New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

What paperwork to shred ?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
19 replies 789 views
2»

Replies

• lewisalewisa
    301 posts
    Forumite
    I shred everything. I'm not rich enough to be a serious target for anyone other than random mass automated attempts at stealing from me such as phishing etc, but anyone can be a target.

Whether you think it important or not seemingly innocuous letters from non-financial companies are useful to someone who is targeting you for social engineering purposes.
  • Mutton_GeoffMutton_Geoff
    2K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I use a Trodat Printy 4912 Self-Inking ID Protection Stamp to mask my NAD. Saves all that shredding.

7122JVtOKUL._SL1500_.jpg
    Compensation/Refunds - £4,655 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £4,365 | Tax Avoidance - £107,000
    All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
  • traineepensionertraineepensioner
    312 posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    We just use a bucket of soapy water to render paperwork illegible. We mix general address stuff with more confidential paperwork and give it a good soak & squeeze and then off to the recycle bin......
    No longer trainee :o
    Retired in 2012 (54) :)
    State pension due 2024 (66) :(
  • misspricemissprice
    3.7K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 2500 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh I generally just burn it all. If it's too miserable to start burning stuff outside (or I like my neighbours) I shred or rip up and put in composter.
    But I do save it all until theres plenty to bother with.
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • edited 10 February at 10:15PM
    shredconnectshredconnect
    2 posts
    Forumite
    First Post Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 10 February at 10:15PM
    In general, you should shred any paper that contains name, date of birth, and any other personal information. Also, shredding bank statements, ATM receipts, credit card bills, tax forms, and licenses are also important as soon as you find all these documents unnecessary.

• TELLIT01TELLIT01
    7.9K posts
    Forumite
    5000 Posts Fifth Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also shred anything with my name and / or address on it.  Easier that way than sorting through to see what has confidential information in it and what doesn't.  The only problem I then have is that our local council won't take shredded paper for recycling so it goes in the landfill bin.
  • JackmydadJackmydad
    8.6K posts
    Forumite
    5000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I shred anything with name and address, and anything that would show who I do business with. 
    If they ain't got it, they can't find some way to use it.
  • MurmanskMurmansk
    238 posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I have a weird pair of scissors that's actually five pairs of scissors joined together - I use it to butcher the name/address/account details on post I need to discard, it's easier than a shredder for the odd document as you don't need to shred the whole of a piece of A4 just the relevant bits. 
  • Paully28Paully28
    112 posts
    Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I shred anything that i touch as the man can get my fingerprints from everything i touch and clone me.