Blank search but CAIS exist

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit File & Ratings
5 replies 636 views
Jax01Jax01 Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit File & Ratings
Hi all

My mum called me for advice today, as I’m a Credit underwriter. She is looking to retire, so applied for her own phone contract - only to be declined.
She tried to get a copy of her file but neither Experian nor Equifax could electronically identify her.
Step in me. In short, her credit file shows no CAIS at all, only her electoral role. My Dads shows 4 credit cards.
They have multiple joint accounts, a card in Mums own name, utility bills etc, however they don’t show on either of their credit searches.

My only guess is that these accounts were opened so long ago - joint bank accounts in the late 1970’s - that they’re not showing on their searches?

Utilities - they check comparison websites then call their existing supplier and persuade them to match it. So utilities too haven’t changed since 1989/90.

Obviously I’ve advised her to open a current account and card using one of the banks they have a joint account with to ‘start’ her score, but it did remind me of other ‘blank’ searches I’ve seen of people my parents age with no CAIS who say they’ve had these accounts for years.
In theory these folks are the safest bet there is...yet they don’t display as such!

Is there a year cut off?

If anyone can shed any light I’d be very interested!

Thanks

Jax

Replies

  • edited 27 November 2019 at 10:11PM
    Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 November 2019 at 10:11PM
    You say your Mum tried to obtain her credit files but could not be identified so presumably was unable to obtain them. So how did you obtain them then?
    The bit about all old accounts not being reported is a myth.
    And if you really are a credit underwriter you would know scores are a myth also and people don't need to 'start' their scores.
    Are you really saying your Mum has never applied for any form of credit whatsoever since the late 1970's? I find this almost impossible to believe especially as she is now looking to retire and therefore presumably works? Your assumptions about people approaching retirement age are a few decades out of date.
    And if you say her electoral roll info was showing then they would have been able to identify her from that, wouldn't they ...
  • boo_starboo_star Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    You say your Mum tried to obtain her credit files but could not be identified so presumably was unable to obtain them. So how did you obtain them then?
    The bit about all old accounts not being reported is a myth.

    No, it isn't.

    All accounts that pre-date the DPA 1998 are not reported to the CRAs unless the account holder explicitly allows it.

    You can ask them to report it, which usually requires a form to be filled out, signed and returned.
  • edited 28 November 2019 at 4:53AM
    Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2019 at 4:53AM
    boo_star wrote: »
    No, it isn't.

    All accounts that pre-date the DPA 1998 are not reported to the CRAs unless the account holder explicitly allows it.

    You can ask them to report it, which usually requires a form to be filled out, signed and returned.
    Without disputing what you have said could you suggest why I have a current account 35 years+ old (pre 1985 account opening date), a credit card 30 years+ old (pre 1990 account opening date) and a store card 25 years+ old all of which are reported. In no case have I ever requested these accounts to be reported or taken any action to cause them to be reported. The bank account possibly could be explained by changes to the account type and overdraft facilities? but the credit card is unchanged even card type has never been changed. Same with the storecard. What I am saying is factually correct which is why I am saying that it is a myth that all old acounts are not reported. I am actually pleased they are reported but as I said have never asked for them to be. The credit card has a nice big limit and they do wonders for the average account age on my credit files.
  • boo_starboo_star Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    Without disputing what you have said could you suggest why I have a current account 35 years+ old (pre 1985 account opening date), a credit card 30 years+ old (pre 1990 account opening date) and a store card 25 years+ old all of which are reported. In no case have I ever requested these accounts to be reported or taken any action to cause them to be reported. The bank account possibly could be explained by changes to the account type and overdraft facilities? but the credit card is unchanged even card type has never been changed. Same with the storecard. What I am saying is factually correct which is why I am saying that it is a myth that all old acounts are not reported. I am actually pleased they are reported but as I said have never asked for them to be. The credit card has a nice big limit and they do wonders for the average account age on my credit files.

    I don't know.

    Having worked for a bank, and having known several older people who have blank credit files as a result of it I can assure you that older accounts were not, and still aren't, reported as a matter of routine.

    I always thought that a simple letter saying "we're going to start reporting your account conduct to the CRA's" was sufficient. Apparently not.
  • Thanks folks.
    I did their searches with their permission, hence knowing what they said.
    The fact is she has no CAIS showing- yet has 2 joint current accounts and at least one card in her sole name.
    The ‘age’ thing was the only theory I could come up with.
    They certainly took out a small amount extra on their mortgage circa 2003, but it was repaid in full by 2010. From questioning I don’t think they have applied for credit since then!

    My parents are both accountants and I’ve worked in FS since 2002, so we’re all bemused.

    She’s always had a work phone, and it’s applying for her own phone that has revealed this.

    Electoral role is the only thing showing so I do understand why she failed the ID check, as active CAIS are part of the electronic KYC process these days.

    I too have seen old CAIS (pre 1998), but the 1998 rule would fit this scenario.

    They called Lloyd’s last night who said Experian ‘choose not to report their current accounts’ which I find rubbish.
    I know HSBC don’t report, so I think the element of blame is round the wrong way.

    No, there’s no ‘score’ except on these consumer things, however the fact remains she wants a phone on a contract and is currently declined!

    They hope to call the other bank & card company and get those reported.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals