New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Major holiday change

16 replies 1.2K views
1888NorthEnd1888NorthEnd Forumite
3 posts
I booked a holiday with TUI in April this year,paying the full balance on credit card. With 6 days to go TUI changed the departure from Manchester to London Gatwick. In their t's and c's this is a major change.

Because the departure was 6.45am I was unable to make the flight and so cancelled the holiday. Am I entitled to compensation?

Replies

• Dave46049Dave46049 Forumite
    119 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    Yes, I think they can offer you a replacement, but if it's not suitable then you should get a refund - how have they told you about the change, and what have they said you can do about it?
  • bradders1983bradders1983 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Compo?

No, you are entitled to a full refund, which I assume you got, and maybe you could have put a claim in for a refund of car parking charges at Manchester if applicable.
    1.4K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Dave46049 wrote: »
    Think the OP "booked" in April for a holiday now - and only now have TUI changed the departure airport - thats how I read it anyway
    Yes I realised that after I typed it, had already edited :j
  • Dave46049Dave46049 Forumite
    119 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    Yes I realised that after I typed it, had already edited :j

And I've now deleted my post! :rotfl:
    1.4K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Ah !!!!!! :rotfl:
  • GangaGanga Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think if TUI make a major change to your holiday you are entitled to your money back and £40 per person compensation,might be worth speaking to TUI to see if they can sort another holiday for you that suits you.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • bagand96bagand96 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    From the TUI T&Cs:
    If we make a major change we’ll pay the compensation shown below, unless the change is because of an event beyond our control, and we’ll always refund the difference in price if the replacement holiday is a lower price at the date of the change. Any compensation payable is based upon how many days before your holiday departure we tell you about a major change. We’ll pay 50% of the compensation for each person who paid a child price. No compensation will be paid for free child places.

Compensation
    How long before your holiday we tell you about a major change / Compensation per person
    More than 84 days 0
    83-29 days £25
    28-15 days £35
    14-8 days £50
    7-0 days £100

Events Beyond Our Control
    Examples of events beyond our control are: war, threat of war, riots, civil disturbances, terrorist activity or its consequences, industrial disputes, any failure to secure relevant flying rights, natural or nuclear disasters, fire, health risks, unavoidable and unforeseeable technical problems with transport, closed or congested airports or ports, actual or potential severe weather conditions, the imposition of sanctions or other Governmental action and any other similar events.

In theory you are entitled to £100 per passenger compensation. I say in theory, because their "Events beyond our control" list is quite extensive. You need to get in touch with them and ask for your £100 each and go from there...
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    8.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    There seems to be something of a trend developing with TUI changing airports. Worrying for anybody who doesn't live somewhere central. Manchester to Gatwick departure is a massive change. 230 miles and probably around 5 hours driving on a good day.
  • bagand96bagand96 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    There seems to be something of a trend developing with TUI changing airports. Worrying for anybody who doesn't live somewhere central. Manchester to Gatwick departure is a massive change. 230 miles and probably around 5 hours driving on a good day.

It’s a got a lot to do with the 737 MAX being grounded. TUI have 6 of them that they’ve not been allowed to fly since March.

That added to the fact that they’ll also be trying to squeeze extra flights into their programme to take some of the vacant market share left by Thomas Cook has seen significant pressure on their flying programme.
  • bobblebobbobblebob Forumite
    810 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Personally i would have seen if they would have put me up in accomodation overnight free of charge at Gatwick/London and paid for a train to the airport for me. Surely they would rather do that then lose hundreds/thousands by refunding you.