» »

Debt free before August 2023 - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Debt free before August 2023

edited 3 December 2019 at 1:43PM in Debt Free Diaries
97 replies 4.4K views

Replies

• Poppy1984Poppy1984
    375 posts
    Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    Feeling a bit more positive on the debt front. Bought all Christmas gifts with cash no credit (I only buy immediate family) but there's also my sons birthday in December so it seems like I spend a lot but it's for both birthday and Christmas.

In the past I would have put things on credit card, next account, very account and used my over draft so I'm pleased that I can now do it purely with cash I have saved all year long.

I'm still aiming to over pay my loan by £198 by 15th Jan. Another £131 to go, I'm waiting for my shoppix account to build up so I can cash out £20 and I'll use that as an over pay, not too far off now. Running out of ideas of how else I can over pay but I'll keep trying. Prolific has dried up a little for me so don't think I'll get much more from that to use as an overpay.

I did a big Aldi shop last night so I'm going to do some batch cooking today.
    One of the main ways I've reduced my grocery shopping money while paying my debts off has been by Meticulously planning, I firstly do an inventory of my cupboards, fridge and freezer. I then plan what meals I can make from what I already have in stock and what extra ingredients I need to buy and any other meals I want to make for each day. Then make my list and stick to it.
    I must admit I HATE doing it but it's the only way I can save lots of money but make sure we still eat well. If I don't do it I end up over spending.

I also find batch cooking and freezing meals really helps me keep my grocery budget low. It's just a lot of effort but I always feel better when I do put the effort in.

Off to think of some extra ways I can find some money to overpay the loan with....
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322: Loan £26,522, Next £815, Very £1600, Tesco Credit Card £1600
    Loan £17,293 remaining Original DFD Aug 2024 New DFD June 2023
  • doingitanywaydoingitanyway
    5.2K posts
    Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 5000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great step, buying with cash instead of credit. These are steps that will not only get you DF but will become habits that keep you DF.

I agree with you re meal planning. I kind of hate it too but it is the best in terms of reducing my ad hoc food spends and keeping the grocery bill low. Most of my overspending happens on groceries, or shopping for snacks and meals when I haven't got any food from home with me. The other plus is meal planning is better/healthier eating!

Oh you asked about the sod it fund. Whatever you can afford, but pay it to yourself as soon as you get paid. I used a CU account. I also had a mini fund in a jar labelled sod it and that was just £5 a week.

You are doing great :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
  • Poppy1984Poppy1984
    375 posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭
    Great step, buying with cash instead of credit. These are steps that will not only get you DF but will become habits that keep you DF.

I agree with you re meal planning. I kind of hate it too but it is the best in terms of reducing my ad hoc food spends and keeping the grocery bill low. Most of my overspending happens on groceries, or shopping for snacks and meals when I haven't got any food from home with me. The other plus is meal planning is better/healthier eating!

Oh you asked about the sod it fund. Whatever you can afford, but pay it to yourself as soon as you get paid. I used a CU account. I also had a mini fund in a jar labelled sod it and that was just £5 a week.

You are doing great :)

Thank you for your message and support doingitanyway. I really like the idea of a f*ck it fund :D hehe! I think it would definitely help when I'm feeling a bit restricted and fed up.

Not really sure how much I could realistically justify putting aside for the f*ck it fund. Maybe £5 a month I could get away with but that would take quite some time to build up. I don't know if I could stretch to £10 a month.... but I'll have a think. :cool:
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322: Loan £26,522, Next £815, Very £1600, Tesco Credit Card £1600
  • doingitanywaydoingitanyway
    5.2K posts
    Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 5000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Poppy1984 wrote: »

Not really sure how much I could realistically justify putting aside for the f*ck it fund. Maybe £5 a month I could get away with but that would take quite some time to build up. I don't know if I could stretch to £10 a month.... but I'll have a think. :cool:
    In the beginning I only had a pound or two shaved off my usual budget. Walking when I could have taken a bus for example, or YS shopping giving me a few pounds extra in my food budget. It soon adds up and it enabled the odd treat that was a lifesaver. A mini bottle of wine and some posh crisps paid for from the sod it fund often saved me from throwing in the towel. It doesn't have to be a mega treat to get you back on track. I also boosted the fund by selling bits and pieces ;)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
  • Poppy1984Poppy1984
    375 posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭
    I've been busy batch cooking, made 14 portions for the freezer so quite pleased with that.

Doingitanyway I'm going to have a think about starting the f*ck it fund.

Haven't managed to make any more loan overpayments yet. Nothing much else to report in the debt busting front really.
  • Poppy1984Poppy1984
    375 posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭
    Woooop! Received some cash back from topcashback, so I've just made a loan overpayment of £10.24 bringing the total to over pay by 15th Jan done to £120 :D really chuffed with that. Should hopefully be able to raise that by then which will bring me below £18,000 before my next contractual payment is taken on 16th Jan.
  • Poppy1984Poppy1984
    375 posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭
    Well another new year and the debt busting continues. Hoping to get a huge chunk paid off this year. If I could get my total debt down to £10,000 by the end of December 2020 that would be absolutely incredible! That would mean paying back over £8,000 in a year though so not impossible but not easy either!

So I do believe I have just set myself a 2020 challenge!

I'm still waiting on a few more receipts to get to enough on shoppix to cash out £20 probably about 15/20 but haven't been buying much so haven't had many receipts to scan.

I've just downloaded another app thanks to reading in uniscots97's diary called Zipzero, it's another receipt scanning app but rather than being able to cash the money out you can use it towards your utilities direct debits.

I popped in Aldi the other day and just hit the right time for bargains, lots of meat and chicken had been reduced to half price so I stocked up the freezer. This will definitely help me to reduce my food shopping costs over the next few weeks.
  • Poppy1984Poppy1984
    375 posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭
    Well not much to report here, waiting fo pay day (15th) I'm still waiting on the shoppix app to be able to cash out the £20 bit long now. I'm not going to reach my goal of overpaying my loan by another £120 before the next payment goes out on the 16th. I think I'll def pay another £20 once shoppix let's me cash out, but have no way of raising another £100.

I'm exhausted today, not sure why! Absolutely dreading work tomorrow, even though I worked last week but it was quiet as a lot of ppl were on leave still tomorrow will be the first day everyone's back in and a full week as I was off last wed.

I need to organise what I'm taking for lunches i meal plan a lot but I hate hate hate planning for work lunches, im fine planning for evening meals and weekend lunches but always have a mental block when it comes to work lunches, I can never think of what to take.

I gave myself a break over Xmas on the job hunting front but I need to get back into that now. It's rubbish because I do like where I work and my colleagues but the wages are low and there is no room for progression so I'm looking for something better paid.
  • Poppy1984Poppy1984
    375 posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭
    I hate waiting for pay day! This is when I start to feel frustrated and bored with the journey because there's nothing happening. I haven't managed to over pay as much as I was hoping to but never mind I can make a new goal for next month.
    I'm going to try and have a frugal month I say month but mean between 15th Jan and 15ht Feb between pay days.

I've got quite a lot of food in the freezer so hoping to not spend too much on food shopping. I have two social events planned one on the 25th Jan and one on the 8th Jan so they will need to be budgeted for out of that months budget but I will try and keep them to a minimum spend.

I need to have a look around the house and see if there is anything I can list on ebay. Other than that I can't really think of any other ways to raise any additional money.

My emergency fund is down to 0 so I need to concentrate on building that back up to £300 before I make any more loan overpayments.

Really struggle when its like this I just want to get it all paid off as fast as possible and I feel like I'm not doing enough to make that happen.
  • SillyBovarySillyBovary
    13 posts
    Forumite MoneySaving Newbie
    Well I think you're doing really well! I have pretty much the same level of debt and you're inspiring me.

I'm waiting for January 15th for pay day too and I'm hoping to pay off a £150 overdraft, and over pay my smallest credit card.

I'm a terrible spender - mostly on days out with the children.