» »

How much speed do I need? - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

How much speed do I need?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
15 replies 904 views
2»

Replies

• ChinoChino
    1.3K posts
    Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Meg_x wrote: »
    I refused and said they should've offered me it earlier.
    The phrase "cutting off your nose to spite your face" springs to mind.
  • Chino wrote: »
    The phrase "cutting off your nose to spite your face" springs to mind.

No, I'm the same. If I've already initiated a switch and they call me back after the fact then they can go swing as I'm not getting caught in a potential minefield trying to cancel the 2nd company within the cooling off period.
  • esuhlesuhl
    9.3K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 5000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, if I am streaming three services (say BBC iPlayer or Netflix, Youtube in HD and Amazon Prime) at the same time, how many mbps would i need from the router?

According to Google, a full HD stream can use up to 5Mb/s. So three simultaneous streams would require up to 15Mb/s... and a little extra on top to cope with caching, overheads, etc.
  • edited 20 January at 10:03AM
    Biggus_DickusBiggus_Dickus
    652 posts
    Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 20 January at 10:03AM
    Just for reference:

I performed this ‘download’ experiment in October;...at the time I had 4g mobile router from ‘Three’ (unlimited data downloads) that was consistently running at 50Mbps to 60Mbps download speed.

1x 4k TV : Watching Netflix 4k UHD ‘Stranger Things’....hardwired to router.
    1 x 4k TV : Watching Netflix 4k UHD ‘Blade Runner’...running wirelessly to router.
    1 x HD TV: watching Netflix HD ‘Peaky Blinders’....hardwired to router.
    1 x HD TV: watching Netflix HD ‘Upstart Crow’...running wirelessly to router.
    1 x SKY+HD box: downloading a HD programme from BBC i-player. ....hardwired to router.

All five downloads above were running simultaneously,....no sign of stutter/judder to be seen. My laptop was also running (wirelessly) as well;

...make of that lot what you will.
  • wild666wild666
    389 posts
    Forumite ✭✭
    If you live alone the most you will need for UHD is 25Mb so an up to 38 Mb connection would be enough as you can only watch one service at a time.
    Someone please tell me what money is