New Post Advanced Search

Getting on Almond milk

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
20 replies 553 views
JustAnotherSaverJustAnotherSaver Forumite
4.9K posts
Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
So i watch a fair few fitness videos as i have an interest in it and kept seeing people mentioning this almond milk as some 'health alternative' to 'usual' milk i guess. It made me curious.

I like almonds. Maybe i'll like almond milk was my thought process. I'll at least give it a try and see what it's like, especially when it came on offer.

So why on earth then would anyone choose to drink what i can only describe as liquid cardboard??? I don't know what that was but it didn't taste like any almond i've ever had.

For those who do drink shall we say 'alternative' milks, do you really need to have the sweetened version, because this was unsweetened. I can't see how a bit of sweetness is going to save this but it was the weirdest tasting thing ever.

Replies

• djp64djp64 Forumite
    148 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts
    I'm with you a 100% - the almond milk was so weird tasting that I threw most of it away.

I now have unsweetened coconut milk and it's so much better. I use it mostly with coffee so can't comment on how it would taste with cereal etc but it tastes great with coffee and it smells good too.
  • cuddlymarmcuddlymarm Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys
    I much prefer oat milk or coconut milk in my cereal or coffee. I have started drinking black tea because I haven’t found a suitable alternative.
    I’ve cut back on dairy to cut back on the congestion I’ve been suffering from.
    Cuddles
    January NST 2/16
  • JustAnotherSaverJustAnotherSaver Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. Thanks for the input.

Honestly i had one swig and that was it for me. Game over.
    My wife had it with her coffee this morning, took one sip and that was it - coffee and the rest of the almond milk down the sink & went with 'normal' milk.

How would you describe oat and/or coconut milk? If you've had the sweetened version does it taste very sugary? As i've come off all of that. I can't take sweetners or sugar with my coffee now.

I actually only have milk with coffee since i make my cereal with water (porridge) with some cacao (not cocoa) powder in for flavouring.

• MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    5.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oat milk is nice, quite creamy.

Almond milk I never liked.

Sweetened soya is fine on breakfasts.

Hemp milk is earthy.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally agree about Almond milk - I was very disappointed when I tried it last year because I like almond-flavour things.

I usually have unsweetened Soya milk, which has a strong taste that I've got used to. It's relatively creamy compared to some milk alternatives.

I have some unsweetened Coconut Milk alternative (not actual Coconut Milk) and I've found it to be quite nice in Porridge and Tea (or Coconut Chai, as it could probably be called). Not great for cereal as it's a little watery.

As a tangent, I also like Yogurt drink on certain cereal and as a topping on Porridge.

Coffee has to be black or coffee-mate (many of the milk alternatives curdle in hot coffee).
    Ex Board Guide
  • Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Unsweetened oat is between the sweetness level of unsweetened soya and sweetened soya. Sweetened oat is too much for me.

Coconut milk is quite thin but mildly sweet and, well, tastes fairly coconutty.

I've had hazelnut and cashew milk too, I don't think the sweetened versions were necessary.

I used to use unsweetened soya on my cereal, but I've since swapped to a different cereal with an extremely low sugar content (despite it being granola! ~3g sugar per 100g, from the fruit) and enjoy it with the slight sweetness from sweetened soya.

If you're not a fan of sweetness, don't bother with rice milk! It's at the opposite end of the spectrum to almond milk.

(I swapped from dairy in my cereal as it was giving me digestive symptoms. I'm okay with it in tea though, thankfully - I can't stand even UHT dairy in tea, has to be the fresh stuff!)
  • UKTigerlilyUKTigerlily Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Almond milk is rank, Oat is much nicer and i'm told Oatly's Barista is lovely in tea & coffee
  • suejb2suejb2 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭

So why on earth then would anyone choose to drink what i can only describe as liquid cardboard??? I don't know what that was but it didn't taste like any almond i've ever had.

. I have tried almond milk and it’s rank but your description is spot on. 
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it must be made from the shells.  :)
    Ex Board Guide
  • belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oat milk is the leader of the plant based milks for me. Have tried soy, coconut and almond and they are all pretty ugh! Oatly barista is good if you can get it!