»

Can I do it? Mortgage-Free in 5? - Page 14

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Can I do it? Mortgage-Free in 5?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
153 replies 16.3K views

Replies

• Interest per day down to £7.07. At least there is something that I can be positive about :)

• Continuing with the decluttering, I've managed to make £100 on auction site. It's come off the mortgage. I've got lots of overtime this month, so am trying hard to find ways to make overpayments.

• Hi Makes the days count, nice name and fitting, you are an inspiration, good luck to you, I look forward to reading more.
  • Thanks HotDog2020! Nice of you to say such kind words. I don't feel much like an inspiration if I am frank, there must be better ways to bring the mortgage down than I am doing, but am glad that you are inspired. That's the beauty of MSE. Good luck!

• savingholmessavingholmes
    10.5K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boo to the tax bill. Well done for handling it.

Have a fab week
    During 2020: Target 1) £25,121 to be repaid in 2020 @ 0% Now down to £23,813 Target 2) repay £1450 off now OP £215 mortgage now 144,760 @1.7% Target 3) Set up SIPPs Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - now done 9/52
  • kaycastlekaycastle
    131 posts
    Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic
    I feel for you on the tax bill. Well done for handling it. It's a challenge when one person is more into mortgage overpaying than the other. I have that too but am starting to make progress there.
    Oct 2017:£228,041.09
    June 2019: £209,941.93
  • Paid from second job and paid £100 off mortgage, the rest went to top up EF which was seriously depleted after tax bill. It's slow going this month and feels like an uphill battle but have to be realistic. Expecting much more money from second job next month due to number of extra hours I've worked, so need to focus on that :)

• Thanks kaycastle and savingholmes! It's really tricky when one of us is more into mortgage overpaying, but it does give me hope, kaycastle, when you say progress can be made. I just need to find some way now of disabling the one-click purchase button for Amazon on his phone without having a major disagreement :eek: :rotfl:

• savingholmessavingholmes
    10.5K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sympathise on amazon - although I am the main culprit. I have 2 things to return just from the last couple of days.
    During 2020: Target 1) £25,121 to be repaid in 2020 @ 0% Now down to £23,813 Target 2) repay £1450 off now OP £215 mortgage now 144,760 @1.7% Target 3) Set up SIPPs Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - now done 9/52
  • Paid £200 off mortgage and £500 to top up EF, taking it back to healthier levels. Slightly disappointing overpayment of the mortgage this month but it was bound to happen with DH's shenanigans. He's due a few 'extras' in his pay this month so they will be going straight to the EF.
    Is it just me or has January gone on for ever? And there is still a week to go :eek: