Forum Home» Green & Ethical MoneySaving

Green, ethical, energy issues in the news (last 2 weeks) - Page 408

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Green, ethical, energy issues in the news (last 2 weeks)

edited 9 October 2018 at 10:41AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
5.3K replies 416.5K views
1405406408410411528

Replies

  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKenH wrote: »
    If I start a new thread can we agree that if I stay off your thread you will stay off mine?

    If we see something we don’t like on the other’s thread we will copy the post to our own threads and argue with ourselves on there.

    I don’t believe that is any great hardship

    Sounds good to me, and I can ignore what you say to keep this thread clean, whilst you 'aff a go' at anything I say without my having a right to reply ...... but worth the price.

    Thanks and goodbye.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

    For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EricMears wrote: »
    If you're going to criticise posts, at least have the courtesy to read them first ! Do you not recall me saying this :-
    Also, sometimes you post items of green or ethical news here that I do find interesting - putting you on ignore would me I'd miss them !

    I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said about me. :)
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

    For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • edited 18 November 2019 at 1:38PM
    Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 November 2019 at 1:38PM
    1961Nick wrote: »
    All this nonsense about what I believe in exists entirely inside your head. You need to re-examine that ... or get someone else to do it for you.;)

    In this post alone you've accused me of;

    Baiting
    Science denial
    Disinformation
    Spin
    Lying
    Denial

    That's just in one short post ... and you wonder why the thread is deteriorating.

    I won't go through everything you've said, but just try to give some examples:

    Baiting - You make a lot of posts stating 'how I am' in your opinion, which is clearly baiting, you seem to want to play me, not the ball.

    Science denial - You stated that the UK was only responsible for 1% of cumulative CO2 emissions when it's actually 5% (though you later 'hid' the other 80% in the oceans). You claimed that experts disagreed over AGW figures. You've tried repeatedly to promote the 'CO2 is good for crops' science denial, and when I presented an article/report you said it was just one report/crop, when I gave you loads, you said you found them vague and unconvincing - so you know better than science.

    The next three are similar/crossovers:

    Disinformation, Spin, Lying - You've made false claims about what I believe, or even where I live (height above seawater) in order to falsely claim I don't care.

    You have been challenged by a number of posters over your use of 'so what you are saying' in order to present something that I have not said.

    You have monstrously exaggerated the cost of mitigation, going so far as to state that we would be spending 100% of GDP for the next 30yrs.

    You have questioned the UK's responsibility to take mitigation action, somehow believing that we don't have as much responsibility to act as everyone else as we are 'only' responsible for 1% of current annual emissions, yet with 1% of the World population, and our being responsible for 5% of cumulative CO2 emissions, your argument seems morally bankrupt.

    You do jump into any disagreement I have, such as with Leviathan, apparently just to spin 'an argument' argument.

    Denial - Repeat of 2(?) perhaps an example of spin. ;) [Edit - have I just spotted the joke(?) you mentioned it twice because you keep denying you've posted science denial .... very good. M.]

    I could go on, but I appreciate there is little point. But I think it is important that you 'pretend'(?) to take great offence at my pointing out when you are spinning, FUDing, denying etc., which I find odd, since it's entirely your decision to spin, FUD, deny etc., so are you not aware you are doing it, or are you doing it simply to bait so as to start yet more arguments, so you can point to me being involved in more arguments.

    Remember, I can't point out you are doing these things, if you don't do them, so don't shoot the messenger.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

    For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see the income options:

    Report: UK wind and marine energy exports worth £525m a year
    UK is the 'go-to destination' around the world for expertise on designing, building, and further developing wind, wave, and tidal energy projects, RenewableUK claims


    The UK's wind, wave, and tidal energy sector exports are worth £525m to the economy each year, with British-based companies now exporting their products and services to 37 countries across six continents, according to a new RenewableUK report released today.

    The trade body said 47 UK onshore wind, offshore wind, wave and tidal energy companies have signed a total of 465 contracts in the past year, covering hundreds of projects around the world in Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, and North and South America.


    Strange article title that 'made me look', and eventually (para 4) they point out it's due to wildfires.

    PG&E may shut off power to 250,000 customers in California due to wind this week
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

    For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • 1961Nick1961Nick Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I won't go through everything you've said, but just try to give some examples:

    Baiting - You make a lot of posts stating 'how I am' in your opinion, which is clearly baiting, you seem to want to play me, not the ball.

    Science denial - You stated that the UK was only responsible for 1% of cumulative CO2 emissions when it's actually 5% (though you later 'hid' the other 80% in the oceans). You claimed that experts disagreed over AGW figures. You've tried repeatedly to promote the 'CO2 is good for crops' science denial, and when I presented an article/report you said it was just one report/crop, when I gave you loads, you said you found them vague and unconvincing - so you know better than science.

    The next three are similar/crossovers:

    Disinformation, Spin, Lying - You've made false claims about what I believe, or even where I live (height above seawater) in order to falsely claim I don't care.

    You have been challenged by a number of posters over your use of 'so what you are saying' in order to present something that I have not said.

    You have monstrously exaggerated the cost of mitigation, going so far as to state that we would be spending 100% of GDP for the next 30yrs.

    You have questioned the UK's responsibility to take mitigation action, somehow believing that we don't have as much responsibility to act as everyone else as we are 'only' responsible for 1% of current annual emissions, yet with 1% of the World population, and our being responsible for 5% of cumulative CO2 emissions, your argument seems morally bankrupt.

    You do jump into any disagreement I have, such as with Leviathan, apparently just to spin 'an argument' argument.

    Denial - Repeat of 2(?) perhaps an example of spin. ;)

    I could go on, but I appreciate there is little point. But I think it is important that you 'pretend'(?) to take great offence at my pointing out when you are spinning, FUDing, denying etc., which I find odd, since it's entirely your decision to spin, FUD, deny etc., so are you not aware you are doing it, or are you doing it simply to bait so as to start yet more arguments, so you can point to me being involved in more arguments.

    Remember, I can't point out you are doing these things, if you don't do them, so don't shoot the messenger.

    How could I be aware I'm doing it if it's purely a symptom of your paranoia? That's your problem to solve not mine.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus Batteries - 12kWh
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 18 November 2019 at 2:03PM
    Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 November 2019 at 2:03PM
    1961Nick wrote: »
    How could I be aware I'm doing it if it's purely a symptom of your paranoia? That's your problem to solve not mine.

    Sorry Nick I'm not sure what your point is.

    You posted challenging the statement I had made, so I have given you a selection of examples showing you doing them all.

    Again, I notice that you get extremely defensive/angry when I say you 'denied' or 'spun' etc., but don't shoot the messenger, it's your decision to post those statements, arguments, claims etc on a green and ethical board/thread, so you can't really complain when I point them out.

    I (and another poster) did the same recently when Ken posted information from a science denial site to support his position, but in fairness to him, he didn't then deny the fact.

    PS - Accusing me of paranoia after I have provided thorough examples/evidence is itself, perhaps, another example of baiting and your insistence to continue a circular argument long after the facts prove you wrong.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

    For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick - Just a thought, but clearly you and I are never going to see eye to eye on these issues, so would you also be open to Ken's suggestion, perhaps you could place all your criticisms of my RE / AGW views on a separate thread, or collaborate (more) with Ken on a joint thread.

    Hope this helps us all. M.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

    For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • EricMearsEricMears Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    JKenH wrote: »
    I would also add that I am always amused by those who take the time and trouble to tell a contributor they have placed them on ignore.
    I find it even more amusing when someone announces that they've put another person on ignore but a day or two later quotes what that other person has said since the alleged ignoring regime started ! :D:D
    NE Derbyshire.
    4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    BEV : Nissan Leaf e+
  • 1961Nick1961Nick Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Sorry Nick I'm not sure what your point is.

    You posted challenging the statement I had made, so I have given you a selection of examples showing you doing them all.

    Again, I notice that you get extremely defensive/angry when I say you 'denied' or 'spun' etc., but don't shoot the messenger, it's your decision to post those statements, arguments, claims etc on a green and ethical board/thread, so you can't really complain when I point them out.

    I (and another poster) did the same recently when Ken posted information from a science denial site to support his position, but in fairness to him, he didn't then deny the fact.

    PS - Accusing me of paranoia after I have provided thorough examples/evidence is itself, perhaps, another example of baiting and your insistence to continue a circular argument long after the facts prove you wrong.
    I've never had, or will ever have an issue with you making your point Mart. It'd be nice if you could extend the same courtesy to others without the need to be so confrontational & rude. What do you think you achieve by being so obnoxious to someone who's just ventured into this section of the forum? It's little wonder that there's no new blood in here.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus Batteries - 12kWh
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKenH wrote: »
    If I start a new thread can we agree that if I stay off your thread you will stay off mine?

    If we see something we don’t like on the other’s thread we will copy the post to our own threads and argue with ourselves on there.

    I don’t believe that is any great hardship

    What an excellent idea.

    Like so many other posters I grew weary of Martyn’s posting and after a couple of PMs decided to get away from his domination of threads in the Green and Ethical section of this forum and post in the Moneysavers Arms. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5726460&highlight=solar

    The subject of my post was a Commons public accounts committee report on how consumer bills were affected by subsidies to support solar and wind power.

    It took Martyn but a day to discover the thread and the opening line of the first of his fifty lengthy posts in this particular thread – bear in mind on solar and wind power! - predictably raised criticism of fossil fuel; and other posts swiftly moved on to criticism of nuclear power.

    Requests to keep to the subject of the thread i.e The Commons public accounts committee report of solar/wind subsidies; met with this predictable response – no prizes for guessing the poster!
    Actually I think it is essential to discuss nuclear since otherwise it just becomes 'renewables bashing'.

    So good luck with a Martyn free thread! Albeit I fear it is doomed to fail.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support