» »

Parked longer than the maximum period allowed - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Parked longer than the maximum period allowed

edited 2 October 2019 at 8:28AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
67 replies 2.9K views

Replies

• Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    82.4K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Have they said that their name is confidential? None of the Assessors are anonymous, and he/she replied openly using their name, as John Gallagher does.

Why would we protect the Sector Expert more than the Assessors?

If you are unsure, pm it to me once I've cleared a gap in my inbox in 5 mins.

:)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas
    27K posts
    Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowing the name might help get to the bottom of where his/her 'expertise' has been acquired. A bit like The Scarlet Pimpernel at the moment!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • BrucellaBrucella
    36 posts
    Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary
    He is Craig Ineson, Sector Expert at Ombudsman Services.

He has been most helpful and I am sure would welcome sharing his expertise in answering the many and varied questions that drivers might like to pose
  • beamerguybeamerguy
    13.9K posts
    Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to say but you will end up in a letter exchange to no avail.

You have already seen the BPA behaviour, protecting their paying members, the BPA is the biggest dinosaur of our times and it's overdue they are replaced by a professional
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS
    DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas
    27K posts
    Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brucella wrote: »

He has been most helpful and I am sure would welcome sharing his expertise in answering the many and varied questions that drivers might like to pose

Decent CV. Legal qualification.

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/craigineson
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • edited 7 January at 11:37PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    82.4K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 January at 11:37PM
    Brucella wrote: »

Thanks! First time we've seen his name - Craig Ineson.

I am relieved to learn that this Sector Expert is not from a parking firm, which was always the fear. He seems better qualified than we thought:
    I was also involved in the launch of new products. I was involved with the launch of the Parking on Private Appeals (POPLA) service at Ombudsman Service, acting as both a trainer and coach for new assessors joining our team, as well as assisting with the testing of the new case management platform

I later became proficient in handling complaints about the Solicitors Regulation Authority, considering the service level provided by the authority as an independent, external outsider.
    So how come the Assessors are recently so badly trained, all of a sudden? How come they are worse than they used to be, one wonders?
  • BrucellaBrucella
    36 posts
    Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary
    This is the next instalment in this sorry tale. After being told in no uncertain terms by POPLA that despite completely misinterpreting the law - the single most important piece of legislation in their business, that they are unable to reverse a decision and I would have to fight it out with the operator myself, I have just received this:

Dear ****,

Your complaint about POPLA

Thank you for your email, which was passed to me by the POPLA team as I am responsible for responding to complaints.

I note from your correspondence that you are unhappy with the decision reached by the assessor in your appeal against Euro Car Parks and you consider that there has been a procedural error with how the Protection of Freedoms Act (PoFA) 2012 has been considered.

I have reviewed the assessor’s decision and I consider that a procedural error may have occurred, which may change the outcome of the initial decision reached.

As such, I will complete a full review of your case and respond to you within the next 10 working days. It is important to note that financial recompense will not be awarded if a procedural error is identified and my review may not change the outcome of the decision.

In closing, I thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Yours sincerely

POPLA Complaints Team

So far so good. I thought that I would get a definitive adjudication out of POPLA that I could post for people to use as a quasi-precedent.
    Sadly, within under two hours I received this:

Dear ***,

Your complaint about POPLA

Your email was forwarded to me as I am responsible for responding to complaints.

I noted from your correspondence that were unhappy as you believed that PoFA 2012 had not been complied with and the assessor had missed this during the assessment.

I can see that this is the second time that you have contacted us regarding this complaint, and you have also been responded to by another member of the complaints team.

In this instance having fully reviewed the appeal following your complaint I was not satisfied that PoFA 2012 had been met as the notice to keeper was not sent in time to be given within the relevant period.

I notified yourself this morning and alerted the operator to the fact that I was going to reassess the appeal.

The operator contacted us shortly after to inform us that it had withdrawn the appeal.

This means that you are no longer liable for the charge as the operator has accepted that the PCN was not issued correctly.

I have fed this back to the assessor’s team leader for coaching purposes.

I would like to apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

In closing, I am sorry that your experience of using our service has not been positive. We have reached the end of our process and my response now concludes our complaints procedure. I trust you will appreciate that there will be no further review of your complaint and it will not be appropriate for us to respond to any further correspondence on this matter.

Yours sincerely,

POPLA Complaints Team

I take it that the final paragraph is a joke. There is no hint of any contrition or acknowledgement that it was not only their adjudicator that got the basics wrong, but also several others who reviewed my complaint.

Furthermore, whilst the BPA and POPLA have both told me that the operator has withdrawn the PCN, I have not heard this from them directly. I am inclined to ask for this in writing accompanied with an apology.

Whilst this has consumed many hours of my (and some of your time), the major concern that I have is that it confirms what you already know - that the entire system is stacked against the motorist and it is only if one has the time and energy and bloody-mindedness that one can prevail.

I shall try to play a very small part in trying to rectify this by taking it up directly with the BPA, POPLA and via my MP.
  • edited 7 January at 11:56PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    82.4K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 January at 11:56PM
    Haha!

You have to laugh at them instead of crying woefully at their incompetence.

I won't forget your case, Brucella and want to send you a pm if that's OK? Let's just say I plan to use this as ammo that may have repercussions. It paints a terrible example and is just what I want, for a purpose this year that I won't go into...

Also, there is another poster with the same issue, MinnieSox9:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6027099

Looks like she may also need the emails you have so are you up for sending her a pm to show her what you sent and received so she can use it otherwise she will get fobbed off.
  • RedxRedx
    27.6K posts
    Forumite
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well done on your tenacity etc on this sore topic

they seem to think that an operator withdrawing from the fray absolves themselves of the POFA day counting issues , it doesnt

it reminds me of APCOA throwing in the towel when they see a strong popla appeal , meaning that POPLA doesnt have to deal with it and APCOA dont get charged , yet no procedural errors get fixed

I am sure that internally they are having a word with themselves about this due to their sector expert finding that they were wrong and more training was needed

its not their only issue but was certainly one issue we did not see when London Councils ran it

you should definitely insist that the operator issues a cancellation by going to them direct

it also reminds me of IPC members withdrawing their IAS appeal when the IAS realise the operator has a problem and the IAS would have to ruile in the apellants favour , so they collude and drop the case instead of ruling on it
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • BrucellaBrucella
    36 posts
    Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary
    Hi Coupon-Mad
    Happy to receive a PM. I think that it will be worthwhile to share some info.

Indeed, through your original heads-up, I have been PMing MinnieSox9 and pointing her in the right direction I hope

Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Haha!

You have to laugh at them instead of crying woefully at their incompetence.

I won't forget your case, Brucella and want to send you a pm if that's OK? Let's just say I plan to use this as ammo that may have repercussions. It paints a terrible example and is just what I want, for a purpose this year that I won't go into...

Also, there is another poster with the same issue, MinnieSox9:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6027099

Looks like she may also need the emails you have so are you up for sending her a pm to show her what you sent and received so she can use it otherwise she will get fobbed off.