»

2019 - A Clutter Free Life - Page 378

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

2019 - A Clutter Free Life

edited 5 July 2019 at 9:05AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.8K replies 318.8K views

Replies

• parsnipheadparsniphead Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all.

I hope you are all doing well. I've not been on for a long time as my health has been poor and to be honest by the time I finish work I just collapse. I need to come back though for some inspiration. My house is in a complete state of mess and disrepair which is not helping the health situation.

My target of being completely decluttered by Christmas was missed completely. More like next Christmas now. I'm a bit fed up by that to be honest as I was getting on towards it earlier this year.

Anyway Christmas was a nightmare. On Christmas day my carbon monoxide detector kept triggering so I has to call out the gas people. No signs were found but because it had triggered they had to cap off the gas until appliances had been checked. The next day I had to get them out again to check appliances and switch the gas back on. Anyway the cooker was condemded as the one burner was iffy so a new one is being delivered and fitted this morning. It's nice to have some heat again though.

I decided now was the time to get back into the sorting and decluttering with some inspiration from you guys. I've been having a go at the kitchen while waiting for the cooker and my goodness does it need it.

It's going to take a very long time to get this done in small parts but the embarrassment of having strangers in to this has been way too much in the past few days.

I hope you all have a nice new year and achieve what you want next year.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE, TESCO, TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FOUR DOWN, FOUR TO GO.
  • edited 28 December 2019 at 1:38PM
    Mrs_Salad_DodgerMrs_Salad_Dodger Forumite
    2.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 December 2019 at 1:38PM
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE.

Boxing Day was a complete washout :j:j very MSE as it was so wet I didn’t step out of the door :p so no sales :j. Best meal of the year - bubble & squeak :rotfl: & enough leftovers for a Friday bubble & squeak :T - although DSis wanted Snorkers, mash & plum tomatoes for her Friday dinner. Enough left for me to have bubble today :j I did an sm shop on Friday as it was dry & bright - unfortunately no sprouts, no XMas puddings & no rtc bargains :( The only housework I have done is one wash load ; The rest of the time has been watching TV & knitting :p Now knitting scarf no.19 ;)
    Today I managed to catch the recycling guys so Christmas Boxes handed over & have just raked the leaves off the front lawn.

4853 - 4867 Five x cardboard packaging, 4 drinks cans, large glass bottle, glass jar & metal lid, plastic tray, plastic pot & lid, food can, plastic bottle & lid, bag of DH recycling - Recycled
    4868 - 4874 Bag of kitchen detritus, coffee tin of kitchen detritus, bag of office detritus, bag of detritus from DSis, 3 x plastic packaging - Binned

Well Done - IrishRose12; TC77; Catcrazy (Gold Star ⭐️ to you for breaking the 500 barrier); notmy1sttime (see you next year); Gem-gem glad you had a lovely Christmas & well planned food purchases :) - you have been very busy :);

Oh parsniphead :( sorry to hear you have been unwell �� but please do not beat yourself up about the decluttering. 2019 has not been a very good year for you but there is a shiny new thread ‘2020 - Banish the Clutter’ which will hopefully inspire you :) I am sending lots of positive decluttering vibes your way & hopefully 2020 will be a much better year for you ��

Final push on the decluttering for all of us up to Tuesday night :p Then I look forward to seeing you all on the ‘2020 - Banish the Clutter’ thread :D

MrsSD
    4874/4038
  • Gem-gemGem-gem Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spent the morning pulling out the kitchen cupboards, cleaning them and then decluttering. Two large China bowls, small pudding bowl and three tinned items bagged up to boot fair. No saucepans!
    OOD cranberry sauce discarded and jar recycled.
    OOD bicarbonate of soda finished up - cleaning
    Used up lemon juice - cleaning
    Two bottles of red wine vinegar placed into one bottle other bottle recycled
    £2 Savers Club 2020 no. 1 Target £480
    Save 12K in 2020 no.59 £8298.82 / £12,000
    2020 - Banish the clutter - 20 items a month
  • short_birdshort_bird Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    647 - 650 items from the fridge. (I cannot eat any more of those sprouts, as much as I like them, because there was something odd about the flavour.)
    651: Another bunch of emails deleted, not stuff I can unsubscribe from.
    652: Still recycling advertising flyers and redirecting post from the communal hallway.
    653-654: photos scanned and article written, all sent to relevant person.

I finally get some time off between 31/12 and 5/1 so will crack on during the day and a half free time I have before the end of the year. :rotfl: I might go and buy a shredder as there's another wodge of financial stuff can be disposed of end of January 2020.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • Mrs_Salad_DodgerMrs_Salad_Dodger Forumite
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’

Saturday has been dry. Casualty was shocking. We cheated for dinner - Chinese takeaway. DH & DSis have Sunday’s dinner but I ate all mine so will finish the bubble & squeak for my Sunday dinner. TV & knitting :o

4875 - 4884 Three x cardboard packaging, 2 drinks cans, newspaper, magazine, plastic pot & lid, plastic lid, cardboard box - Recycled
    4885 - 4888 Bag of kitchen detritus, 3 x plastic packaging - Binned
    4889 - 4891 Three scarves to neighbour for homeless

Great work Gem-gem & short_bird - still decluttering & putting the rest of us to shame.

Final push on the decluttering for all of us up to Tuesday night :p Then I look forward to seeing you all on the ‘2020 - Banish the Clutter’ thread :D

MrsSD
    4891/4038

• 346/348 Cleared a wee kitchen cupboard, released a tin and a glass jar to cs, and threw away some ood stuff.

349 Old notebook
    350 Book to CS
    351 Small cushion to CS
    352/ 3 Tins to foodbank
    354 Plastic bags (refashioned for litter-picking bags
    355 Calculator - bin
    356 / 360 5 water / juice receptacles
    361 1 sock
    362 1 book
    363/ 379 17 magazines
    380 Broken hairdryer to electrical recycling (although actually it's still in the hall to be taken out :()
    381 Old purse
    382/383 Bits which came with a coffee maker which we don't need
    384 / 386 3 magazines
    387 Big handful of old photo negatives - finally convinced myself that even if I remembered about a photo I wanted but didn't already have a print of, I probably wouldn't strain my eyes by scanning through hundreds (myself thousands) of negatives to find it.)
    388 Pair of slippers
    389 Glass jar to recycling
    390 Bundle of photographs
    391 / 393 3 magazines

Oh dear. :( Not as good a year as 2018. On the positive side, this year we have cleared, decorated and refurnished both bedrooms, we've kept on top of the rubbish and recycling (general day-to-day outgoings haven't been counted), and have been trying to purchase more thoughtfully. Even Christmas didn't generate the usual wee batch of donations to CS or tombola.

Well done to everyone - excellent efforts all round. :T:T

Special thanks to Mrs SD for her dedication to cheerleading, carried out with sound advice and good humour:A

((Hugs)) to anyone who needs them, Happy New Year when it comes, and I'm off to say Hello to the 2020 thread.:)
  • RootleRootle Forumite
    106 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    51/52 - a bag I'd bought but never opened or used re gifted. I felt a bit funny about this but based on the appreciative text I received I think it was the right call!

52/52 - loads of extra recycling, including my 2019 advent calendar!

My SIL gifted my OH 18 CDs she won in a raffle as a joke. Not particularly happy with that one given my 2019 endeavours to recycle CDs!

Hey ho, see you on the 2020 board! :)
  • Barny1979Barny1979 Forumite
    5.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Barny1979 wrote: »
    1555. Cardboard box recycled
    1556-1560. Cardboard boxes recycled.
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs 2019 - 285 AFDs 2020 - 74 AFDs to end of March
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £1809/£1809, 2020 - £1761.85/£1750
  • short_birdshort_bird Forumite
    2.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    655-656: Digital photos and a film deleted.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • Mrs_Salad_DodgerMrs_Salad_Dodger Forumite
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭

Sunday & Monday were both dry days Sunday was a day of TV watching & knitting. Scarf no.19 is finished & scarf no. 20 has been started. Monday DSis & I had a visit to the Chinese Medical Centre then did a small sm shop. DH cooked cheesey pasta (fresh tagliatelle) & very tasty it was ��

4892 - 4910 Two x cardboard packaging, 4 drinks cans, 5 plastic takeaway boxes & lids, 2 plastic lids, cardboard box, paper packaging, 2 small foil trays, glass bottle & metal cap, leaflet - Recycled
    4911 - 4912 Bag of kitchen detritus, plastic packaging - Binned

Great work Uncluttered_unicorn :T You might not have the numbers BUT you have cleared, decorated & refurnished two bedrooms :T a major win :j Happy, healthy & prosperous New Year to you too & see you on the 2020 thread.

Rootle, a Gold Star ⭐️ is winging its way to you :T You hit your target - Well Done & will see you on the 2020 thread.

Well Done Barny1979 & short_bird :T

One more day of 2019 - then a new decade & a new Decluttering challenge :D

MrsSD
    4912/4038