»

No oil after service questionable? - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

No oil after service questionable?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Motoring
66 replies 2.5K views
123457»

Replies

• fred246fred246
    2.1K posts
    Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I buy new cars and service them myself to make sure the job is done properly. I bought one in 2015 and it's only been to a garage for 2 MOTs. Just looking at my bills it has cost £130 for 4 services which includes
    4 Mann pollen filters
    4 Mann oil filters
    4 NGK spark plugs
    1 Mann air filter
    16 litres of Comma fully synthetic oil
    It's about a seventh of the cost of main dealer servicing. I may have invalidated the warranty for years 2 and 3 but it's had no problems whatsoever. No need for any warranty work. So I am in a great position now to continue to enjoy many years of motoring with it. I normally keep them for 15 to 20 years.
  • edited 20 January at 7:22AM
    MercdriverMercdriver
    3.2K posts
    Forumite
    2500 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 January at 7:22AM
    fred246 wrote: »
    I buy new cars and service them myself to make sure the job is done properly. I bought one in 2015 and it's only been to a garage for 2 MOTs. Just looking at my bills it has cost £130 for 4 services which includes
    4 Mann pollen filters
    4 Mann oil filters
    4 NGK spark plugs
    1 Mann air filter
    16 litres of Comma fully synthetic oil
    It's about a seventh of the cost of main dealer servicing. I may have invalidated the warranty for years 2 and 3 but it's had no problems whatsoever. No need for any warranty work. So I am in a great position now to continue to enjoy many years of motoring with it. I normally keep them for 15 to 20 years.

Well you are fortunate that you haven't had to rely on the warranty. Making glib comments that a poster that doesn't pop their hood frequently or at all should do their own servicing is at best unhelpful and at worst downright irresponsible and something that can only be down to a keyboard worrier with no sense of actual empathy for others.

We only have your word for the above. So would any future purchaser of a car self serviced from new. In short, I wouldn't touch your car with a very long bargepole nor would I advise anyone else to do so. Not least because you speak with such a lot of hyperbole that your word is not reliable.
  • fred246fred246
    2.1K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    Well you are fortunate that you haven't had to rely on the warranty. Making glib comments that a poster that doesn't pop their hood frequently or at all should do their own servicing is at best unhelpful and at worst downright irresponsible and something that can only be down to a keyboard worrier with no sense of actual empathy for others.

We only have your word for the above. So would any future purchaser of a car self serviced from new. In short, I wouldn't touch your car with a very long bargepole nor would I advise anyone else to do so. Not least because you speak with such a lot of hyperbole that your word is not reliable.

You won't be able to touch my car with a bargepole. It's not for sale.
  • AdrianCAdrianC
    28.5K posts
    Forumite
    25000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You won't be able to touch my car with a bargepole. It's not for sale.
    Just as well, because with no demonstrable history from new - just the word of somebody with... issues - nobody's going to want to touch it with Mercdriver's bargepole.
  • fred246fred246
    2.1K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Just as well, because with no demonstrable history from new - just the word of somebody with... issues - nobody's going to want to touch it with Mercdriver's bargepole.

The only way for someone to get my car is by stealing it. Who's going to steal a car with no service history?
  • MercdriverMercdriver
    3.2K posts
    Forumite
    2500 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only way for someone to get my car is by stealing it. Who's going to steal a car with no service history?

The same kind that watch dodgy DVDs retrieved down the pub or online torrents. Many are poor quality and have people walking across the view. but "it's free innit"