Forum Home» Competitions Time» Compers Chat Corner

Text from Royal Mail & curries saying I won price, scam or not?

New Post Advanced Search

Text from Royal Mail & curries saying I won price, scam or not?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Compers Chat Corner
27 replies 16.5K views
PmliuPmliu Forumite
347 posts
Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Compers Chat Corner
I got a text from Royal Mail saying message below, I know it’s from Royal Mail because I have text messages from previous when they sent me delivery update

Reminder: there is an item waiting to be confirmed by Pm : http://vwmk2b.com/3Bgq You took one of the spots on our Currys' XMAS-list.

When I click on it takes me to a website called Prizestoconfirm.com with Curries as the heading
It then goes on to ask me a few questions then verify my details then it tells me:
Approved!

Your selected iPhone 11 Pro will de delivered within 5 working days.
Please confirm your delivery address and pay a small fee (£2.00) for insured shipping. It’s got a few reviews, one says thank you curries and another says I thought it was a scam at first, but I've just received confirmation with delivery details. Thank you

When I click on confirm it takes me to a website called winanticipation and asks for my card details to pay for then small fee for £1

I’m a bit skeptical as it’s asking for my card details, anyone had this before, it does sound like a scam

Replies

• ***xyz******xyz*** Forumite
    302 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    It's a scam, don't click the links
    Your = belongs to you
    You're = you are
  • MisslayedMisslayed Forumite, Board Guide
    8.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely a scam.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Money_makerMoney_maker Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    They're going to send you an iPhone but want £2 to insure shipping? How could you possibly imagine this was legit?
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • edited 13 December 2019 at 7:30PM
    PmliuPmliu Forumite
    347 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 13 December 2019 at 7:30PM
    I stupidly clicked on the link and verified my email, but when it went on to ask for my card details alarm bells went off and I closed the webpage, am I still safe from being scammed, I just ready that if you clicked on link and verified your details they can access information on my iphone? Is this true, I’m a bit worried now
  • mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
    44K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scam, basically the same as this
    PC World delivery email - scam?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6042127

44K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest time for new e-mail addresses keep "real stuff" on one or more and competitions on a different one (or more, if you want to keep say the sites you need to logon separate from those you don't so you can just replace the non-logon one whenever you like).

• PmliuPmliu Forumite
    347 posts
    ✭✭
    Can they do anything with just my email address though, I give this email address out all the time for a lot of things? Also because it’s a iPhone and it hasn’t been jail broken & I have kept software updates updated to the latest one, wouldn’t that have more protection, or am I just being naive and optimistic?
    44K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pmliu wrote: »
    Can they do anything with just my email address though, I give this email address out all the time for a lot of things? Also because it’s a iPhone and it hasn’t been jail broken & I have kept software updates updated to the latest one, wouldn’t that have more protection, or am I just being naive and optimistic?

Other than spam you probably not, especially if you don't get fooled by the spam - I keep one e-mail address for any stuff that involves payments (shopping/banking) and not had any spam e-mails to that one, at the other end of the scale there is one only used for sites that look like they might be a bit spammy and that gets a load of rubbish (has had the occasional win as well).

• cymruchriscymruchris Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    If you send me £2 I'll send you an iPhone as well that'll have just as much chance of turning up :) Definitely a scam.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • edited 13 December 2019 at 10:39PM
    PmliuPmliu Forumite
    347 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 13 December 2019 at 10:39PM
    Only reason I stupidly fell for it, was because the texts messages said it was Royal Mail, I had quite a few text from Royal
    Mail and it didn’t actually tell about the £2 fee until after I confirmed my email then pressed confirm, I should of realised when it took me to a page who I thought was curries then website address said another site. I don’t usually fall for these scams but haven’t had much sleep night before & I must have had my mummy brain on & I was distracted with my little ones at the time I was doing this, then I realised when it was too late. The scary thing is I got all these Royal Mail delivery updates within last couple of days when I was actually waiting for deliveries to arrive and I just checked the info and there’s no details, phone number or anything so this was a fake text from the start, can’t even block or report this as there’s no number