House and contents policy loading

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
2 replies 335 views
sussexlad2009sussexlad2009 Forumite
52 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Hi, try to be brief.

Dad's home was flooded in 2013 December.
Due to a small stream that built up due to debris not being cleared from a culvert under the road.
Stream is administered by the EV agency and they and the council are supposed to maintain it, in fact it is there padlock that is on the only access gates.

Insurance company spend a huge sum sorting it all out.

The result is that my elderly father who is disabled now cops for renewal premiums of £900+

I have POA and have managed to get this down to the £800 mark however they tell me that the policy is now loaded for its lifetime and there is nothing they can do.

One might expect that the cost of dads small house would be around £300 per year at the worst.

Is it that the underwriter is trying to recover the full cost of the payout from dads premiums? well they won't ever do that lol

I have provided conclusive documented evidence that the EV agency has now diverted this stream and now it only takes run off from a few local roads above the area that blocked, it has also been modified so that further blockages won't happen. The insurance agency chose not to chase the EV agency or council for costs, that was not dad's fault.

What can I do, this seems to unfair?

Thanks

Replies

This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals