New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Copy of Cheque

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
44 replies 1.5K views
1235»

Replies

• Dazed_and_confusedDazed_and_confused
    6.5K posts
    Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭
    And the op's husband seems reluctant to check if it has found its way, in the circumstances, to the obvious place.
  • lindabealindabea
    1.2K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    xylophone wrote: »
    But the cheque isn't missing? It has actually been presented for payment by HMRC!

It is the whereabouts of the money that has to be traced?

I agree with you. The cheque isn't missing. I'm using the term loosely as that's how HMRC refer to it. HMRC have definititely cashed it, and now we have some proof from the bank that the money has been credited to an HMRC account.
    Before doing something... do nothing
  • lindabealindabea
    1.2K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    And the op's husband seems reluctant to check if it has found its way, in the circumstances, to the obvious place.

ON the contrary. My partner is doing all he can to resolve this issue, but HMRC are digging their heel in and is now saying that their investigations to find the payment (they haven't as yet admiited that they received the payment) will take to 11th March. Until then, I don't think there's anything else he can do, other than be regarded as a total nuisance if he keeps calling them. Fot now at least, our minds are at rest that the cheque/payment must be somewhere in their system.

Somehow, I'm waiting for a letter asking for the payment or be charged interest/fine for non-payment.
    Before doing something... do nothing
  • Dazed_and_confusedDazed_and_confused
    6.5K posts
    Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a P800 is an informal calculation HMRC have no right to charge interest or penalties for non payment.

Realistically the worst that would happen is that he could get a tax code for the next tax year (2020:21) including the tax owed. But there is a while yet before that tax code would be used so plenty of time for it to be resolved and a new tax code issued before that actually causes a problem. If it were to happen in the first place.

But I'm still not sure what harm could come from a quick phone call along the lines of, hello this is my old Self Assessment UTR, can you check if there is any credit left on my account?