» »

Keeping up appearances....... - Page 384

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Keeping up appearances.......

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
3.9K replies 456.5K views

Replies

• HappyNowHappyNow
    1.5K posts
    Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Dolphin Oops to not moving the goodies fast enough! Ah well, the temptation has been removed at least. And at least the rest of the targets are going well (assuming you've done the back exercises now).

I've had a google of gastroscopy and it sounds pretty grim. It doesn't sound like they will give adults a general anaesthetic either. Will they have another try and give a deeper sedation? It does sound like you just weren't sedated enough, given that you've had two before and knew what to expect.

Thanks for your thoughts on whether I'd be better not aiming for the full £700. All the unsecured debt is with B'Card, so minimum repayments are 2.25% each month. That's currently £560, so £700 isn't a massive overpayment. I chose £700 partly because that would clear the debt in three years, just as Mr H reaches state pension age and will definitely give up work so our income will drop. Also, if the arthritis in his hands gets worse and he can't work then at least the debt will be a bit lower, so the repayments will be lower.

The other thing is that with him being self-employed, when he doesn't work he doesn't earn. For instance he had to take two weeks off over the Xmas holidays when the company he works for closed down - he was only expecting one week. That has set us back a bit, and we're still recovering from the overspend on the utility room/roof!

No, I don't have an emergency fund. I do have an untouched £1000 interest free overdraft facility that I could use if necessary though.

Hmm, I think I will go for the middle ground - aim for £700 whenever I can, but not be stressed if some months have to be minimums (hello Feb and March!).

Do you know what, Dolphin, I really think it's time I did an updated soa. I use YNAB religiously but I think I need to get a proper handle on where we are now and where we will be in the future.

(ps I would never ever in a million years tell you to mind your own business, I genuinely appreciate your input :) )
    LBM Dec 2011. Aimed, but failed, to clear all unsecured debt by Feb 2019. Date extended to 'one day'... (65.80% so far).

Debt Dec 11: Unsecured £69,579 + Mortgage £59,948 = £129,527
    Debt Feb 20: Unsecured £23,794 + Mortgage £26,247 = £50,041 (61.36% paid)
  • HappyNowHappyNow
    1.5K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭
    Happy - WELL DONE ON NO PUDDING! And also the on water - it's become a habit now hasn't it?:)

Re the spends - well - there are always months where one's spends are more expensive. Plus I agree with you on getting older and wanting to travel. I feel like this myself.
    Hi SSG

Yes, the water is definitely a bit of a good habit now. I can't see doing without pudding catching on though :D

Travel/holidays are becoming more important the older I get. Without being morbid, I think I've reached an age of wondering how many really active years are still to come!!
    savingmore wrote: »
    hello happy now and everyone else.....i have been ill the last few days and have read through your whole diary.....it’s just like reading a book. have really enjoyed yr writing and living through your ups and downs.

would love to join! and see you get rid of yr debt one day soon.

i am the same age as mr. happy and gearing towards saving for retirement. like you i am 5’2” and want to get down to 8s 10-12llbs. got to my highest this time last year and finding it hard to lose the last half stone.

my goals are

only drink alcohol one day a week (yikes)
    8-10,000 steps a day
    5 glasses water day
    15 mins of exercise a day

i started running a few years ago but find these days it’s either too cold, too icy, too rainy, too windy, too hot or too many leaves on ground. i probably can run about 3 days a year! i did do couch to 5k 3 years ago, but my homing instincts took me back to couch.

new year, new vibes. i have found yr diary quite inspiring and i love yr sense of humour. looking forward to getting to know you all.

:j:j:j:j

Hi Savingmore, thanks for posting and WELL DONE for trawling through this entire diary. That's quite a lot of guff for just a few days :D

I hope you're feeling better now and ready to tackle those targets. They sound challenging yet achievable.

I started the Couch to 5K last year, but after the first week my knees were aching so I also headed for the couch. And you're right, it's impossible to run in those weather conditions (although you forgot 'too foggy' so I reckon you're down to just two days....)

Keep posting your progress - I find that's the only thing that keeps me on the straight and narrow.
    LBM Dec 2011. Aimed, but failed, to clear all unsecured debt by Feb 2019. Date extended to 'one day'... (65.80% so far).

• savingmoresavingmore
    414 posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    thanks for the welcome happy now....you are quite right, i did forget too foggy, in my books that wipes out all days, but i do look at my trainers every time i go in and out of my house! that must use some calories moving my eyes left and right again. got to be worth at least one purple quality street!

• HappyNowHappyNow
    1.5K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭
    got to be worth at least one purple quality street!
    OK but just remember to spit the hazelnut out :D

• HappyNowHappyNow
    1.5K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭
    Update for the last three (I think?) days, which for some reason I forgot to post yesterday.

) Take better care of my body and health.
    Weight - 8st 9.2 yesterday. I keep hoping my clothes will feel looser to encourage me, but nothing yet.
    Calories - Last three days I had one blue (under-calorie), one green (ideal calorie for steady weight loss) and one red (over calorie) days. Again, even the red day I used more calories than I ate.
    Water - Tick for every day
    Exercise - More than 10000 steps each day, and I've even tagged on a late night dog walk twice because otherwise I wouldn't have made it.
    Sleep - Not great as per usual. I have set myself a bed time though. Bed at 11 and up by 6 or 7 each morning, depending on if I'm working. Let's see if having a routine helps.

2) Sixteen alcohol free days in January. Up to six now and I am seriously impressed with myself.

3) Pay at least £700 off the unsecured debt. Tomorrow is payday and I WILL manage it! I mentioned in my last post that Feb and March are looking dubious, but I've just remembered there's no council tax those months. Our council tax is high at £223 monthly so that will definitely help.

• Dolphin1Dolphin1
    854 posts
    Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the welcome happy now....you are quite right, i did forget too foggy, in my books that wipes out all days, but i do look at my trainers every time i go in and out of my house! that must use some calories moving my eyes left and right again. got to be worth at least one purple quality street!

savingmore - Welcome and good luck with your targets! :wave: You can keep your purple quality street but if there are any toffee fingers going spare then you can send them my way. :drool:
  • Dolphin1Dolphin1
    854 posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭
    HappyNow wrote: »
    I've had a google of gastroscopy and it sounds pretty grim. It doesn't sound like they will give adults a general anaesthetic either. Will they have another try and give a deeper sedation? It does sound like you just weren't sedated enough, given that you've had two before and knew what to expect.

I spoke to the doctor this morning and apparently the amount of sedation they are allowed to give depends on the person performing the gastroscopy. It would be possible to have more sedation if the procedure is consultant led but the doctor doesn't want to put me through that at this stage as the tablets he prescribed are helping. He wants me continue with the tablets and see if they clear it up before going down that route. So fingers and everything else crossed that the tablets do the trick!

Thanks for your thoughts on whether I'd be better not aiming for the full £700. All the unsecured debt is with B'Card, so minimum repayments are 2.25% each month. That's currently £560, so £700 isn't a massive overpayment. I chose £700 partly because that would clear the debt in three years, just as Mr H reaches state pension age and will definitely give up work so our income will drop. Also, if the arthritis in his hands gets worse and he can't work then at least the debt will be a bit lower, so the repayments will be lower.

Ouch to that minimum payment :eek: but at least the balance is going down quickly and presumably the minimum is falling too just in case you do struggle in the future.

The other thing is that with him being self-employed, when he doesn't work he doesn't earn. For instance he had to take two weeks off over the Xmas holidays when the company he works for closed down - he was only expecting one week. That has set us back a bit, and we're still recovering from the overspend on the utility room/roof!

No, I don't have an emergency fund. I do have an untouched £1000 interest free overdraft facility that I could use if necessary though.

Not great to rely on the overdraft facility though. Would you be able to squeeze say £50 a month out of your budget for an emergency fund?

Hmm, I think I will go for the middle ground - aim for £700 whenever I can, but not be stressed if some months have to be minimums (hello Feb and March!).

Do you know what, Dolphin, I really think it's time I did an updated soa. I use YNAB religiously but I think I need to get a proper handle on where we are now and where we will be in the future.

It can be helpful to take a step back and do a financial review occasionally.

(ps I would never ever in a million years tell you to mind your own business, I genuinely appreciate your input :) )

10 characters
  • Dolphin1Dolphin1
    854 posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭
    HappyNow wrote: »
    Update for the last three (I think?) days, which for some reason I forgot to post yesterday.

) Take better care of my body and health.
    Weight - 8st 9.2 yesterday. I keep hoping my clothes will feel looser to encourage me, but nothing yet.
    Calories - Last three days I had one blue (under-calorie), one green (ideal calorie for steady weight loss) and one red (over calorie) days. Again, even the red day I used more calories than I ate.
    Water - Tick for every day
    Exercise - More than 10000 steps each day, and I've even tagged on a late night dog walk twice because otherwise I wouldn't have made it.
    Sleep - Not great as per usual. I have set myself a bed time though. Bed at 11 and up by 6 or 7 each morning, depending on if I'm working. Let's see if having a routine helps.

You are doing well on all fronts except the sleeping so I hope that the new routine works for you.

2) Sixteen alcohol free days in January. Up to six now and I am seriously impressed with myself.

Congratulations!

3) Pay at least £700 off the unsecured debt. Tomorrow is payday and I WILL manage it! I mentioned in my last post that Feb and March are looking dubious, but I've just remembered there's no council tax those months. Our council tax is high at £223 monthly so that will definitely help.

Well, that's a nice little bonus and I'm sure it will help tremendously!

10 characters
  • milannmilann
    3.3K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 2500 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone is doing well with their targets.
    I’m more a couch than a 5k kind of gal too. Although I do like a swim. I’m trying to do a swim - feeling very chuffed that I’ve worked up to 20 lengths after my arm op, an aqua aerobics my 1st last week in 2 years and had to use a diddy dumbbell and it was really tough and a session in the gym but nothing with too much impact on my bad hip - so rowing machine, bike and arm strengthening stuff. Only half an hour a session but it’s better than sitting stuffing my face with crisps and chocolate when I get in from work.
    I’m on target so far this week so far even with eating- which I’m chuffed about as it’s been quite a challenging week health wise and I usually comfort eat. Will see what the scales say on Friday.:p
  • bd80sbd80s
    100 posts
    Forumite
    10 Posts
    Hi Happy

I am currently on page 104 of your diary but as its taken me a week to get there I thought I would quickly come out of lurking and congratulate you on progress so far (no spoilers please!) and although I suspect you say no need to read the rest I can never put a good story down haha

When I'm fully caught up and provide more comments/encouragements/condolances (which ever will end up being appropriate), in the mean time keep going!
    Settled to date - 1, fiend loan 6589.36/339.39, 94.8% pd. loan 2 212.93/80, 62%, LBS lost - 15.5