" having the condition !
    I was diagnosed with Parkinsons, 20 years ago and just live with the condition !
    Things may (or may not) get better
  • KatrinaWavesKatrinaWaves Forumite
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    50Twuncle said:
    My council has this down as only being available IF you have building works carried out on your property - eg) a seperate downstairs toilet for use by a disabled person or a stairlift - rather than the individual "just" having the condition !
    I was diagnosed with Parkinsons, 20 years ago and just live with the condition !
    If you are referring to the 25% in the OP you are talking about an entirely different thing. One is an SMI exemption for mental impairments, and one is a disability band reduction which is only for adjustments to the home.

If your Parkinsons has caused you to have a severe mental impairment, and there is only one other adult in the home, then you may qualify. 
  • 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    50Twuncle said:
    If you are referring to the 25% in the OP you are talking about an entirely different thing. One is an SMI exemption for mental impairments, and one is a disability band reduction which is only for adjustments to the home.

If your Parkinsons has caused you to have a severe mental impairment, and there is only one other adult in the home, then you may qualify. 
    I am not SMI ! - But have Parkinsons - which, in itself is classed as a SMI
    So how does this apply to myself ?
    I live with one other adult in our own property

Things may (or may not) get better
  • edited 27 February at 12:43PM
    KatrinaWavesKatrinaWaves Forumite
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 February at 12:43PM
    Parkinson's is not classed as SMI :)

SMI is classed as SMI. if you are not severely mentally impaired then you cannot apply for a discount based on this. SOME people with Parkinsons end up SMI, same with strokes, some people it only affects them physically. A Doctor would need to sign a form stating your are severely mentally impaired. If you are not, then they will not.