Forum Home» Freebies (no spend required)

Royal Mail Monitoring and Posting Panel - Page 296

New Post Advanced Search

Royal Mail Monitoring and Posting Panel

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Freebies (no spend required)
3.4K replies 448.5K views

Replies

• MABLEMABLE Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Back on the live panel and have about 5 cubes to post. For me not an issue. The problem I have with the two post offices in my area. I went to one on Monday that is situated in the co op. I went at the po window and no one was about. I waited patiently and in the end asked one of the assistants on the food counter and she said they will be back in 2 minutes. I then waited another 20 mins and no one turned up. In the end I handed the item to a non po members of staff and asked her to pass on when the postal officer returns. Fortunately it was already stamped.

Bearing in mind with the above issues when it came to the next cube I cycled into the city centre and used the po inside W H Smith. I thought this will be a breeze. However when I arrived there were about 20 people in the queue and only one person serving. The other members of staff was busy with someone who wanted to apply for a passport.

Again I waited patiently and it took about 40 minutes before I was served.
    Also the one person who was available to serve was running between the counter and dealing with people using the self service machines.
    This cube needed an APL so not so lucky on that one.
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    71.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    MABLE. This is an issue for me.
    As am disabled I can’t stand in a line for that length of time.
    I fear the issues that you raise are becoming the norm.
    When I raised it with the helpline that it was unreasonable to be in a queue for that amount of time they were totally uninterested.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    MABLE wrote: »
    . . .

Bearing in mind with the above issues when it came to the next cube I cycled into the city centre and used the po inside W H Smith. I thought this will be a breeze. However when I arrived there were about 20 people in the queue and only one person serving. The other members of staff was busy with someone who wanted to apply for a passport.

Again I waited patiently and it took about 40 minutes before I was served.
    Also the one person who was available to serve was running between the counter and dealing with people using the self service machines.
    This cube needed an APL so not so lucky on that one.

If I recall correctly, if staff ask you to use the self-serve machine, you are asked (by TNS) to do so. The machines provide the label to affix to the parcel. In my WHS PO if there is someone encouraging the use of the machines they are doing so without going to the counter as well - instead they are trying to reduce the queue by facilitating use of the machines.

I thought that my WHS PO was bad but your other experience (where you abandoned the stamped cube to a non-PO staffer) is even worse.
  • MABLEMABLE Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I recall correctly, if staff ask you to use the self-serve machine, you are asked (by TNS) to do so. The machines provide the label to affix to the parcel. In my WHS PO if there is someone encouraging the use of the machines they are doing so without going to the counter as well - instead they are trying to reduce the queue by facilitating use of the machines.

I thought that my WHS PO was bad but your other experience (where you abandoned the stamped cube to a non-PO staffer) is even worse.

In my local WHS the only time a member of staff will assist if someone has an issue and you have to ring a buzzer. Now if I go to the self service area and put the label on myself I then have the issue of posting the item because there is not a large enough posting box.

However I mentioned this to a member of staff when I had one during my training period and they said I had to queue up at the counter.
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    23K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And to think I moan when there are 2 people in front of me in the queue which is a very rare occurrence even over Christmas :p I love my little post office, open 6am-10pm 6 days a week, 7am-9pm Sundays ;) To think people moaned when they closed the local "proper" post office just down the road that was open 9-5 M-F and 9-12 Sat with regular queues out the door.
  • NBLondonNBLondon Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I was on the panel - I used to use a very handy sub-PO at the back of a Spar but that disappeared. There are still some good options - there is a small chain of stationers called UOE (in North London and Home Counties) which open late, have properly trained friendly staff and self-service points in some branches. Doesn't inspire me to get back on the panel as I live in South London and work sometimes in North.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • littlemoneylittlemoney Forumite
    359 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Just received a jiffy envelope from a business with only 61p postage paid on the mail mark label. Fortunately not asked to pay postage on it.
  • milliemillie Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I finished on the main posting panel 2 weeks ago. This morning I received an item containing A RFID. I just logged it as normal. I had to phone them for a return envelope as I had sent my spare ones back.
  • LittleVoiceLittleVoice Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just received a jiffy envelope from a business with only 61p postage paid on the mail mark label. Fortunately not asked to pay postage on it.

Maybe Custardy can confirm but, if it was from a business and therefore with a recognised code, if it was underfranked it may have been found at the collection office and the business asked to pay extra.
  • littlemoneylittlemoney Forumite
    359 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Maybe Custardy can confirm but, if it was from a business and therefore with a recognised code, if it was underfranked it may have been found at the collection office and the business asked to pay extra.

When I selected "other" for the value of postage the system did ask me had I selected the correct option.