Forum Home» Green & Ethical MoneySaving

Green, ethical, energy issues in the news (last 2 weeks) - Page 409

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Green, ethical, energy issues in the news (last 2 weeks)

edited 9 October 2018 at 9:41AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
5.3K replies 416.6K views

Replies

• edited 18 November 2019 at 3:52PM
    zeupaterzeupater Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 November 2019 at 3:52PM
    Cardew wrote: »
    What an excellent idea.

Like so many other posters I grew weary of Martyn’s posting and after a couple of PMs decided to get away from his domination of threads in the Green and Ethical section of this forum and post in the Moneysavers Arms. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5726460&highlight=solar

The subject of my post was a Commons public accounts committee report on how consumer bills were affected by subsidies to support solar and wind power.

It took Martyn but a day to discover the thread and the opening line of the first of his fifty lengthy posts in this particular thread – bear in mind on solar and wind power! - predictably raised criticism of fossil fuel; and other posts swiftly moved on to criticism of nuclear power.

Requests to keep to the subject of the thread i.e The Commons public accounts committee report of solar/wind subsidies; met with this predictable response – no prizes for guessing the poster!

So good luck with a Martyn free thread! Albeit I fear it is doomed to fail.
    Hi

:think: ... but, after all these years, who on Earth in their right mind would possibly associate Cardew with 'renewables bashing'? .... don't you just love the hypocrisy that such a thought would entail! ... :whistle:

:snow_laug .... :rotfl:
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

:think: ... but, after all these years, who on Earth in their right mind would possibly associate Cardew with 'renewables bashing'? .... don't you just love the hypocrisy that such a thought would entail! ... :whistle:

:snow_laug .... :rotfl:

Trolls to the left of me, deniers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you!

Looking on the bright side Z, they do all seem to be slowly coalescing into a single group, perhaps even thread. That way the hard line leftie Uber-hippies can keep a close eye on their movements ready for the start of the revolution ................... :rotfl:
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    11.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Short article looking at how things are going regarding 2030 targets:

Meeting Europe’s 2030 Energy Climate Goals: Renewables To Command 53% Of Electricity In 2030
    Wood MacKenzie reports that although gas’s contributions will rise as coal and nuclear diminish, the combined supply of wind and solar will eventually rival gas. The projection is that the wind industry alone will far exceed gas in electricity generation by late in the next decade.

And a still developing site that gives live carbon intensity figures for generation, but don't look at Poland ....... I said don't look!

Electricity Map Live

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    11.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another case of life and lemons perhaps.

Wind speeds are now rising, they had been falling, but science is not sure if it's down to GW yet. But the impact on wind generation is significant:

Renewable energy: climate crisis 'may have triggered faster wind speeds'
    Zeng said the unexpected acceleration is likely to have played a bigger role in improving the efficiency of windfarms in the US than technological innovations.

• edited 19 November 2019 at 4:22PM
    zeupaterzeupater Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 November 2019 at 4:22PM
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Trolls to the left of me, deniers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you!

Looking on the bright side Z, they do all seem to be slowly coalescing into a single group, perhaps even thread. That way the hard line leftie Uber-hippies can keep a close eye on their movements ready for the start of the revolution ................... :rotfl:
    Hi

Thought it was quiet on the thread but then the above gave a clue as to why ...

Alternative to Green? ... first thoughts were 'brown' or 'black', which suggested oil, coal etc so that would obviously not make too much sense .. but then it hit me, 'green' in this case isn't a colour, it's the idea of environmentalism, ecology & sustainability :T ...

... hang on a minute though, wouldn't that mean that the alternative to 'sustainable' would be 'unsustainable' .... who on earth would create a thread titled 'The Unsustainable Thread' on the G&E board ?? ... :( ... as long as it leads to it remaining more civil on the main threads, who cares though!!

HTH
    Z ... ;)
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    11.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Article on RE to produce high temperatures, which is another challenge that needs addressing.

Bill Gates backs startup using sunlight to create 1,000C-plus heat
    Bill Gates is backing a new venture which aims to turn sunlight into a source of heat exceeding 1,000C that could help replace fossil fuels.

The world’s richest man is joining investors behind Heliogen, the first company to concentrate sunlight to reach temperatures that are high enough to power heavy industry without carbon emissions.

The technology could even reach temperatures of 1,500C to split hydrogen molecules from water to create a fossil-free gas to warm homes, fuel cars and power factories.
    Gross said creating low-cost, ultra-high-temperature process heat gives the company an opportunity to make meaningful contributions to solving the climate crisis.

The technology can generate temperatures high enough to manufacture cement without fossil fuels.

• silverwhistlesilverwhistle Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    JKenH wrote: »
    I would also add that I am always amused by those who take the time and trouble to tell a contributor they have placed them on ignore.

Well, as you can see I haven't put you on ignore but it really wasn't much trouble to ask other posters not to quote another poster at length.

Martyn may be a productive and lengthy poster at times, but you only seem to take issue with him. Why not with some of the real fantasy rubbish on here? I'm afraid the latter is just one of the reasons I don't take that much notice of what you post.

And as for having Cardew back: Zeupater has already summed that up...
    11.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Article on PV and storage, but it also includes wind, so best on here I think:

Harmony Energy eyes second battery at Creyke Beck amidst sizeable subsidy-free solar pipeline

I won't give any extracts as the article is small, and every bit is (I believe) really interesting.

• edited 19 November 2019 at 5:16PM
    Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    11.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 November 2019 at 5:16PM
    Hopefully we can now celebrate this news without attracting the wrath of the fossil fools.

EU bank sponsors solar pipeline after landmark fossil fuel funding u-turn
    The world’s largest multilateral lender has followed its momentous decision to phase out fossil fuel funding with a move to back solar across European countries.

Late last week, the European Investment Bank (EIB) board approved €1.5 billion (US$1.6 billion) in new funding for renewables just as it voted to stop lending to fossil fuel projects by the end of 2021, citing a need to ramp up ambition to ensure Europe meets its climate targets.

The institution said the €1.5 billion earmarked under ‘Accelerating energy transition and scaling up renewable energy’ would support 15 new solar plants in Spain, as well as separate wind projects in Europe and Africa and small-scale renewable ventures across the world.

Addendum:

European Investment Bank drops fossil fuel funding
    The European Union is to stop funding oil, gas and coal projects at the end of 2021, cutting €2bn (£1.7bn) of yearly investments.

The European Investment Bank (EIB), the EU's financing department, will bar funding for most fossil fuel projects.

The ban will come into effect a year later than originally proposed after lobbying by EU member states.

Since 2013, the EIB has funded €13.4bn of fossil fuel projects.

Last year it funded about €2bn worth of projects.

Under the new policy, energy projects applying for EIB funding will need to show they can produce one kilowatt hour of energy while emitting less than 250 grams of carbon dioxide, a move which excludes traditional gas-burning power plants.

11.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Storage.

More info on those Tesla Powerpacks being trucked around Aus, they are going to make the big battery a bit bigger:

Tesla Grid-Scale Battery In South Australia To Get 50% Larger
    Tesla’s 129 MWh Hornsdale battery in South Australia was the biggest grid-scale battery in the world when it went into service two years ago. Now Neoen, the French company that operates the Hornsdale facility, says it will increase the capacity of the system by 50% to 150 MW/193.5 MWh.

And some UK carbon storage, but ....

North Sea oilfields could help contain climate change, says report
    North Sea oil executives believe the ageing fossil fuel basin may still lead a global climate revolution by providing a testbed for clean energy breakthroughs.

An industry report has revealed that the North Sea could emerge as an unlikely climate hero by becoming a global showcase for the energy transition after decades producing fossil fuels.

The basin has produced almost 40bn barrels of oil over the last 40 years, but as oilfields decline the empty caverns could be used to store carbon emissions, according to PricewaterhouseCoopers.

The advisory firm added that North Sea gas producers may eventually be able to produce zero-carbon hydrogen by using electricity generated by offshore wind turbines to split the carbon molecules from natural gas.

..... and now for the but!

We can now produce green hydrogen using RE leccy and water, so extracting FF's and then trying to put the carbon back seems a bit silly.

Only a suggestion, but why not build bio-mass generation near the coastal pipelines, then store the CO2 given off, captured from the CO2 dense emissions. This would supply us with predictable, even demand following generation, and actually be carbon negative, rather than carbon neutral (at best)?