Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

Going, going...still going! - Page 76

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Going, going...still going!

edited 29 November 2019 at 9:03PM in Debt Free Diaries
867 replies 61.8K views

Replies

• BlackCoffeeNoSugarBlackCoffeeNoSugar Forumite
    647 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Pentacle wrote: »
    I wanted you to know, today I am officially debt free! Made my final payment £410 to my last card and the balance is ZERO. I have £300 in my emergency fund to start building on. I was very lucky in that when I had my LBM, I was able to increase my hours of work, and all extra earnings were used for my debt.
    I want to thank you for being my pace setter and support, every time you made a payment, I did too, including your little morale boost payments, I tried to match them as well. You have no idea how it helped, knowing someone was working through the debt with me.
    Even better, changing my mind set about money, I have lots of saving pots for xmas, the car, birthdays, etc. I am in control! And now enjoy seeing the pot balances go up, instead of spending.
    THANK YOU, BCNS :j

:j :j Congratulations!!! :j :j

I'm so so pleased for you :D I can't take any thanks though, it's been you all the way! Fab you've got a EF to start from too, all your savings goals lined up too. Go you!!
    Here's your (now mandatory) DF :coffee: and DF :bdaycake: :rotfl:
    Go get your name on the Roll of Honour, and get a shiny badge to celebrate! :T :T I'm so chuffed for you, what a fab way to finish the most drab (drabest?) month of the year ;)
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 Debt at Nov 2019: £0 :)
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, even if it's a little longer. Suits you.
  • DrawingalineDrawingaline Forumite
    1.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Well done pentacle :j:j:T:T:beer:

Bcns I loved your wine shop foray. I think sometimes these kinds if places love customers like you. Obviously not normal cliental, but willing to set a challenge and listen and learn something new.
    Loan 5800 May 20
    Cc 1 £1900 May 20
    Cc 2 £1600 May 20

• PentaclePentacle Forumite
    17 posts
    10 Posts
    Thank you very much. Apologies for briefly hijacking your diary with my news but I was desperate to share with you! I will post on the debt free Roll of Honour, and I am walking about with a big smile on my face!!
    647 posts
    ✭✭
    Pentacle wrote: »
    Thank you very much. Apologies for briefly hijacking your diary with my news but I was desperate to share with you! I will post on the debt free Roll of Honour, and I am walking about with a big smile on my face!!

Don't apologise at all for the well-deserved-and-totally-not-a-hijack ;) I'm very glad you did share, both PD and I are so pleased for you :D
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, even if it's a little longer. Suits you.
  • bd80sbd80s Forumite
    213 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Loving the small print in your signature BCNS, really made me chuckle this morning.
    Settled to date - 3, settled - fiend loan, target 4 - 515/270, 52%, LBS lost - 32.5
    647 posts
    ✭✭
    bd80s wrote: »
    Loving the small print in your signature BCNS, really made me chuckle this morning.

:D I will hold my hands up and say I first saw something similar on an online dating profile, many years ago ;) Alas, they were allergic to cats so it was never going to be a goer :p PD was a floofy kitten at the time, I'm not quite sure where the floof came from, or where it went, as she's definitely short-haired :rotfl:

This week has been a tough one, I even looked out my emergency resignation letter at one point :o So tired. On the plus side, I've barely spent anything and can see my wages are clearing, so I suppose it balances out. I have brought quite a lot of work home with me, as it should help lighten the load for next week, but I'm not convinced :p Much more tempting to take to my bed with PD, and a book (as opposed to my current state, of balancing a laptop on my knee, PD across me, and a mug of tea, with PD acting as a semi-functional coaster ;) [STRIKE]no I don't balance hot mugs on my cat, but she's quite handy as a brief resting spot, and I take 99% of the weight[/STRIKE]

647 posts
    ✭✭
    Things are brighter this morning ;) Didn’t sleep all that well but PD and I are curled up with a coffee and Radio 4. She’s actually under the duvet, making little happy noises, the weirdo :rotfl:

Budget sorting to do today. I’m going to have a frugal month - I have spent so long with enforced frugality, I feel I need to prove it to myself that I can do it when it isn’t a necessity. Even though it was my choice to chuck everything I had at the debt over the last two years, I treated it 95% of the time as a non-negotiable payment, so I had no choice but to stick to my budget. Still finding my feet with DF living :p
  • doingitanywaydoingitanyway Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Budget sorting to do today. I’m going to have a frugal month - I have spent so long with enforced frugality, I feel I need to prove it to myself that I can do it when it isn’t a necessity. Even though it was my choice to chuck everything I had at the debt over the last two years, I treated it 95% of the time as a non-negotiable payment, so I had no choice but to stick to my budget. Still finding my feet with DF living :p
    Don't be too hard on yourself. I did exactly what you did and treated my debt payments as non negotiable payments and taking the foot off the gas once I became DF wasn't/isn't easy. You are doing great, really you are. Like you I am aiming to make February a frugal month. Just keep trying until you get there.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
    647 posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the pep talk doingitanyway :) All we can do is try!

NSD today :) Got a bad case of the "Sunday scaries" today, so I've rewritten my CV and applied for 3 jobs :o Haven't done even a quarter of what I had planned to do today, but instead I've knitted whilst binge-watching a true crime documentary on Netflix. PD has set a personal record for napping, so at least one of us has achieved something :p I'm going to have a bath later and may do some more knitting. Exciting times round here :p
  • girlatplaygirlatplay Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another one for a frugal February here. I get paid on the last working day of the month every month, including December, and I manage to budget almost fine 11 months of the year so how on earth I got through the whole of the food budget by mid-January this year I just don't know. I have all the receipts so when I get some down time I'll check them over. I know it's right but I'm just thinking blinkin' heck what went wrong?!

You (and PD) are doing a superb job. You'll get settled with the budget soon.
    Loan (£7,500) current balance: £4,546.59 :: Original DFD 01/12/2023 Expected DFD 01/04/2023
    IO Mortgage current balance: £87,410