Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

Going, going...still going! - Page 71

New Post Advanced Search

Going, going...still going!

edited 29 November 2019 at 9:03PM in Debt Free Diaries
906 replies 64.4K views

Replies

• A very quick (and not MSE at all :o) post - just to remind everyone to vote.

I don’t care how you vote but please vote.

You’ve got 12 hours to do so - your polling station is waiting for you! Mine was staffed with very cheery folks given it was 7.10am :) I was not so cheery, but was in and out in under 2 mins ;)
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 Debt at Nov 2019: £0 :)
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, even if it's a little longer. Suits you.
  • Purplemumof2Purplemumof2 Forumite
    7.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    A very quick (and not MSE at all :o) post - just to remind everyone to vote.

I don’t care how you vote but please vote.

You’ve got 12 hours to do so - your polling station is waiting for you! Mine was staffed with very cheery folks given it was 7.10am :) I was not so cheery, but was in and out in under 2 mins ;)

Totally agree :D

I am going in on my way home as they weren't open at the time I left.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    BC: £7070.00 :mad: Lloyds: £7850.00 :mad: MBNA: GONE :)
    Feb LTW 2/20
    PAYDBX 2020 #041 PD £298.03/£8000
    Xmas Pot £52.85/£500 ~ EF £280/£500
    20p Savers 2020 :) £2 Savers 2020 :) 50p Savers 2020 :) SPC 13 2020 #003
  • PentaclePentacle Forumite
    17 posts
    10 Posts
    I voted! Have £600 left to go debt wise. Should be done by end Jan. Wondering what you are buying PD for xmas?
  • Glad to have been of service! ;) There were a few people moaning in the office about having to vote, and so I was a little bit more vocal than I intended, with some pointed comments about suffrage. Any way, it's done now, just need to get on with it. Got a good result for my constituency, so I know a lot will be pleased about that.

Budget all ticking along - I've been told we will get paid on 20th, so will tuck it away until the end of the month and then budget for January as usual.

As for PD, well. I'm a very bad owner - she's not getting anything bought for her :o She is getting a rather large crocheted mouse I've made (at work, during my lunch breaks). Yes, there have been strange looks :p She likes to stalk and pounce on her toys these days, rather than chew them, so as long as I keep any eye on any parts that start looking a little threadbare, I think it will be fine :)
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, even if it's a little longer. Suits you.
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Board Guide
    10.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good idea to tuck away your December pay if it is being paid early otherwise January will be a long month. At least you are now debt free so that is less outgoings.

I am sure PD is glad she is being fed and kept warm so I wouldn't worry about not buying her toys. In my experience animals, like humans, value warmth, food and love above all else.

I am not as happy with the election result as you but I think you are in Scotland? That might explain your good constituency result. In my area you could put a blue ribbon on a donkey and she would get a large majority and my MP is every bit as inept as a donkey.
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected]
  • mark55manmark55man Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good idea to tuck away your December pay if it is being paid early otherwise January will be a long month. At least you are now debt free so that is less outgoings.

I am sure PD is glad she is being fed and kept warm so I wouldn't worry about not buying her toys. In my experience animals, like humans, value warmth, food and love above all else.

I am not as happy with the election result as you but I think you are in Scotland? That might explain your good constituency result. In my area you could put a blue ribbon on a donkey and she would get a large majority and my MP is every bit as inept as a donkey.

Same here ES

I think BCNS is in SNP territory and they had a good night, although the results for the rest of the country mean there will be no sympathy in Westminster.

I am/will be better off with the Tory result but would have given a lot more for it to have gone the other way, but the neutral on brexit stance was never going to play well.

I'm sorry to gloat but for me the stand out results were Putney and Jo Swinson losing her seat.
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)
    Weight/Health - 1/1/2020 - 121kg : 30/07/2020 - 107Kg - Last month 0kg
    12/19: CC:[email protected]% - Car:[email protected]% - Mort:[email protected]% = £140K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2019:£16K 2020 (YTD): -£22K
  • Oh I'm definitely not thrilled with the overall results, but my local MP up here is very good in the community, and whilst not always the most likeable, they deserved to keep their seat (although they will feel very lonely!). They send out a monthly newsletter with their caseload, how they voted in the commons, and videos of the speeches they make in the commons and in the media, and I'm aligned with a lot of that. Some tough times ahead though, that's for sure.

I'm not surprised the SNP had such a good night - Scotland is generally pro-EU (especially in this town) and the potential of an independent Scotland not being allowed in the EU was a big reason for people voting against independence in the indy ref. If we're to be dragged out of EU anyway, by a EU referendum we voted against and by a government most didn't vote for...it's not difficult to see why the vote has swung the SNP way. Again, tough times to come, I think!

Enough of politics - and back to MSE matters (I keep wanting to type debt-busting - old habits! :rotfl:). My diary is a year old tomorrow and I'm so pleased I kept with it. Some days when I hadn't kept to my original plan, it was so easy to think I'll just skip it :o, or gloss over the overspend :o, but keeping myself accountable has been far more rewarding than just posting about the highlights :)

Christmas is all sorted - I didn't buy much, but happy with the thought I've put into those that I have ;) I've also done some shopping for my brother for his wife - he needed some stocking fillers for her, so I spent an afternoon picking up some little pieces I hope she'll like. He'll reimburse me for it when I catch up with him next week for a coffee after work. He has volunteered to host Christmas for some of the family this year - great for me, as he's relatively local and on a bus route that's running on the day, so even better. It also means I don't have to post anything apart from the few Christmas cards I'm sending (and still need to write...). Also, I will be able to slip away in the evening under my own steam when family time starts to wear a little thin :p and spend the rest of the night on the sofa with PD and a restorative glass of something having survived that far :D :rotfl:
    10.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mark88man wrote: »
    Same here ES

I think BCNS is in SNP territory and they had a good night, although the results for the rest of the country mean there will be no sympathy in Westminster.

I am/will be better off with the Tory result but would have given a lot more for it to have gone the other way, but the neutral on brexit stance was never going to play well.

I'm sorry to gloat but for me the stand out results were Putney and Jo Swinson losing her seat.

I think you are right Mark and we will be better off with the majority government as our investments are up already as stock markets don't like uncertainty. One very wise person though said to me that if you are doing ok vote for who is best for the country overall and if you are not doing ok vote for who is best for you. We will be fine but I do think that less fortunate people may struggle for another 5 years of austerity in public services.

No stand out moment at all for me as I don't feel I identify with any party overall at the moment and am completely disillusioned with politics here and in USA which is where I think we are heading. We always seem to be about 10 years behind them and now we have our own Donald Trump. Certainly not happy with Brexit but I think that ship has sailed now so I accept defeat as graciously as I can muster. :rotfl::rotfl:

As you say SNP had a good night.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected]
    10.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hijack your diary on politics BCNS. Sounds like you have some good plans for Christmas and even better you can get back under your own steam when you have had enough of families. We all get on reasonably well thank goodness but next week I have my mum and brother down from the big City so our family Christmas is being spread over a few weeks rather than a few days. My food budget is looking horrendous already due to stocking up on food and drink for entertaining etc. Luckily it is just once a year

• DrawingalineDrawingaline Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I like reading your diary bcns. It refocused me on my own journey, which has not been great this year!
    Dad 6k
    Offer on house and chain complete 21st July 2020
    Solicitors instructed 23rd July 2020
    Mortgage application 28th July 2020
    Mortgage valuation booked 12th August