Forum Home» Gaming MoneySaving

Scrabble replacement tiles

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Scrabble replacement tiles

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
10 replies 901 views
Be_HappyBe_Happy Forumite
1.3K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
Not the usual query but hope someone can help.

I'm looking for replacement tiles for a very old scrabble de luxe board - the non folding kind with raised ridges around each letter square to prevent tiles moving. Even has integral turn table on base.

I help at an 'old folks' club where they play scrabble and we had the constant problem of tiles moving when the board was turned round. This old set completely solved the problem, but the cream plastic tiles are worn and grubby. No amount of cleaning helps and they need to be replaced.

I've looked on Amazon and found dozens of tiles under £5 but even looking at the 5 star ones they get conflicting reviews.

Has anyone experience of buying these to recommend a supplier?

Replies

• MisslayedMisslayed Forumite, Board Guide
    8.6K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very often available in charity shops, or eBay
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Be_HappyBe_Happy Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, but no it's not the travel version. It's a very old De-Luxe version that I got on e-Bay a few years ago. Very seldom seen.

Problem is that the tiles have to be exact size to fit in the boxed squares. Modern tiles are slightly too wide, but older tiles do fit.

Plenty of choice on Amazon, but was hoping someone could recommend a reputable supplier.
  • ElefantEdElefantEd Forumite
    877 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Could you paint the existing tiles? You coudl try painting the tiles white, then using a permanent marker to ink in the letters in black. Acrylic paint is cheap and uses water as a solvent so is easy to use and not smelly.
  • edited 19 January at 12:14PM
    moleratmolerat Forumite
    23.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 January at 12:14PM
    We have still got that one from the 70s, the one with "German hand grenades" for the score board pins :p Quite a few of the full game sets on ebay around £25. Are the tiles any different from the standard plastic tiles of the era ?
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    molerat wrote: »
    We have still got that one from the 70s, the one with "German hand grenades" for the score board pins :p Quite a few of the full game sets on ebay around £25. Are the tiles any different from the standard plastic tiles of the era ?

Yes. That's the one. All in good condition except for the tiles - they have had too much wear, they're in use for a couple of hours two days a week.

I'm going to look through Amazon offers and see if any give tile measurements - I think there were some, and then hope for the best when they arrive.
  • calleywcalleyw Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Silly question have you contacted the manufacturer of scrabble?

They may well be able to help if you explain to them what issues you are having.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    calleyw wrote: »
    Silly question have you contacted the manufacturer of scrabble?

They may well be able to help if you explain to them what issues you are having.

Yours

Calley x

Thanks will try this as a last resort - think the makers of Scrabble have changed since 50 years ago, but will try if all else fails.

I'm sending off today for set from Amazon and will see what happens.
  • Bigphil1474Bigphil1474 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Another last resort suggestion - if the newer easier to obtains tiles are slightly too wide, stick something inside them to make them fit. Could just glue some card etc. inside. Would be a fiddly job, but only needs doing once.
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen plastic bags of tiles on Facebook Marketplace , a few times.