Motorhome left parked on road

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
75 replies 3.5K views

Replies

• merrydancemerrydance Forumite
    649 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    We have one of these motorhomes parked on a corner in our close. Does not affect our parking as we have a drive and always use it. So many people have drives and choose to park on the street, it's a free world I suppose. But it's a nightmare as you cannot see what is coming round the corner, I have had a number of near-misses. Is it against the law - no. Would I do it - no. When they use it (once or twice a year) they put traffic cones in the space, I'm not sure if that is legal? They live in 3 bed mid-terrace, no drive or garage. They have 4 cars between them and this motorhome.
  • UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is the person who blocks the traffic who will be in the wrong.

Indeed but it is often difficult or impossible to find out who parked last and committed the offence. Even if it is established which vehicle parked last, unlike say a speed camera offence, there is no power to compel the registered keeper to say who was driving the vehicle at the time.

Until a resident's parking scheme was introduced we struggled with this sort of problem most days in the road where I live!

The fire service do of course have the power force their way past if they are attending an emergency and they suspect life is at risk......
    5.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    merrydance wrote: »
    We have one of these motorhomes parked on a corner in our close. Does not affect our parking as we have a drive and always use it. So many people have drives and choose to park on the street, it's a free world I suppose. But it's a nightmare as you cannot see what is coming round the corner, I have had a number of near-misses. Is it against the law - no. Would I do it - no. When they use it (once or twice a year) they put traffic cones in the space, I'm not sure if that is legal? They live in 3 bed mid-terrace, no drive or garage. They have 4 cars between them and this motorhome.

No it is not - but try getting anything done about it!
  • A_LertA_Lert Forumite
    186 posts
    100 Posts
    If it's big and heavy enough there might be a legal requirement to leave the sidelights on. Which makes it impractical to leave it parked there for a long time because it would drain the battery.

If it's being lived in without permission, the local authority can take action.
    5.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    A_Lert wrote: »
    If it's big and heavy enough there might be a legal requirement to leave the sidelights on. Which makes it impractical to leave it parked there for a long time because it would drain the battery.

Although many motorhomes have solar panels to keep the batteries topped up.

The trouble is, even if it does technically need lights, it is often incredibly difficult to get any enforcement action taken. Even if you did they could get round the issue with a tiny bit of solar power probably for less than fifty quid.
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    13.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    merrydance wrote: »
    We have one of these motorhomes parked on a corner in our close. But it's a nightmare as you cannot see what is coming round the corner, I have had a number of near-misses. Is it against the law - no.

If it is parked in a hazardous position, which appears to be the case, report it to your local council
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    31.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No it is not - but try getting anything done about it!
    It would be a sensible act on the behalf of a concerned resident to move their cones to a nice neat stack safely on the verge to prevent them getting damaged,
    5.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    AdrianC wrote: »
    It would be a sensible act on the behalf of a concerned resident to move their cones to a nice neat stack safely on the verge to prevent them getting damaged,

Would it?

If somebody then tripped over the cones on the verge the "concerned resident" could possibly be liable - sadly!
  • iolanthe07iolanthe07 Forumite
    5.5K posts
    My son isn't even allowed to park his motorhome on his driveway for more than two consecutive days, owing to a local byelaw. He left it there for three days once, while working on it, and a neighbour complained, and my son got a snotty letter telling him to move it.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    31.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iolanthe07 wrote: »
    My son isn't even allowed to park his motorhome on his driveway for more than two consecutive days, owing to a local byelaw. He left it there for three days once, while working on it, and a neighbour complained, and my son got a snotty letter telling him to move it.
    More likely to be a covenant on that particular development, than a bylaw.