» »

Manual wash or Dishwasher? Here's a money saving tip to use less water manually. - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Manual wash or Dishwasher? Here's a money saving tip to use less water manually.

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Water Bills
34 replies 4.6K views
124»

Replies

• jayniee1964jayniee1964
    9 posts
    Forumite MoneySaving Newbie
    Dishwasher as just got such a busy life, but after reading the comments i might try washing manually to save a few coins x
  • Blackbeard_of_PerranporthBlackbeard_of_Perranporth
    6.8K posts
    Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dishwasher. It only heats the water it needs! Hence cheaper.
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
  • twopennytwopenny
    45 posts
    Forumite
    I'm on a water meter for the first time.
    I worked out it takes 2-3ltrs of cold water to run through before the hot arrives. Using a large plastic kitchen jug I run the cold water into that. Tip it into the water butt outside for use in the garden or outdoor cleaning while washing up bowl fills. Wash or wash up with hot water. Tip cooled water straight onto garden, pavers or car. Haven't killed either yet

No trouble or extra hassle at all.

Me, the dishes and the garden are clean. My bills are so low the company dropped the monthly cost to the minium and commented on the lack of waste water - so I had to explain :-)
  • ka7eka7e
    2.6K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    In an age of rampant consumerism the OP has found a practical solution that is economical on resources! I run a fully loaded slimline dishwasher about every 3 days, but I wash cooking pans and trays in a similar fashion to the OP's. They take up too much room in the dishwasher so I wipe grease off with kitchen roll and fill them with soapy water to soak. Each to their own, but I actually find hand washing quite therapeutic!
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.