New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Travelling On

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
4.4K replies 231.7K views

Replies

• Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff
    9.6K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 5000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr Cheery recently had shingles and we were told it's basically not contagious in normal circumstances - I mean you shouldn't run your weeping blisters on someone who's having chemo but otherwise I'm sure you'll be fine.

Having said that, while I'm sure they wouldn't let someone in their situation work if there was an issue, they should also know enough to know not everyone knows about things like that and some people might be worried by off hand statements like that without reassurance!
  • badmemorybadmemory
    3.3K posts
    Forumite
    2500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is one upside to shingles (being Polyanna here) I had it many years ago, the usual around my torso sort of thing. Where it started I could still stick a pin in & not feel a thing. Nerve ends now dead. Unfortunately I would still bleed but you can't have everything!

I agree either she shouldn't have told you or should have reassured you that you weren't going to catch it. Somewhat unprofessional in my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Mr Cheery recently had shingles and we were told it's basically not contagious in normal circumstances - I mean you shouldn't run your weeping blisters on someone who's having chemo but otherwise I'm sure you'll be fine.

Having said that, while I'm sure they wouldn't let someone in their situation work if there was an issue, they should also know enough to know not everyone knows about things like that and some people might be worried by off hand statements like that without reassurance!
    badmemory wrote: »
    There is one upside to shingles (being Polyanna here) I had it many years ago, the usual around my torso sort of thing. Where it started I could still stick a pin in & not feel a thing. Nerve ends now dead. Unfortunately I would still bleed but you can't have everything!

I agree either she shouldn't have told you or should have reassured you that you weren't going to catch it. Somewhat unprofessional in my opinion.

Thank you, both:):T

badmemory, your shingles aftermath sounds awful:eek:

This particular nurse was new to my GP surgery, it was the first time we'd met. I felt reassured and at ease by her sunny personality but in retrospect I don't really feel her manner was professional. I was in the treatment room for no more than 10 minutes and in that time I think she must have told me her whole life story. Personal rather than professional:eek:
  • badmemorybadmemory
    3.3K posts
    Forumite
    2500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

It really isn't. I just have about a square inch that I can stick a finger nail in & feel nothing. I sometimes wish that other bits of my body had the same problem. Like why couldn't it have affected my sciatic nerve. Perhaps there should be some scientific investigation into whether it is possible to infect a particular set of nerves so that you can deaden them to pain. It would save everyone including the NHS a small fortune in pain killers. I'll waive royalties!
  • KarmacatKarmacat
    33.9K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 25000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    greent wrote: »
    We use Icyland for frozen veggies, soft drinks, sometimes fresh veggies/ cheese/ tins - I go to a Freezer Wareh0use as opposed to Icyland itself - it's larger, out of town and has a larger selection than the Icyland (town centre) Oh - and fishfingers, because they are a staple food for DS2 in this house and usually cheaper in Icy than Tesc0/ Sainz. Oh - and bake-at-home Gr3ggs products..... beloved guilty pleasure in this house by most of the occupants!!! :D
    All sounds good to me - especially a Freezer Warehouse, I'd love to have one of those nearby :) and ooh... bake at home Gr3ggs! Oh my. I may have happened to have a Greggs vegan sausage roll yesterday :D
    Thank you, KC:T. There's you taking the time and trouble to find me the info I need whilst all I've been doing is procrastinate and worry:o. Bless you:A
    Awww, not a problem - sometimes its hard to remember how much solid information there can be out there.
    Thank you, both:):T

It really does - I can hear what you're saying, badmemory, about not missing the pain :eek: and if you're going to have aftereffects (like my jaw pain) then no pain is preferable to pain, thats true!
    This particular nurse was new to my GP surgery, it was the first time we'd met. I felt reassured and at ease by her sunny personality but in retrospect I don't really feel her manner was professional. I was in the treatment room for no more than 10 minutes and in that time I think she must have told me her whole life story. Personal rather than professional:eek:
    Very not-good. I think some medical professionals still don't have any training in appropriate boundaries, and no matter how good their work is, their manner leaves a memory.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • KarmacatKarmacat
    33.9K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing Egyptology meeting - about research funded by the EU, by the way. Fantastic lecturer, whose own presonal history repeated his research. He's Australian, parents are from Singapore, but another generation back they're actually Portuguese and Dutch. Talk about a global citizen! And his research is about Nubian culture 4,000 years ago, and how it was a creative hotspot, rather than the very stilted depictions from Egypt ... he got an overwhelming reception :):):) I was so glad I managed to get there.
    Retired August 2016
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Very not-good. I think some medical professionals still don't have any training in appropriate boundaries, and no matter how good their work is, their manner leaves a memory.

Totally agree, KC:T. To give her some benefit of the doubt maybe she imagines that by talking non-stop about herself she takes the patient's mind off whatever test or procedure she's doing:rotfl:. In my case she was just taking blood which I'm perfectly relaxed about. I hope I didn't unwittingly give the impression I was nervous but I went in with a smile on my face and was perfectly relaxed the whole time.
  • KarmacatKarmacat
    33.9K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good point about her possible motives. Reminds me of when I was a therapist, and I saw people at home. Sometimes clients wanted to chat, and sometimes small talk is appropriate - and its quite unpleasant/ unnecessary to have all of that one-way. So I used to talk about things that clients could see for themselves perfectly well - my cats, and my garden :):):) It put people at ease, and I only ever had a couple of problems, with aggression around my cats. Very rare though.

Today, I'm taking things slow, and chilling out sometimes, but also tidying and clearing upstairs - Christmas stuff, craft works, rags to go to the charity shop. Quite a lot of rubbish around :o
    Retired August 2016
  • themadvixthemadvix
    2.9K posts
    Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 2500 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Egyptology sounds awesome! :D See my forthcoming post on Tutankhamun - how amazing!! :D:D:D

To clarify - what I said about Icyland was entirely aimed at their 'fresh' choice - I think their frozen stuff is pretty good. I've still not had a Gr3ggs vegan sausage roll - I must investigate!!
  • edited 27 January at 3:41PM
    KarmacatKarmacat
    33.9K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 January at 3:41PM
    Hi madvix, thanks for all of that :) yep, I was so chuffed with the Egyptology, the school where they rent the hall is quite a way from the station, but *so* worth it. I'll check out your blog :) The vegan sausage rolls - honestly, they don't seem to be cooked quite long enough, they're *always* very pale, and the quorn doesn't have the nice texture of the "chicken fillets". But they're, yknow, sausage rolls :j:j:j

I've decluttered my Christmas decorations! Of the ones that stay, some will be for the wallhanging I'll do this year. And some will be in little clusters hanging from hooks - I have a polar bear splayed out over a huge bauble, for instance :rotfl: complete with imitation Christmas lights, he's quite special :)

Today, I've been on the walk, had lunch, and I'm just digesting a little in front of Escape to the Chateau DIY :D More tidying: tax papers (yay!) and food (I used the slow cooker to cook lentils and onions together, more yay!) and trying to find my desk under the long term crap placed on top of it :p

ETA - ug, 15 minutes on a survey on SB, and disqualified at the end, resulting in 1 point, not 60. I know that survey provider does it, thats the last time - and I was only doing it to make myself sit down, too! Okay, I'll just have to read my kindle :):):)
    Retired August 2016