»

My Octopus Agile & Go tariff analysis/comparison website - Page 10

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

My Octopus Agile & Go tariff analysis/comparison website

edited 7 June 2019 at 12:26PM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
298 replies 22.2K views

Replies

• SolarchaserSolarchaser Forumite
    318 posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Why do you say that Nick?
    Surely the water running through the coil should be just as hot as the coil.... depending on the size and length of the coil obviously.

Ken I guess the only thing you could do would be measure the volume of the radiators and see how much they would use as opposed to your cylinder.

I'd think the cylinder would need to be 3/4 times the size of the run as a finger in the air test
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf and Lux 3600 with 17kwh useable storage
  • edited 15 November 2019 at 12:09AM
    1961Nick1961Nick Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 15 November 2019 at 12:09AM
    Why do you say that Nick?
    Surely the water running through the coil should be just as hot as the coil.... depending on the size and length of the coil obviously.

Ken I guess the only thing you could do would be measure the volume of the radiators and see how much they would use as opposed to your cylinder.

I'd think the cylinder would need to be 3/4 times the size of the run as a finger in the air test
    The top coil inside a heat store is very different to that fitted to an indirect cylinder - much longer for starters.

The output temperature will depend on the flow rate, the input temperature & the efficiency of the heat exchanger.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus Batteries - 12kWh
  • JKenHJKenH Forumite
    1.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    1961Nick wrote: »
    The top coil inside a heat store is very different to that fitted to an indirect cylinder - much longer for starters.

The output temperature will depend on the flow rate, the input temperature & the efficiency of the heat exchanger.

I can imagine everything is a bit furred up inside due to the age of the cylinder. Also I am thinking, with the heating coil being towards the bottom half of the tank once the heat has been extracted from the water immediately around it there will be no circulation to bring the hot water at the top of the tank into contact with the coil.

I suppose I will have to park that idea.

When electric boilers come in I could always park a Tesla on the drive to power it with V2H. If one lived near a Tesla supercharger and bought an S with free supercharging that might be an option.:)
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, Nissan Leaf (plus some ICEs:) )
  • EVandPVEVandPV Forumite
    506 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Seems you can actually end up getting money back using leccy on Agile.
    Came across this on the FAQs .....

"Store electricity at times of the day when the Agile prices are super low or even negative (on December 8 2018 Agile dropped to -2.31p per kWh)."
    Scott in Fife, 3kwp pv SSW facing, Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012
    7.2kwh Pylontech battery storage with Lux ac controller
    Renault Zoe 40kwh, Zappi charger
  • ZarchZarch Forumite
    377 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    EVandPV wrote: »
    Seems you can actually end up getting money back using leccy on Agile.
    Came across this on the FAQs .....

"Store electricity at times of the day when the Agile prices are super low or even negative (on December 8 2018 Agile dropped to -2.31p per kWh)."

I wouldn't get too excited at the prospect. Pricing has only gone negative that one single day in almost two years according to my data. :rotfl:

Has gone 0p a couple of times though.
    17 x 300W panels (5.1kWh) on a 3.68kWh SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
    4.8kWh Pylontech battery storage system with Lux AC controller
    Creator of the Energy Stats UK website and @energystatsuk Twitter Feed
  • EVandPVEVandPV Forumite
    506 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Zarch wrote: »
    I wouldn't get too excited at the prospect. Pricing has only gone negative that one single day in almost two years according to my data. :rotfl:

Has gone 0p a couple of times though.

I'm just impressed/amazed that it's even possible.
    Scott in Fife, 3kwp pv SSW facing, Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012
    7.2kwh Pylontech battery storage with Lux ac controller
    Renault Zoe 40kwh, Zappi charger
  • EVandPV wrote: »
    I'm just impressed/amazed that it's even possible.

It won't be possible for any significant quantity of time because some smart !!!! will just hook up a bank of residence heaters and fire them up whenever the price is negative.

Also we are in a time which won't last forever
    The UK nukes are all but one closing down within a decade and all the coal plants even sooner
    And the biomass is also getting it's subsidies cut 2027
    So we will be left with a gas grid
    Wholesale prices will get cheap only when the wind blows hard during low demand periods

Even then with the significant number of interconntors coming online (one is due to be completed in the next two months another in less than a year and many more are under construction or about to start) prices are unlikely to go to zero

Plus those are wholesale prices
    It can be such that wind blows hard and wholesale costs fall to zero but it's during a period when network capacity is low so say 6pm. So while wholesale is zero at that point network charges are very high so the price you pay will still be high.

Overall the grid is changing but it won't be getting cheaper for the average user certainly not for the next decade as the old cheap nukes are retired.
  • edited 20 November 2019 at 5:32PM
    GreatApeGreatApe PPR
    4.5K posts
    edited 20 November 2019 at 5:32PM
    JKenH wrote: »
    We are on oil which is about 5.2p per kWh so your idea might work for us in principle. I am wondering if I could use our existing hw/ch system which incorporates a 210 litre indirect hot water tank on a low rate tariff (E7 which we have is too expensive). If we turned the immersion heater thermostats right up and the boiler temperature stat right down when the pump is on it should take heat out of the tank. The problem would be keeping the motorised valve on the hot water circuit open. There is a sensor on the outside of the tank that comes into play somewhere which presumably I would need to override or disable. I’m not sure how effective it would be though as we have 20 radiators and once the hot water had been round them once I doubt there would be much heat left in the cylinder. We have TRVS so could shut some rads off in the rooms where we have ASHPs but some of the TRVS are 29 years old and a bit sticky.

If you use the go tariff with its 5p rate you can heat at least 4 hours a night at 5p rather than using oil at 6.1p (5.2p @85% efficient) so this will save you some money and will be greener and help balance of trade since the imported gas or french nuclear will be cheaper than imported oil

You could do this with 3-4 cheap resistance heaters which can be had for £15 and a cheap timer for £5 (or you can pay a little more for a resistance heater with an inbuilt timer they exist too). Can try with just one resistance heater and buy more if it works out.

Might be better using the heat pump depending on its cop during the nights
  • edited 20 November 2019 at 6:28PM
    JKenHJKenH Forumite
    1.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    edited 20 November 2019 at 6:28PM
    Because of where I live I can’t have a smart meter so am stuck with E7 at 8.65p/kWh. With ASHPs that is still cheaper than oil for heating and just recently I have been leaving the ASHPs on continuously. I noticed the average hourly running cost had crept up a bit of late so with the cold weather the last couple of days I turned the temperature down on the ASHP to achieve 20C overnight and 21C during the day. From 7.30am yesterday when it was -4.4C, through the day at a max of 3C outside, to 7.45 am today (2.9C) our ASHP in the lounge used 7.8 kWh or 321 W/hr. Between 2.45 am and 7.45am today when the inside temperature was 20C and outside 3C approx it used just 1.1 kWh or 220 W/h which works out at 1.9p/h for a 38 sqm room.

It would have been brilliant if I could have got on the EDF EV tariff you recommended as I would then have had 98 hours of 8p/h electricity but was turned down because of the lack of network coverage where I live. The alternative offered of a flat rate of 11.59 would still be attractive from a heating point of view but with the Leaf I need as much cheap night time electricity as I can get.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, Nissan Leaf (plus some ICEs:) )
  • edited 25 November 2019 at 12:53PM
    Dave_FowlerDave_Fowler Forumite
    541 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 25 November 2019 at 12:53PM
    I've received my first monthly account statement from Octopus since I joined their Agile tariff and as a warning to others who may have recently gone over to this tariff, I suggest you check your statement very carefully.

The statement I have received is a total fiction. The complication, I suspect, is that I was on an E7 tariff for the first 3 days after they changed the meters and before the Agile tariff went live.

The figures on the statement (they give the half-hourly consumption figures for every day of the month) show zero for the time midnight to 8:00am and the figures for the rest of the day have been 'massaged' so that the total consumption for the period makes the final smart meter reading agree with the sum of the figures in the statement.

I have used the overnight period of low prices to charge the EV, run the dishwasher and washing machine / tumble drier so that my overnight kWh is actually greater than the daytime. To make up the discrepancy between their totals of energy use from the statement figures (which don't include any night-time usage) and the end of month smart meter reading they have multiplied all the day-time figures by 2. And of course these are all at the much higher day-time costs per kWh.

Fortunately the on-line 'My Account' figures are correct and reflect exactly what my actual energy use has been. It is only the statement which is fiction. So I have asked them to go away again and do a proper calculation using the correct figures.

As I say, beware of the Agile statements, they may be totally wrong.

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car