14 replies 2.8K views
2»

Replies

• zagfleszagfles Forumite
    15.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mgdavid wrote: »
    Can you explain how that happens to you, as it's *never* happened to me.
    You have to empty your pockets at airport security, put all your bags, jackets etc in a tray which goes on a conveyor through the scanner. You've obviously never been through Manchester airport, where they even insist you take paper out of your pockets. So not even loose cash would be allowed.
  • J_BJ_B Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    zagfles wrote: »
    ........ Manchester airport, where they even insist you take paper out of your pockets. So not even loose cash would be allowed.

It happened to me at T1 last week :(
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    zagfles wrote: »
    How did you get the cash? Sent in the post, or travel out of your way to some obscure shop? Have you seen this thread
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6061561Airport with no ATMs, and where taxis don't take credit cards? Never happened to me, I did get a receipt once saying GBP but the transaction came through in local currency. Much more likely to get DCC imposed when paying for stuff, where there's a shop assistant/waiter/hotel receptionist pressing the buttons, than an ATM where you are.

But even if the worst happens it'll cost far far less than what happened to the OP in the thread I linked above. Getting cash sent in the post, and carrying loads of cash around especially through airport security where you are physically separated from it is far more risky than an unclear/dodgy ATM.

I went to the shop down the road from work to get the cash, super easy! There's also one near my house.

I'd rather not search for an ATM at an airport. All i want to do when I get off a plane is get to the taxi and get to the hotel. I get the cash for ease.

At security I'm also separated from my passport and cards, so don't see your point there!

Some people just prefer cash, just because you don't it doesn't mean it's the wrong decision. As long as you don't carry more than the allowance you'll be fine.

Also I wanted a guaranteed exchange rate when the pound was higher than it had been in months. I didn't want the uncertainty of Brexit to affect my holiday. I was happy with the rate I got, even if the pound does go up a bit, that's even better because I will be using my card as well! Martin Lewis says split your money if you want some security.
  • zagfleszagfles Forumite
    15.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    I went to the shop down the road from work to get the cash, super easy! There's also one near my house.
    There used to be a decent one near me, but that's closed now and all that's left is the Post Office with their horrendous rates!
    I'd rather not search for an ATM at an airport. All i want to do when I get off a plane is get to the taxi and get to the hotel. I get the cash for ease.
    Fair enough. But ATMs rarely take any searching for. Usually there's one in the baggage collections area, so if you have baggae to collect you can get some while waiting, also usually some in the arrivals area.
    At security I'm also separated from my passport and cards, so don't see your point there!
    If you lose cash it's gone. Might be covered by travel insurance if lucky and within their limits, but you have to go through the hassle of claiming. If you lose cards just contact your bank to get them stopped. No loss.

If you have several cards, as any frequent traveller should, you can put one or two in another part of your baggage so you don't lose all of them.
    Some people just prefer cash, just because you don't it doesn't mean it's the wrong decision. As long as you don't carry more than the allowance you'll be fine.
    It's not a discussion using cash, it's a discussion about how to obtain the cash! I prefer using cash to pay for stuff in general, because it's easier to keep track of spending, and avoid dodgy retailers who impose DCC or charge the wrong amount. I'll use cards for big purchases like hotel bills but generally cash for smaller purchases.

Also I wanted a guaranteed exchange rate when the pound was higher than it had been in months. I didn't want the uncertainty of Brexit to affect my holiday. I was happy with the rate I got, even if the pound does go up a bit, that's even better because I will be using my card as well! Martin Lewis says split your money if you want some security.
    I look at it long term - overall you're better off concentrating on charges not the exchange rate. You can win or lose with exchange rate movements, you always lose with higher charges.