Forum Home» Savings & Investments

Fund of Funds = double the charges?

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Fund of Funds = double the charges?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
19 replies 1.2K views
[Deleted User][Deleted User]
0 posts
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
Does anyone know if you pay charges on the funds held within the fund?
For example LifeStrategy 100, the fund charge is 0.22%

The fund holds many Vanguard funds, eg US equity index which has a charge of 0.10%

Therefore, would you pay 0.22% + 0.10%? Or just the 0.22 for the "parent" fund?

Replies

• coyrlscoyrls Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Just the 0.22.
  • AlbermarleAlbermarle Forumite
    5.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Although terminology in this area can be fluid, normally a ' fund of funds' refers to a managed/active fund containing other managed/active funds .
    These are expensive as there are two layers of active fund management charges.
  • MaxiRobriguezMaxiRobriguez Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    The 0.22 accounts for any charges of the underlying funds, hence why it's double.
  • Albermarle wrote: »
    Although terminology in this area can be fluid, normally a ' fund of funds' refers to a managed/active fund containing other managed/active funds .
    These are expensive as there are two layers of active fund management charges.

Isn't the LS100 a fund of funds?
  • edited 21 October 2019 at 12:52PM
    SonOfSonOf Forumite
    2.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 October 2019 at 12:52PM
    As mentioned above, you are not paying the full charge of the underlying funds in addition to the OCF of the fund of funds. However, there are increased costs but these are reflected in both the transaction charge column and the OCF column.

So, in the case of VLS100, the charges are 0.22% OCF and 0.03% Transaction charges (total 0.25%). Fund of funds tend to have higher transaction charges but as VLS100 is fettered rather than unfettered, its only about 0.01% more for administration whilst the OCF is increased to allow vanguard to build in their margin and cover the cost of the underlying funds.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • bostonerimusbostonerimus Forumite
    3.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the LS100 a fund of funds?

In general terms yes it is; it's a single fund that is made up of other funds and so when you buy it you have a ready made portfolio. You will see the fees on any fact sheet and they will be higher than many of the underlying funds as you are paying for the administration of the portfolio of funds and those fund charges are baked into the fee you see. Such funds run the spectrum from being unfettered ie they can buy funds from any company and manager and also change be actively managed to something like VLS100 that is fettered as it only contains Vanguard funds.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
  • ColdIronColdIron Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if you pay charges on the funds held within the fund?
    For example LifeStrategy 100, the fund charge is 0.22%

The fund holds many Vanguard funds, eg US equity index which has a charge of 0.10%

Therefore, would you pay 0.22% + 0.10%? Or just the 0.22 for the "parent" fund?
    Haven't we been round this loop before? See your post #17 in your thread below and my (and others) replies to your question e.g. my Waitrose analogy

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6052297
  • bowlhead99bowlhead99 Forumite
    11.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Post of the Month
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ColdIron wrote: »
    Haven't we been round this loop before? See your post #17 in your thread below and my (and others) replies to your question e.g. my Waitrose analogy

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6052297
    Yes, I thought I had answered the question recently, my post #24 in that thread after OP had said "it's not clear, but you are probably right".

It is clear, because there are industry-standard disclosure requirements which OEIC funds adopt and will tell you in their prospectus or other marketing material how they are doing it (especially if they are doing it a different special way).
  • I still think this is confusing sorry.

For example HSBC Global Strategy (adventurous) holds Ishares SP500.

From what I can see, the factsheet nor Key Information Document state anything about the charges on this fund within the fund. It is confusing and lacks clarity.
  • LokoloLokolo Forumite
    20.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think this is confusing sorry.

For example HSBC Global Strategy (adventurous) holds Ishares SP500.

From what I can see, the factsheet nor Key Information Document state anything about the charges on this fund within the fund. It is confusing and lacks clarity.

But you don't need to know what the underlying funds cost, it's all calculated and shown in the overall fund cost.