Forum Home» Credit Cards

Am I likely to get a refund

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Am I likely to get a refund

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
4 replies 702 views
emma.b.321emma.b.321 Forumite
1 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
Hi, I recently booked a hotel using my Virgin Atlantic credit card which I am now looking to cancel at late notice. After speaking with some friends that have stayed there before and looking at recent TripAdvisor reviews, it doesn't sound like the hotel is in a fit state to be operating at all, with talk of mouldy rooms, soggy mattresses and bed bugs. However, I am now outside of the cancellation period which I agreed to at the time of booking. Would I have any rights for a refund? The hotel have not yet charged by credit card, however I assume they will be today as this is when I originally booked to check in.

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    30.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, you don't have any right to a refund.

Only if you were to go and find that you were not provided with the agreed service could you request a chargeback/Section 75.
  • Edi81Edi81 Forumite
    826 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    It’s your choice not to use the booking. As zx81 says you may have a chargeback /s75 if you stay there but I wouldn’t get my hopes up too much for that.
  • edited 13 December 2019 at 4:46PM
    Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K posts
    Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 December 2019 at 4:46PM
    Such a shame that you didn't talk to these friends and read the reviews before you booked the hotel.
    What conditions did you accept when you made the booking as regards cancellation policy? If your card has not yet been changed then probably you don't have any special rate and will be liable only for the no-show charge today..
    If instead of asking our advice you had telephoned the hotel before the cancellation deadline time you may have saved yourself being charged a no-show charge when you fail to turn up today.
  • chattychappychattychappy Forumite
    7.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the best way is to go ahead, but research some local alternatives of an equivalent standard. If the hotel is in such a terrible state, then move hotels having taken photos etc. You are then left with the possibility of a S75 claim for the extra costs involved.