»

Parking spaces at home vent. - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Parking spaces at home vent.

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
28 replies 3.6K views

Replies

• DoaMDoaM
    9.2K posts
    Forumite
    5000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe if builders stopped building stupid sized garages that you cant even fit a medium sized car in that would free up space for parking as well.

We've just converted our garage into a living space ... it has never had a car in it during the 23 years we've lived here (bought new). :)

A neighbour puts his car in his garage (Honda Jazz, he had a VW Polo before that). He's the only resident of this estate that does so, as far as I can determine. :)
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
  • It makes more sense to have more than one toilet in a 3 bed home but most 3 beds don't have one. It's a price thing! Don't wonder why a house at price you want to pay does not have what you want when you could just buy a house that has what you need
    If I ruled the world.......
  • knightstyleknightstyle
    5.5K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 2500 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well toilets are not a problem, our 4 bed town house has 3, one on each floor.
  • PennywisePennywise
    12.8K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Local councils discourage too much parking as they're trying to discourage car use, so really such new developments are aimed at people without cars. Those with multiple cars really need to buy homes elsewhere where there is more parking.
  • garth549garth549
    456 posts
    Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    A lot of new build estates are like this now. There's 1 in Leyland near where I live and in the evening the whole estate is just rammed with cars everywhere on the pavements, grass, blocking people in and spilling out onto the main road. It looks absolutely terrible.

The estate road is also so narrow that if people park only on the road (ie not on the pavement) there's only just enough room for another car to pass on the other side. Forget a bin lorry or delivery van getting through!

Greed by the developers, pure and simple. One of many reasons not to buy off-plan.
  • mattyprice4004mattyprice4004
    4.5K posts
    Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    garth549 wrote: »
    A lot of new build estates are like this now. There's 1 in Leyland near where I live and in the evening the whole estate is just rammed with cars everywhere on the pavements, grass, blocking people in and spilling out onto the main road. It looks absolutely terrible.

The estate road is also so narrow that if people park only on the road (ie not on the pavement) there's only just enough room for another car to pass on the other side. Forget a bin lorry or delivery van getting through!

Greed by the developers, pure and simple. One of many reasons not to buy off-plan.

As a local, I know the one you mean and it's awful.

Sorry OP, but I think you need to look at older houses as they have much bigger driveways and wider roads. It's the main reason I bought my 1970's house - space for 4 cars on the driveway and it's probably a similar size to yours.
    Some of the Victorian houses around here have room for up to 8 cars and they're only 4 bedroom - overkill for most but ideal if you have a work van / caravan etc :)

Slightly off topic, but I also can't stand how narrow the roads are on these new estates. This 'pinch every spare inch possible' thing with new estates absolutely ruins them for me.
  • knightstyleknightstyle
    5.5K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 2500 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We bought the house whilst living in France as we always wanted to retire to the UK. New build seemed best and we never thought we would end up living here for more than a month or two but the house is hard to sell so we are still here!
  • ExemplarExemplar
    1.4K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I live on a new build estate here in North Notts. We have a 3 storey 4 double bed with (initially) no parking space and a garage (suitable for a Jazz/ Polo/ Smart whereas we have bigger cars!). The garage is in a block behind the house and in a communal, allocated parking area. When we bought there was some gravel directly outside our back gate at the end of the allocated parking. We approached the builders who converted it to a parking space for us. So we park one in front of the garage and one in the space. But as soon as you leave the parking area (accessed by an arch) it's mayhem. The flats around us have 2/3 cars each and 1 space, the roads are narrow etc etc. This is not any one persons fault but it is an issue. As another poster stated people with prams end up in the road as cars are on the kerb and yes that happens here a lot. But it is what it is and you buy/ rent with your eyes open.
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion
    20.6K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It makes more sense to have more than one toilet in a 3 bed home
    I can fully agree with that. When the family is down with norovirus and there is one bathroom there is a lot of swearing that goes on outside that bathroom door.
    Ivan has left the building ... but reserves the right of reply!
    Use PM to keep in touch
  • DoaMDoaM
    9.2K posts
    Forumite
    5000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    We bought the house whilst living in France as we always wanted to retire to the UK. New build seemed best and we never thought we would end up living here for more than a month or two but the house is hard to sell so we are still here!

You bought a house even though you thought you'd only live there a few months? :eek:
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay