New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Children in education

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
3 replies 670 views
LijongLijong Forumite
22 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
my two boys are 18 in January. They are both at 6th form studying for their Maths and also doing a painting and decorating course there.

Will their CB and CTC stop in January when they turn 18?

Thanks Li

Replies

• _shel_shel Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lijong wrote: »
    my two boys are 18 in January. They are both at 6th form studying for their Maths and also doing a painting and decorating course there.

Will their CB and CTC stop in January when they turn 18?

Thanks Li

No it continues whilst they are in non advanced education until they are 20. You must phone up and inform tax credits they are staying in education.
    Don't Buy The S*n
  • SpendlessSpendless Forumite
    21.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it continued automatically until 31st August of the second year of sixth form, even after their 18th birthday. My son's birthday is early March.

If after this current academic year they are still in further education rather than higher education (Uni) or working, then I believe you will need to contact the child benefit office with this information.
  • Super, thanks everyone. If they go on an apprenticeship with the college will this still stand?