Forum Home» Mortgage-Free Wannabe

22 Foxhole East - Page 170

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

22 Foxhole East

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
2.5K replies 305.1K views

Replies

• f0xh0lesf0xh0les Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will make sure my 'stamp' is paid for as long as I can get it.
    Spent a half hour on the phone to step-gran - she is thinking about going into a home (the usual January nonsense, she will do exactly as she wants). M-i-L is causing trouble again, well, she is trying. She is offended dh is not more worried about his dad and his prostate, before he had the surgery, and then he was not concerned enough about his sister, who makes so much more effort than he does, and who can do no wrong, and they should be closer (they do not get on, she ignores him when he comes into the room in his own house). Still, if she wants to see her nephews every 24 months, for 36 hours, who am I to stand in her way? Work is paying for her flights as she will be over for a conference anyway. M-i-L thinks she should get the Aunt of the Year Award, for services to buying one pair of PJs a year. Not my monkey.... not getting involved. I am now relegated to the pile of * holes who have 'married-in' to her family. Whatever!
    The mortgage deed should have hit the mat at the solicitors this morning. So I am waiting for that confirmation. Got my 'thank you' from the postal survey and my Star Wars stamps (yay!).

And I have been really flippin' good for the last couple of days, properly went for it lugging boxes up and down stairs and properly getting hot and sweaty for over an hour every f/b session and have lost 0lbs.

Just had step-gran on the phone again for another 25 minutes, poor old thing, but I have assured her that if she is having problems, I can do a Mr T's order from here and have it delivered to her. It is all very sad.

So, lots of ( mostly imaginary) family dramas going on here, probably due to their friends complaining about how awful Xmas was with their families, and the f0xh0le relatives not having anything to say, so feel the need to manufacture their own dramas, so they have something to complain about. Like the mythical snake that eats its own tail
    MFW#65 Sept 20 = £89,999.99 Under £90 k!
    E/F £14,000 + K/F £2,100
    NSTurtle # 6🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢 but I still need a new roof.
  • apple_muncherapple_muncher Forumite
    11K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jealous of the Star Wars stamps...
    NST October#; NSD ; Ex ; bagfuls (61)

Mortgage £500? ish (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate: very soonish
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, but you would not be jealous of DS1's first A level term report. Could not be more red if Quentin Tarantino had directed it. Boo! Doing well in English though.

I foresee paying a tutor in my future. If only I could buy powdered motivation for him.
    E/F £14,000 + K/F £2,100
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have been very busy cleaning, clearing and tidying and I am (today, at least) heartily sick of it:rotfl:. Urgh!

The house is looking good though, there is still a good few hours of bending, folding, chucking and sorting (and most of what is left is not even mine) of boxes, and bits and things. But I will get there. Hopefully by the end of the month I will have order. Today, I sorted 4 boxes of paperwork. Managed to thin it out by about a quarter. Now I need to review the life insurances and I think I need to tell the Child Tax people that DH is earning more, but they liaise with the tax office anyway, and I cannot give them dates of changes, or even amounts. They can sort it out between themselves and pay me less after April if necessary. The way the University works out dh's pay is not the same as how much the tax people say his pay is - and the pay increment changes half way through the year, so as it is not a large amount that is different, they can figure it out between themselves and get back to me. They don't pay me much anyway, and with them taking ds1 off the claim and then putting him back on when he passed his GCSEs - who knows what is going on!

This weekend I will keep an eye on my eating, (I am having a shake for breakfast and a shake for lunch mon-fri and just being very careful at the weekend), carry on with the clearing and sorting, and try and get rid of all the coughs that seem to be reappearing with some kids and dh. I will have to venture into the shed (never a pleasant experience) to put some of the stuff back which has crept slowly back into the house after diy jobs and car fixing jobs, and things not being put back afterwards (it involves 2 padlocks and a lot of spiders).
    On a happier note, I think I am going to research solar panels and PV water heating. I mean, if I am going to have a south facing roof, I might as well use it for good, - the kids do not seem to understand they need to turn off their bedroom lights when they go to school. It is driving me insane. Those push button timer switches are looking mighty attractive at the minute :rotfl:.

Going to try and not spend any money , for the rest of the weekend. The kids have eaten every packet of crisps in the house again - even the 12 I bought on Thursday morning. So they can do without any in their lunchboxes on Monday. I am not buying 12 packets of crisps every 48 hours and still run out after one round of lunchboxes :mad:. I am back on the crisps strike.
    E/F £14,000 + K/F £2,100
  • GlendaSugarbeanGlendaSugarbean Forumite
    689 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    De-lurking for a crisp-crisis fistbump. I buy a massive bag of crisps in the weekly shop and it evaporates within days. I've taken to hiding a couple of bags for lunchboxes!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • in_need_of_directionin_need_of_direction Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The schools attended by both my children banned crisps. This ban had been in force when I was a pupil and still is. While I complained as a pupil, I was so happy as a parent.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £59614.29 Offset fund today 1541.16 target £2000 by 31/12/20
    Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:j
    Weight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 13st 2lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.:T
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to add, they are small packets and less than 100 calories. In case anyone thinks I am the worst mother in history filling her kids with total carp.
    E/F £14,000 + K/F £2,100
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're kids. If its there, they'll eat it :) Maybe if it isn't immediately replaced they'll learn.

Mind you, we weren't allowed to help ourselves between meals. Crisps and biscuits and chocolate were kept on the top shelf in the larder. Mind you, that's when they were more expensive than real food, rather than cheaper, and saved for treats!
  • edited 18 January at 3:43PM
    f0xh0lesf0xh0les Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 January at 3:43PM
    I have discovered (with my Ms Marple hat on) that things seem to go missing in the 45 minutes they are alone between being dropped off from school, and me picking up the last one from whatever club is going on and getting in the door. Scooby doo and the hungry ghost! Zoiks! Don't even start with how quickly a bag of bagels can disappear. One minute it is there, the next, pouf! empty bag lying on the table and a confused me in the pantry going 'I know I had a new jar of peanut butter for x/y/z recipe' and although the jar is there, but there is only a smear left because they eat it with a spoon. I have stopped buying golden syrup in a squeazy bottle after being told DS2 stands in the pantry and squeezes it into his mouth from a height. Or puts it on bread and butter and microwaves it. Opening a tin of the stuff is too much effort. So old school tins are the way forward, and no plastic.

What can I say, my kids are animals when it comes to food. I am sure some of it is greed, and some of it is eating it before anyone else comes in and eats it first. Not quite the FOMO I am trying to encourage.

Last week we had Borscht (2 dissenters), veg stew, 3bean chilli (one dissenter) Salads and pittas with soy-based Greek style kebab stuff, Tempura veg with stirfried greens, Sushi, and a roasted vegetables with stuffing and gravy. Plenty of vegetables and beans going into them. They have a good breakfast, a good supper, and sadly in the middle they are feral snack monsters. Strangely the older two never spend their own money, the younger two are desperate to buy their own snacks and sweeties, the older two just steal out of the pantry, but I do not want to live in a house where I have to hide crisps under my bed!
    E/F £14,000 + K/F £2,100
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see that they may be hungry when they get back from school. Can you have an agreed snack? (And maybe tell the older two that you'll be taking the cost of any items they consume over and above what's on the plan out of their money?) It must be a nightmare for you planning meals when the ingredients are disappearing!

Some people work on the basis of individual snack boxes per child, so when it's gone, it's gone. You'd probably need biometric security on them though (maybe you need that on the fridge and the larder anyway...).