»

Possible Transfer Value and Advice - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Possible Transfer Value and Advice

65 replies 2.8K views

Replies

• Pension_GeekPension_Geek Forumite
    205 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    cfw1994 wrote: »

Any evidence? I cannot see how any reasonable legal system would find in favour of such a plaintiff, given that scenario!

https://www.ftadviser.com/sipp/2018/09/14/ombudsman-finds-in-favour-of-insistent-client/
    Not an expert, but like pensions, tax questions and giving guidance. There is no substitute for tailored financial advice.
  • JoeCrystalJoeCrystal Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭

And we still haven't gone through the crash yet. I am expecting to see the posts from the people who transferred out of their DB pension schemes and could not stomach the losses they see in their pension pot and ask if they can complain to the advisers about it.
  • ZingPowZingZingPowZing Forumite
    535 posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭
    JoeCrystal wrote: »
    And we still haven't gone through the crash yet. I am expecting to see the posts from the people who transferred out of their DB pension schemes and could not stomach the losses they see in their pension pot and ask if they can complain to the advisers about it.

Whereas the group of people who followed advice and missed out on the bull run of the last few years will, in the main, never be conscious of the opportunity missed; and those who are have no recourse.
    what will you do now,
    with the gift of your left life?
  • ZingPowZingZingPowZing Forumite
    535 posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks, I sussed that out pretty quick from my meeting yesterday, so was going to give that impression regardless. Always helps to grease the wheels!

How did your meeting go, PlanToRetire?

Your adviser didn't suggest that your circumstances made the case for a positive recommendation
    "marginal", by any chance?
    what will you do now,
    with the gift of your left life?
  • cfw1994cfw1994 Forumite
    656 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭

Interesting, thanks.

Not entirely clear how "the client now has illiquid investments and is unable to take benefits from his pension, but the investments cannot be sold or exchanged for a cash sum without incurring a substantial financial loss"
    Pre-dated the pensions freedoms changes.....& the company was unable to contest the findings.

A curious clash between the regulator and the ombudsman.
    I am astonished the Ombudsman made their decision reading that. Although clearly we cannot see all the detail there.

It's a rubbish grey area within "pensions freedom" eh!
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • edited 15 January at 4:18PM
    JoeCrystalJoeCrystal Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 January at 4:18PM
    Whereas the group of people who followed advice and missed out on the bull run of the last few years will, in the main, never be conscious of the opportunity missed; and those who are have no recourse.

Well, we will have to wait and see. ;) It is still much too early to see how it will go, but I am one of these people who valued the idea of a DB pension scheme despite never having one. Indeed, if I am going to find a job, finding a job with a DB pension scheme is my main goal! It is really that valuable.
  • Pension_GeekPension_Geek Forumite
    205 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    JoeCrystal wrote: »
    Well, we will have to wait and see. ;) It is still much too early to see how it will go, but I am one of these people who valued the idea of a DB pension scheme despite never having one. Indeed, if I am going to find a job, finding a job with a DB pension scheme is my main goal! It is really that valuable.

I would seriously consider moving from private to public sector and taking a reduction in pay to join a DB scheme, once I have finished all my exams.
    Not an expert, but like pensions, tax questions and giving guidance. There is no substitute for tailored financial advice.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    69.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    However my main issue is that my husband is 9 years older, so if I go after him there will be nothing

By taking the pension early. You'll be suffering an early withdrawl penalty of ~ 5% pa. Factoring in future rises in inflation this makes a considerable difference to the pension that you will ultimately receive.

Does the DB pension rise with CPIU or RPI?
    "Markets have been so good for so long. That many investors are trivialising the advantages of actively managing portfolio risk." - Gervais Williams
  • Thrugelmir wrote: »
    By taking the pension early. You'll be suffering an early withdrawl penalty of ~ 5% pa. Factoring in future rises in inflation this makes a considerable difference to the pension that you will ultimately receive.

Does the DB pension rise with CPIU or RPI?

RPI.

55 is the dream, it may be anytime up to 60.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    69.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    RPI.

55 is the dream, it may be anytime up to 60.

25% plus compounded RPI is a sizable difference in a guaranteed annual start for your pension.
    "Markets have been so good for so long. That many investors are trivialising the advantages of actively managing portfolio risk." - Gervais Williams