Do Trading Hours Laws apply to businesses other than shops?

Do trading hours laws apply to business other than shops, in particular; gyms, sports centres and swimming pools?
The Gov.UK websites mentions shops and law surround opening on Sundays and Bank Holidays but do these same rules apply to other business types?
In particular I'm looking at whether a small sports centre business can operate on a Bank Holiday despite being located on a large site, well over the 280 square metres specified!

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    68.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    journosam said:
    Do trading hours laws apply to business other than shops, in particular; gyms, sports centres and swimming pools?
    The Gov.UK websites mentions shops and law surround opening on Sundays and Bank Holidays but do these same rules apply to other business types?
    In particular I'm looking at whether a small sports centre business can operate on a Bank Holiday despite being located on a large site, well over the 280 square metres specified!
    I always thought trading laws related to only shops- otherwise cinemas, theatres etc would struggle to be open at the times they do their best trade, it would also seem rather strange to close leisure activities like sports centres on a bank holiday when people might want to use them more. 

This site refers to only 'shops' , so I think my understanding is correct

https://www.gov.uk/trading-hours-for-retailers-the-law
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • pogglespoggles Forumite
    107 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    journosam said:
    I think the 'trading hours laws' you refer to are those imposed by the Sunday Trading Act 1994.

The Act was introduced to provide a safeguard for shop workers, as previos legislation was repealed.

Under the Act, a “shop” means any premises where there is carried on a trade or business consisting wholly or mainly of the sale of goods.

Moreover, the Act generally covers a “large shop” which means a shop which has a relevant floor area exceeding 280 square metres, although there are a significant number of exceptions.

A sports centre, by definition, is not a shop.

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides