» »

Going, going...still going! - Page 73

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Going, going...still going!

edited 29 November 2019 at 8:03PM in Debt Free Diaries
803 replies 57.1K views

Replies

• Back to work today - was a bit of a shock to the system! However, just tomorrow to get through and then it's another 2 days off, so I'm sure I'll cope ;)

Budget all on track and I'm all set up for January. For various reasons, it is still going to be a tight month as I try to repay the EF a bit and there are a few chunky payments come out in Feb/March - but at least I don't have to worry about making a CC payment. It was nice getting the statement through showing a nil figure, and nil to pay :) Bro paid me back for most of what I bought SIL at Christmas, bar a couple of items she didn't like and have been handed back to me :rotfl: so I'll return them at some point this week.

I've given myself quite a few non-MSE related goals for the coming year, but don't think this is the right place to talk about them. Whilst I'll keep my diary going for now to keep me on track budget-wise, I'm going to look for another outlet too.
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 :doh: Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 :o Debt at Nov 2019: £0 :D
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, have you had it cut? Suits you.
  • PentaclePentacle
    17 posts
    Forumite
    10 Posts
    Just wanted to wish you a Happy Debt Free New Year! And to thank you for being my debt busting partner (albeit all unknowing). It has helped me hugely. I hope you have good things planned for 2020:beer::beer:
  • mark88manmark88man
    4.7K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. Have a great new year and relax over your days off and plan your new life goals for 2020
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)
    Weight/Health - Fluctuating - much worse than I should be
    End 19: CC:[email protected]% - Car Loan:[email protected]% - Mort:[email protected]% = £140K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2019:£16K

• Thank you both :) Pentacle, please let me know when you're DF - I liked being your unwitting debt-busting buddy :p

Work let me away early as there was literally no-one around, and everyone I need to get hold of aren't back til Friday or Monday. There's only so much 'looking busy' work I can do, when I'm actually really busy, but I now need others to input before I can move anything forward :p

So, it's been a shorter day, and I've tidied the flat so going into the new year relatively clean! PD was not impressed at the hoover appearing, but has forgiven me and is asleep on some dry laundry, smelling of fabric softener :rotfl: I have some of my favorite old films lined up to watch (Brief Encounter, Bringing Up Baby, Philadelphia Story and The African Queen) so will work my way through a few of those :cool:
    Happy Hogmanay, and hope you all have a good New Year :) :beer:
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 :doh: Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 :o Debt at Nov 2019: £0 :D
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, have you had it cut? Suits you.
  • BlackCoffeeNoSugarBlackCoffeeNoSugar
    596 posts
    Forumite
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Wow, this is a busy place just now! I don't remember it being so busy last January - but I think I've caught and subscribed to all the new versions of diaries I follow. I'll just keep hold of this one, as I think I'll always be "... still going!" :p

I've made lots of goals for this year - a variety of life, hobbies, work and money.

Money wise, I'm aiming to have saved £3000 by the end of 2020 :) Although this is a very round number (and we all know round numbers are often just a guesstimate!) this should let me relax my budget slightly to allow more a mildly more relaxed attitude, and will mean I finish the year with just under 3 months of expenses saved as an emergency fund.

When I was debt-busting, I would say to myself that I could do more fun things once the debt was gone, but now it has been busted, I will admit I'm struggling a bit to think of what I can do for fun. It is not like I have any more time per week/month to do things, just a little more cash available. Maybe I should focus on budgeting my time a bit better and make more of what time I do have! (but still making time for PD ;))

I've had a NSD every day this year :rotfl: so I'm going to keep that going for as long as possible. Should be ok until Saturday, I think. I'm going to brave the shops at the weekend to return the unwanted presents for SIL, so that will be an extra £22 to go to the EF.
  • findingthisdifficultfindingthisdifficult
    257 posts
    Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Happy New Year BCNS!
    Exciting that you have new goals for this year! I'm also trying to find a better way to budget my time, I feel like I waste a bit too much of my time.
    Wobbling my way out of debt one month at a time

Credit Card starting balance £2467 current balance £3161 0% until November 2020 (will probably need another balance transfer)
    Original Loan amount £23,179 Now £6,132 @ 5.4%
    11 payments left to go :smiley:

wobbling-my-way-out-of-debt

• doingitanywaydoingitanyway
    5.2K posts
    Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi there,

Well done on all your progress. It is a good idea to concentrate on savings. When I became DF I felt elated then a little lost. It helped to concentrate on spending on house repairs instead!

I'm back on the NSD path too. It keeps me mindful.
    Have a good day :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
    596 posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭
    Thanks both :) FTD - I've taken inspiration from you and will create a YNA(Time)B this afternoon :p I never feel there are enough hours in the day, so I should make the most of what I do have :)

DIA - that's exactly how I felt towards the end of December, I need something to strive for, having had the DF goal in mind for so long. The NSDs are definitely helping :)

Speaking of which, I broke my NSD streak on Friday....but for very good reason! My computer at work died a death on Friday - blue screen of death, wouldn't boot AT ALL in safe mode, IT have taken it away, but from what I've googled from the error message, it's game over. :eek: Thankfully, everything I ever work on is saved to the central server, so there's absolutely nothing lost, except a few bookmarks from my browser which I hadn't backed up (it was on my work to-do list, oh well!)

So, although most of my home laptop stuff is saved to the cloud, I really haven't done a full back-up in quite some time (and it was on my home to-do list...) so I stopped by arg0s on the way home and picked up an external drive for a decent price. First back-up completed last night, and I feel much better now! ;) I've returned the unwanted gifts today and actually got money back (I was expecting credit) and so that will cover a good chunk of the hard drive costs.

To add to my woe yesterday, I managed to up-end an entire bowl of thick veg soup as I was putting it into the microwave. There were no survivors :( (except the bowl, which bounced). Splattered every surface - including myself. Soup was dripping from my eyelashes, it was so dramatic. I spent a loooong time clearing it up, and when I had, the floor was so slippery, so I cleaned it again. Still not convinced I got all of it, as PD keeps appearing from the kitchen licking her lips :p so I'll need to go over it again.

I was a very hungry and tired BCNS last night - I actually took myself off to bed at 8pm before anything else happened :rotfl: A good night sleep definitely helped :p I had been trying to start the new year off on a good footing, but I think 2020 may have other ideas for me...! :rotfl:
  • girlatplaygirlatplay
    3K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I became DF I felt elated then a little lost.

This is exactly how I felt when I paid off my lightbulb debt in 2011. I really lost myself, wandered away from here because I didn't think I should be on DFW while debt free. I only got back into debt the first time because I took a loan to buy out the HA's share of my property and this time because I had a safety emergency and not enough in my EF. Once this debt is paid off I'll likely stay here and keep posting as it really does keep me focussed. A good example of someone debt free who still keeps a diary here is EssexHebridean. I really like reading her diaries.
    To add to my woe yesterday, I managed to up-end an entire bowl of thick veg soup as I was putting it into the microwave. There were no survivors :( (except the bowl, which bounced). Splattered every surface - including myself. Soup was dripping from my eyelashes, it was so dramatic. I spent a loooong time clearing it up, and when I had, the floor was so slippery, so I cleaned it again. Still not convinced I got all of it, as PD keeps appearing from the kitchen licking her lips :p so I'll need to go over it again.

Sorry but this made me laugh out loud. I'm certain it was not at all funny for you, I'm sure it's the way you tell them. Get some Elbow Grease spray cleaner. I find that cuts through the grease well. You can get it from Savers and it's about £1.
    Loan (£7,500) current balance: £5,346.39 :: Original DFD 01/12/2023 Expected DFD 01/06/2023
    IO Mortgage current balance: £87,520
    596 posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭
    Thank you GAP - will check out all those recommendations :) And the soup incident was quite funny - the split instant between 'soup in bowl' to 'soup EVERYWHERE' was quite dramatic. I think the kitchen is properly clean now (or PD has just licked it clean _pale_ ) - either way, I'm avoiding soup :p

Meal plan all done, and all my tasks are completed for the weekend so think I've done quite well. Budget all fine, although it does feel like it should be later than the 5th ;)