»

carers allowance and universal credit - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

carers allowance and universal credit

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
11 replies 729 views
2»

Replies

• poppy12345 wrote: »
    Sorry but there's no financial gain when claiming carers allowance and UC at the same time and i'm not sure why you're insisting that there is. The reason why there's no gain is because you can claim the carers element without claiming carers allowance as advised multiple times.

Yes, carers allowance can be backdated for 3 months but if the person is claiming UC then that backdated money is pointless because it's still deducted £1 for £1 from any UC entitlement.

Whether or not the carers element is backdated will depend on whether the person caring reported caring responsibilities, if they didn't it's possible they won't back dated it.

I've said all i'm going to say on this thread, i'm out.

I have very clearly set out why there is a financial gain over not doing anything. The gain is just the same (going forwards) as getting the the Carer Element however - which I have also very clearly stated.

If CA is backdated, the Carer Element is also retrospectively included in those UC assessment periods. So in real terms it wouldn't be deducted pound for pound.
    A person would therefore receive 13 weeks of £37.

If they only reported their caring responsibilities without claiming CA, the Carer Element would only be included from the 1st day of the assessment period in which it was reported.