Forum Home » Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance

Bank says i have ppi but can’t ascertain Amoy t or how long for

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE


The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH


New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions


Bank says i have ppi but can’t ascertain Amoy t or how long for

6 replies 134 views
JmmaxlJmmaxl Forumite
3 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi can anyone help. I completed ppi enquiry forms in July 2019, got a letter back from the Clydesdale bank to say I had ppi with them on a credit card and two other accounts were marked unable to determine and they began an investigation, received a letter in October 2019 stating they would need 12 further weeks to investigate. Have called them weekly since then and been told it’s still being investigated. Called today and they have asked me to provide proof of account balances and how long I held them for as they can not determine this from their records as goes back to late 1990’s.  Has anyone else had this issue and how does it affect my claim. Thankyou. 

Replies

  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    27.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Others have had this issue but that's not important right now.

    It affects your complaint to the extent that they cannot establish what you paid.  Provide them with whatever information you have.
  • JmmaxlJmmaxl Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks for your reply. I have no paperwork at all and struggle to remember how long I had the card for and balances etc 
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    27.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll just need to let them know that and they'll work with the information they have.
  • MoneyineptitudeMoneyineptitude Forumite
    26.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jmmaxl said:
    they have asked me to provide proof of account balances and how long I held them for as they can not determine this from their records as goes back to late 1990’s.  
    Unless you can  provide evidence (statements?) from your own archive of your account balances at the time, the Bank will have no way to determine accurately how much PPI you paid (if any). PPI on credit cards was a percentage of any outstanding balance and if your account was always paid off each month it's possible you didn't pay any PPI. 

    There is (and was) no point in continually phoning them  by the way.
     
    Please don't spam the forum with duplicate posts. 
  • sun73sun73 Forumite
    489 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Jmmaxl said:
    Hi can anyone help. I completed ppi enquiry forms in July 2019, got a letter back from the Clydesdale bank to say I had ppi with them on a credit card and two other accounts were marked unable to determine and they began an investigation, received a letter in October 2019 stating they would need 12 further weeks to investigate. Have called them weekly since then and been told it’s still being investigated. Called today and they have asked me to provide proof of account balances and how long I held them for as they can not determine this from their records as goes back to late 1990’s.  Has anyone else had this issue and how does it affect my claim. Thankyou. 
    Send a SAR through their website.  As you’ve already got the account numbers there’s no good reason why the bank can’t find copies of your credit card statements and a copy of the agreement held in their microfiche records.  
    This bank were fined by the FCA in 2015 for telling customers and the Ombudsman they didn’t have PPI records or statements before 2000, which is untrue.  Since that came to light they made electronic records available for accounts opened in 1995.  I helped a relative get copies of credit card statements going back to 1996 for a Clydesdale account that was closed in 1999.   Once the statements are located they will be able to calculate an accurate offer of redress, if your complaint is upheld.
  • MoneyineptitudeMoneyineptitude Forumite
    26.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sun73 said:


    This bank were fined by the FCA in 2015 for telling customers and the Ombudsman they didn’t have PPI records or statements before 2000, which is untrue.  Since that came to light they made electronic records available for accounts opened in 1995. 
    You would think that they'd be very careful not to say they don't have records after that fine wouldn't you? (Unless, of course, they really don't have them!)

    I do agree a SAR is a wise move though...
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support