Oak Coat Rack

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
6 replies 299 views
turboturbo Forumite
171 Posts
I've just bought one of these and it's arrived unfinished.
Can it be left unfinished.? I've been looking at wax finishes and oil finishes. There are so many choices. It will be used in an unheated porch.

Replies

• Ebe_ScroogeEbe_Scrooge Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    As long as it's not in a damp environment then you can leave it unfinished if you want. It's purely down to aesthetics - if you like the way it looks then leave it. If you want to change the colour a bit, then you can put on some wax, varnish, or even paint. I'd be a bit hesitant about oiling it, in case the oil ends up staining the coats you hang on it. But there's no actual need to treat it if you don't want to, it's not going to rot. It's purely personal preference.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
  • phill99phill99 Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you put a moist garment onto an unfinished oak rack, it will turn black!!

the tanins in natural oak leech out when the wood is wet and show as black areas.

Ideally, it needs a coat of clear varnish to seal it.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • turboturbo Forumite
    171 Posts
    Thank you Ebe Scrooge and phill99 for your replies. I hadn't thought about varnish or paint.
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    phill99 wrote: »
    If you put a moist garment onto an unfinished oak rack, it will turn black!!

Fair point - I'd mentioned in my reply about the damp environment, I hadn't thought about damp coats ! Bonus point to you :-)
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    turbo wrote: »
    Thank you Ebe Scrooge and phill99 for your replies. I hadn't thought about varnish or paint.

It's down to personal preference - if the oak is proper, attractive wood then it almost seems a shame to paint it; a varnish (clear or very light) might look better. But it's your choice :-)
  • turboturbo Forumite
    171 Posts
    We have three dogs so a lot of wet coats after dog walks.
    It's lovely oak and I'm sure we have a tin of clear matt vanish hidden away somewhere.
    Thanks again for the replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals