New Post Advanced Search

Plusnet price increases

edited 8 October 2019 at 5:25PM in Broadband & Internet Access
36 replies 3.3K views
124»

Replies

• commandcommand Forumite
    224 posts
    I am with PN for standard broadband only, now out of contract. I have had an email about the price increase as well. Currently, they charge me £14.49/month. Can anyone suggest any better alternatives, ideally broadband-only?
  • wild666wild666 Forumite
    422 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I got out of my BT contract when they increased the price in 2016, they never notified me of any increase, but tried to charge me over £220 in cancellation charges. I ended up emailing the CEO and only paid £2.50 for the internet and phone for one day.
    If you get the internet and phone from the same company, BT, then it is a package so they cannot claim it's only part of the package that's increasing, if you want out then in most cases you have to cancel both to go with a new provider even if the overall increase is below the rate of inflation but above inflation for the single part of the package.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • ScroungerScrounger Forumite
    783 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    command wrote: »
    I am with PN for standard broadband only, now out of contract. I have had an email about the price increase as well. Currently, they charge me £14.49/month.
    Can anyone suggest any better alternatives...
    NowTV Brilliant Broadband (with free calls etc), effectively £10.50* per month.

[* Includes Quidco £90 cashback. :eek:]

Scrounger
  • edited 28 October 2019 at 9:07PM
    Crimson60Crimson60 Forumite
    743 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 28 October 2019 at 9:07PM
    Re my post #31 - I wonder if the Plusnet landline to Plusnet landline 'included' calls (Plusnet to Plusnet) for up to 60 minutes still apply or will these calls become chargeable if the call plan 'anytime' package is cancelled. I would still have my line rental but might change to pay this monthly when annual renewal is due.

Edit - and update. Plusnet Community say, helpfully, Plusnet to Plusnet calls and all incoming calls would still be free if the calls package is cancelled.

It sounds as if the line rental increase of £12 does apply after all.

Update - I am in a bit of a muddle here. Plusnet Community reply confirms that, with existing fixed price broadband contract, the telephone line rental increase won't be applied after all.
    Thank you.

Crimson
  • Dragonfly1Dragonfly1 Forumite
    99 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts
    I used Live Chat to say I can leave Penalty Free unless they can give me a cheaper deal (I am on a contract from 16 months ago when prices did change mid-contract).

I was offered an initial 18 month contract at £28.99/month.
    Declined this.
    Was then offered a 12 month contract at £25/month. However if I take the Line Rental Saver, this reduces the cost to £22.50/month.

£22.50/month for 12 months - on a 12 month contract.
    For 76Mb.

Kindly accepted :)
  • YBRYBR Forumite
    144 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    I was on Plusnet unlimited fibre with free Evening+weekend calls -increasing to £36pm

Having looked up on comparison websites and phoned Plusnet & told them I would leave unless they could match £25pm unlimited fibre with anytime calls. After some time on hold they did indeed match that price on 12 month contract, which is cheaper than Plusnet's price for new customers.

Thanks to MSE for giving me the confidence to ask/haggle.