Forum Home» Public Transport & Cycling

Money Moral Dilemma: Should we claim £300 for a train delay when we still enjoyed the journey? - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

Money Moral Dilemma: Should we claim £300 for a train delay when we still enjoyed the journey?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
45 replies 20.2K views

Replies

• jewelqueenjewelqueen Forumite
    6 posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    I'd still apply if you are entitled to do so. If you feel guilty about the money why not give it to charity?
  • Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    14.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Afourteen wrote: »
    Business or Pleasure trip?
    If Business then claim but the person/company paying will want the refund.

If Pleasure did you miss any appointments (e.g. Car Hire, Booked Taxie)?

If no missed appointment and you enjoyed the delay for what ever reason, then don't claim. If you missed any reserved appointment then claim and include the additional costs.

You cannot claim the additional costs (transport firms are not liable for consequential losses).
  • Blackbeard_of_PerranporthBlackbeard_of_Perranporth Forumite
    7.2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I even claim when my journey for work is delayed! Company I work for gets the refund!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
  • I would not claim. It seems you enjoyed the journey and the 90 mins delay did not inconvenience you. I am afraid we live in a compensation culture, the only people getting rich are the solicitors/lawyers. Where I live we occasionally have no train, either due to staff sickness or breakdowns and you can travel so far then they put a bus on, you get home late but I know they are a new company trying to improve our rail service, but if they have to keep paying compensation claims they won't have as much money to spend on the railway, so it will only be the public who will suffer in the long run.
  • pwharleypwharley Forumite
    22 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Claim the money but.... book another trip on the sleeper.
  • MiddlestitchMiddlestitch Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe find something real to worry about?
  • happyinfloridahappyinflorida Forumite
    798 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Of course you should claim it

Private train companies are making millions in profit but for some reason the corrupt tories are giving them £5 billion of taxpayers money to "help them out" - so claim

I'm sick of fat cat companies, many of which pay no tax in UK because the tories have passed so many tax loop hole laws that all and sundry of the big businesses seem to be able to avoid paying any tax, or HMRC lets them negioate?! I mean how many of us can change how much tax we pay each month, none of us, but these companies pay a tiny amount of what they should and it's all legit. Of course, many of them donate large sums to the tory party - which they can claim back in their expenses too, we are being so ripped off in this country

If you care about this all changing for our benefit, vote labour on Dec 12th
  • Yes you should claim, if only to persuade the operator that they have to improve their performance for all customers.
  • Mr_SingletonMr_Singleton Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Before I can answer..... Could you confirm if it’s the same ScotRail that charges it’s customers some of the highest train fares in Western Europe?
  • JamJarJamJar Forumite
    40 posts
    10 Posts
    Fill your boots with the claim.....do whatever you want with the money.

Enjoy!

JJ