Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

Going, going...still going! - Page 77

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Going, going...still going!

edited 29 November 2019 at 8:03PM in Debt Free Diaries
940 replies 67.7K views

Replies

• BlackCoffeeNoSugarBlackCoffeeNoSugar Forumite
    689 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Sounds like we're all 'all in' for a frugal February! Will be glad to see the back of January - it does feel like it has gone on forever :p

Lagging a bit in my NSDs - nothing too dramatic (rice and coffee filter papers tonight) but still more than it would be if I were better organised. I did run a pantry spreadsheet at one point, where I had everything listed, I should really go back to that. The rice is to go with a chicken and chorizo stew, which will give me about 6 portions, maybe a bit more if I'm canny.

Nothing much planned tonight - PD is currently sitting on the arm of the sofa next to me, staring intently at me and purring. Doesn't want to sit on me, just next to me :rotfl: I suspect she'll be distracted by the smell of the chicken soon enough :p I've resisted putting the heating on recently, but it's pretty chilly tonight, and she's looking a little hunched, so I've popped it on for a blast.

Budget needs a tweak, so that's going to be my next job - somehow YNAB has doubled my EF (which is not the case!) so I'll need to work out what I've done. Might need to fudge it with a manual transaction if I can't make it work. Off to tinker with it :)
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 Debt at Nov 2019: £0
    A perpetual work in progress.
    689 posts
    ✭✭
    Quick post to keep me accountable:
    NSD today :) and looking for the same again tomorrow.

I was going to do something productive this evening, but PD has fallen asleep on me, so the only thing I can do is sit here, helplessly pinned under 2.5kg of sleeping feline. :rotfl: What a shame, the cleaning will have to wait until tomorrow [STRIKE]Sunday[/STRIKE] ...

Really wish the remote control wasn't on the other side of the room through :p

Only tomorrow to get through, and then we're into February. Who knows what shenanigans that will bring ;)
    689 posts
    ✭✭
    Sad day :( but here we are.

PD woke me up at 5.30am by licking my ear which was a bit early for my liking but did lift my spirits. World can’t be too terrible a place, as long as we have small furry beasts in it :p

After my rather early start, I have so much to do today and very little inclination to do any of it :rotfl: Sometimes I think a 3 day weekend would be much better way to do things - one day for errands/cleaning/food shopping and two days to relax and reset.

Yesterday wasn’t a NSD - I got a supermarket dress for work, down to £4.50 so couldn’t really go past it. Planning on today being a LSD - have a few things I need but shouldn’t be more than £5, and definitely less than £10.

Still not entirely convinced my YNAB is correct, so that is also on my list of jobs for today. Best get cracking!
    689 posts
    ✭✭
    Stuck to my plan yesterday - spent a little more time on one task but a little less on another, so it has worked out as intended :)

Ran into a friend so had a coffee with them - it was lovely to see them but I really struggle at times with my feelings towards them. Not their fault, but they are one of those people where the world appears to smile on them. They started debt-busting last year and almost immediately won the equivalent amount, so were debt free within 6 weeks. They own a mortgage free flat in town at 35, got a fab job from chatting to someone in an airport...my green-eyed monster was roaring away by the time we finished up :o Must try harder :o:o

Today is a day at home getting things sorted out for the coming week. I have a recipe to experiment with, and will also make some daal in the slow cooker at some point.

I also have an interview to prep for (different job to one I previously posted about) - I’m on the fence about it as it would mean a pay cut (would reduce my savings to £200 per month) but would offer opportunities to progress and some qualifications to boot. However, I’m not as green as I am cabbage looking, and have been given many such promises in the past... we will see ;)

PD woke up at a far more sociable time this morning - she gave a huge yawn, rolled over (all 4 paws straight in the air) and went back to sleep again. It’s a sair fecht ;):p
  • girlatplaygirlatplay Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ran into a friend so had a coffee with them - it was lovely to see them but I really struggle at times with my feelings towards them. Not their fault, but they are one of those people where the world appears to smile on them. They started debt-busting last year and almost immediately won the equivalent amount, so were debt free within 6 weeks. They own a mortgage free flat in town at 35, got a fab job from chatting to someone in an airport...my green-eyed monster was roaring away by the time we finished up :o Must try harder :o:o

So very annoying. I can completely relate to what you say here. No matter how hard we work or how much effort we put in it all just drags along and then someone comes out of nowhere and blindsides us. You're only hearing the highlights though ;)
    Loan (£7,500) current balance: £4,423.18 :: Original DFD 01/12/2023 Expected DFD 01/04/2023
    IO Mortgage current balance: £87,390
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • PentaclePentacle Forumite
    17 posts
    10 Posts
    Your friend won't have your sense of achievement and pride, through having had everything easy for them. Jealousy is hard to squash sometimes. Go read your credit card statements again focusing on that big Zero that you owe!:D
    689 posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks both - I'm done with moping now ;) Friend certainly doesn't have the joy of PD in their lives, so I am very much the richer for that :p

Long day today.... only just really getting a chance to sit down now, I think I will be in bed early :rotfl: My interview has been cancelled, so back to square one.

In budget news, I've had my contents insurance renewal through and it's £4 higher than last year, but from running a comparison quotes, it's about the same as I would get elsewhere, so I think I will just let it renew. I have a few weeks yet to decide, so will run a fuller comparison at some point before then.

Still not 100% happy with YNAB, so may make a fresh start with it. However, I also think there are transactions missing from my current account that were cleared last week and now not there, which might be the source of some of the confusion :think: I might give it a few days to work itself out - I know exactly what should be coming out, so as long as I stick to plan, it should all work itself out ;)
  • edited 7 February at 8:10PM
    BlackCoffeeNoSugarBlackCoffeeNoSugar Forumite
    689 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 7 February at 8:10PM
    Ooh, this is different. Will take a few days to adjust and work out the kinks, but it looks much nicer. Even if we've lost some emojis  ;) (although I've found this one :mrgreen: - how terrifying! :scream:

I had something yesterday that I remember distinctly thinking 'that deserves a diary entry' but for the life of me, I can't remember  :confused:  Oh well, can't have been that exciting! 

Planning on having a quiet weekend (unless there is something I've forgotten about) - work has been a tough one so I need to do some relaxing and self care (as wanky as that sounds) I've found £1 bottles of shampoo and conditioner from Savers are sulfate free - fab news, I  <3 them and I'm never going back to buying more expensive types. Between that and my favourite bubble bath from waitrose (so worth £2) I'm quids in...and PD will be happy too  :)  Just have to prop the laptop on a safe surface within view, and maybe a sneaky glass of wine, and it will be a party in my bathtub :lol:  (as long as PD doesn't fall in)

• ChrystalChrystal Forumite
    1.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Feels really strange at the moment with the new layout... not sure what I'm doing.  :(
    Can I ask where you found the other emojis????  cos the ones I can see are really boring..... :)
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
    689 posts
    ✭✭
    I know, the standard ones are a bit dull! I need to work out a full list (as I am a geek) but if you type a colon and then start with random letters, then you can find a few more get suggested:   :cookie: (: cookie : ) without the brackets or spaces is possibly my favourite so far! Not sure we have much use for this troll face one on here (thankfully) :trollface: - but it is definitely the worst one I’ve seen!!

The creepy green face one is : mrgreen :  :mrgreen: again without the spaces. I am yet to find a replacement for my favourite ‘rolling on the floor laughing’ one on the old forum but I will persevere!