2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

edited 28 June 2020 at 6:12PM in Old Style MoneySaving
2K replies 66K views

Replies

• CapricornLassCapricornLass Forumite
    421 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    Evening all! I'm in! I'll pass on the cake though - I've still got half a Christmas Cake to wade through, and OH is refusing to touch it...

I've got 19 coupons to carry over from last year too. I'm going to save them for buying new sandals, or shoes. Possibly also another short everyday jacket, as the zips are playing up on my existing one,

I also want to try and get the odd ball(s) of wool pile down this year. Not sure what I will knit, as there's a limit to how many hats, scarves and gloves people want!
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035
  • edited 3 January 2020 at 9:25AM
    lykkeliglykkelig Forumite
    37 Posts
    edited 3 January 2020 at 9:25AM
    I've come to the understanding that a pair of socks made out of merino will cost the same in coupons as a pair of socks made from lambswool. So I need to make some decisions as to whether I want to pay a lot of money for a merino/nylon blend because I know the merino won't stand up to daily wear on it's own, or head for the cheaper more rustic yarns that traditionally were used before the invention of nylon. While there is no difference in coupons used, my conscience is making me think and I am terrible for being seduced by the beautiful coloured yarns that Indie dyers produce. I'm just sharing my thoughts. You have me thinking already. To the knitters amongst us, what is your fibre of choice for socks?
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 4/66 coupons spent
    2020 Frugal Living Challenge
  • edited 3 January 2020 at 12:39PM
    PipneyJanePipneyJane Forumite
    3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 January 2020 at 12:39PM
    lykkelig wrote: »
    I've come to the understanding that a pair of socks made out of merino will cost the same in coupons as a pair of socks made from lambswool. So I need to make some decisions as to whether I want to pay a lot of money for a merino/nylon blend because I know the merino won't stand up to daily wear on it's own, or head for the cheaper more rustic yarns that traditionally were used before the invention of nylon. While there is no difference in coupons used, my conscience is making me think and I am terrible for being seduced by the beautiful coloured yarns that Indie dyers produce. I'm just sharing my thoughts. You have me thinking already. To the knitters amongst us, what is your fibre of choice for socks?

As a knitter, I’d say “pick the yarn you’d prefer to knit with” and reinforce the heels/toes/where ever your socks wear through first, with nylon or mohair. Also, may I suggest learning to do a knitted-on-darn? Virtually all the socks I wear are hand knitted and even the Alpaca ones have stood up to considerable abuse before showing wear but, when they do, I knit on a patch from leftovers. (NB: my DH is notorious for wearing through the soles of his socks, under the ball of the foot. The knitted-on-darn stands up well to that sort of abuse and he claims he cant feel it.).

- Pip

ETA: I didn’t answer your question when I first posted this. My preferences are West Yorkshire Spinners’ signature sock yarn, followed by anything from Regia. I’ll also happily knit with L!dl’s Crelanda Anika sock yarn, which stands up to all sorts of abuse and remains soft. I used to love Toft Alpaca’s sock yarn, but they don’t make it anymore. I would not recommend James C Brett’s Funny Feetz - it’s full of flaws.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons plus 6 brought forward unspent from 2020 equals 72 coupons to spend in 2021. 62 coupons spent. 10 remain.
    NOTE TO SELF: NO MORE YARN!!!
  • lykkeliglykkelig Forumite
    37 Posts
    I have never heard of a knitted on darn. I will investigate this this afternoon so thank you as I think it will be incredibly useful. I too wear hard on the balls of my feet. I have had my eye on WYS for sometime so I'm glad of that recommendation. I have a handful of knitted socks and have become quite commited to building my collection so I was worried about the amount of coupons I would use and thought I might have to lurk with you all but then I did the math and realised realisticly I only need about 5 more pairs to have a comfortable rotation and here I am.
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 4/66 coupons spent
    2020 Frugal Living Challenge
  • edited 3 January 2020 at 2:50PM
    PipneyJanePipneyJane Forumite
    3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 January 2020 at 2:50PM
    I have never heard of a knitted on darn. I will investigate this this afternoon so thank you as I think it will be incredibly useful. I too wear hard on the balls of my feet. I have had my eye on WYS for sometime so I'm glad of that recommendation. I have a handful of knitted socks and have become quite commited to building my collection so I was worried about the amount of coupons I would use and thought I might have to lurk with you all but then I did the math and realised realisticly I only need about 5 more pairs to have a comfortable rotation and here I am.

Lykkelig, I wrote a “how to” on my blog, 24th January 2012. Sadly, we’re not allowed to link to our blogs or I’d link to it directly, but I think you can get there from my profile (or from my Ravelry one, which is also PipneyJane). The post is tagged “socks”.

200g of the WYS sock yarn will make 3 pairs of socks - pairs for me and one pair for my DH’s size 11 feet. That’s 2 balls and 4 coupons-worth. I’ve made a pair of socks for me (UK size 5 feet) from 50g of Regia’s 3-ply sock yarn (3-faedig in German), but normally need 65g a pair.

HTH

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons plus 6 brought forward unspent from 2020 equals 72 coupons to spend in 2021. 62 coupons spent. 10 remain.
    NOTE TO SELF: NO MORE YARN!!!
  • thriftmonsterthriftmonster Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Please take a seat by the fire. Laura, if you pass around the cake, I’ll get more glasses from the Kitchen for the wine. Polly, please do the pouring. Thriftmonster, do we have enough chairs?

- Pip

If not. I'll knock a few chairs up from my wood stash = or knit them:rotfl:

I am taking part in a primary school VE day thing and so will be knitting up a top from stash but will need to make a skirt - Abakhan here I come for tweed but will still need to give coupons up:(
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • thriftwizardthriftwizard Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    thriftmonster have you thought of remodelling secondhand tweed? Asking as I'm about to pop two totally classic tweed skirts onto my stall, where I expect them to sell very fast; crafters love old tweed for a multiplicity of projects, as do my "vintage" customers, teachers at the local prep schools snap them up for everyday wear, and the fashion students leap on it - heaven knows what they do with it but probably nothing you'd expect! You could save yourself a) money & b) coupons by finding something local like me, i.e. a "vintage" stall. (Tweed would probably be too slow-moving for charity shops.)

I picked these two up at the recyclers; one, a slimline brown plaid tweed skirt, was missing a button but otherwise perfect, and the other, a large ladies kilt in green & navy in lovely condition, had a home-made white elastic extension at the waist with two buttons, one navy, and one brown... You can guess what happened there! 5 minutes with scissors & a needle & I've turned £1 (50p each) into £10 (£5 each) - that's how my business works - but you should be able to find something similar local to you.
    Angie

GC Dec 21 £60.26/£550 - oh dear...
    2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 39/48

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Wishful01Wishful01 Forumite
    62 Posts
    5 coupons used today desperately needed some new steel toe cap trainers for work. Should last me the year as that’s how long I’ve had the last pair can’t wait for them to arrive now and no more sore feet :)
    Fashion world £165.82 Paid December 2019 :j Zinc £81.23/£71.23
    CCS £145.71/£136.00 Cabot £180.88/£170.00
    Lowell £1,044.24/£977.98 Lending stream. £1,167.00/£1,157.00
    Old rent £2,222.09 Lowell £1,319.85/£1,236.11
    CCS £2,515.95
  • Laura_ElsewhereLaura_Elsewhere Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭

When you say " the cheaper more rustic yarns that traditionally were used before the invention of nylon" it sounds like you mean thicker wool? The real secret to hard-wearing pure-wool socks (or 25%nylon, 75%wool, for that matter!) is to use smaller needle sizes.

Modern knitting uses 2.75mm with a 4-ply/fingering yarn, which produces a modern knitted fabric that's quite loose and drapey - but if you change the tension to a much denser fabric, using a thin yarn, it lasts and lasts and lasts.
    I use 2mm and laceweight (Zauberballe lace are great for socks!), or 2.25mm and 4-ply.

Another advantage of using a good wool is that it meshes together so even if an individual strand wears through, the adjacent area keeps the sock going til you can darn it. But in fact in the 5 years since moving here the only socks I have darned have been DK ones knitted with wool-blend fibres with less than 75% wool. All my pure-wool or 25%nylon/75% wool socks done on 4-ply or laceweight, on smaller needles are still going absolutely fine and not even wearing thin. I wear ankle-socks every single day, year-round (I wear long fine-wool stockings under them in cold weather).

As for washing - our machine has a 19-minute 'rinse' cycle using totally cold water and all my handwash-only woollens go in that, with its 1400rpm spin, and then they just need draping over chair-backs or bed-rail for the rest of the day and they're dry.

It sounds like it's much more labour, knitting a 72-stitch sock when you could knit a 56er - but if the socks last two or even three times as long then it's really less labour :)

Oh and also, increasingly, I use two yarns for the heel-flap, either contrasting colours in various stranded colourwork designs, or simply two strands of the same yarn but used alternately so there is always one yarn carried behind the other, doubling the thickness without adding much bulk. A nice lightly-cushioned effect. When turning the heel I use one strand but I knit it held together with a cobweb-weight pure-wool which just seems to add the extra oomph. I can't imagine only using one strand nowadays...
    2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021

2021 acquisitions, with or without coupons; all clothing, footwear or textiles:
    Jan: 1.4kg Shetland wool (2nd-hand, so 0 coupons)
    April: Bra (half a corset = 1.5)
    Yellow spotty plimsoles (5 coupons)
    May: Ewe & Ply (6 coupons); also, various 2nd-hand yarn (0 coupons)
    October: Ippikin (10 coupons)
    TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • Laura_ElsewhereLaura_Elsewhere Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    If not. I'll knock a few chairs up from my wood stash = or knit them:rotfl:

I am taking part in a primary school VE day thing and so will be knitting up a top from stash but will need to make a skirt - Abakhan here I come for tweed but will still need to give coupons up:(

Like thriftwizard says, have a think about using something other than bought fabric - if you can find a thin old wool blanket, for example, or an old lightweight men's overcoat (that's the overcoat being old and lightweight, not the men ;) ) then you could do a fabulous Make Do & Mend example!

And the knitted top - have you seen those original wartime patterns where the visible front of the cardigan/ jumper/ slipover (sleeveless pullover) is knitted in a fashionable design or co-ordinating colours, but then the back where it doesn't show in public because you have your jacket on, that's done in any old leftovers, all kinds of colours! It would be quite funny for the kids if you had your knitted slipover looking like it's patriotic red-white-and-blue for VE Day but then when you take off your jacket or cardigan they see the back is in bits of orange, green, purple, whatever you had to use up!
    2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021

2021 acquisitions, with or without coupons; all clothing, footwear or textiles:
    Jan: 1.4kg Shetland wool (2nd-hand, so 0 coupons)
    April: Bra (half a corset = 1.5)
    Yellow spotty plimsoles (5 coupons)
    May: Ewe & Ply (6 coupons); also, various 2nd-hand yarn (0 coupons)
    October: Ippikin (10 coupons)
    TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66