Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families» Pets & Pet Care

MoneySaving for dog owners discussion - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

MoneySaving for dog owners discussion

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Pets & Pet Care
46 replies 8.4K views

Replies

• Thank you for the dog guide but PLEASE mention the SSPCA who are active in Scotland as RSPCA is active in England and Wales, not Scotland
    Thank you
  • 3liz3liz Forumite
    2 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Just wanted to share a couple of things I've found helpful over the past 5 years as a dog owner. 🐾🐾

If you're interested in what you're actually feeding your dog, this is a useful website to visit:

allaboutdogfood . co . uk (Forum is telling me, "Sorry as a new user you are not allowed to post with links")
    🦴

🐶I've been feeding my dog Lily's Kitchen dog food & RAW food. Lily's Kitchen dog food rates well in the above site about but it is expensive. I use Amazon's Subscribe & Save service saving of 15%/month on this and it makes such a difference - I order in bulk. You can use the S & S service monthly, 2-monthly, etc so it's a great tip, as long as the product is actually within the Subscribe & Save service, of course. Subscribe & Save is very easy to use and flexible. eg skip a month, change quantities/dates, etc with a click.

Hope these tips prove useful to someone.

L 🐶🐾🐾
  • 3liz3liz Forumite
    2 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Disappointing comments regarding raw feeding - there is a great raw feeding community with lots of helpful tips and correct guidance re making sure your pet gets the correct amount of bone, protein and offal. Unfortunately some vets are against raw feeding and dismiss it out of hand. There are lots of poor quality dog foods on the market both dry and tinned. Like anything, if you are going to get a pet do lots of research and join groups online of your breed and canine enrichment groups etc. I have been raw feeding my dog since I got her, not only did the vet say its nice not to see an overweight dog but I don't prepare her food and not clean the surfaces down afterwards and I have NEVER had an illness related to raw feeding, whereas people I know seem to sickness bugs fairly frequently;)

I agree - RAW food is good and dogs are clearly evolved to raw meat. I am careful when defrosting/handling raw meat, but I am when using raw meat for myself too. My dog loves raw meat, there's no doubt. Dare I say it, my dog's health is really good - 7yo lab - and he has loads of energy with the most amazing black glossy coat that is always admired. No idea if that has anything to do with food or his mental health (or boht!) - he's only ever been treated with kindness & respect.

When we got our puppy, our vet advised Hills Science Plan as food so we fed him that for almost 3 years. Curiously, the vet was a stockist for it too.

ANyway, abt 4 years ago a lady told me about the website allaboutdogfood . co . uk which rates all dog foods according to their ingredients - it's worth checking out for interesting info. I discovered Hills isnt such a great quality food after all - it is owned by a large corporation that produces many animal food products, which left me wondering just how much 'science' is involved. I'm sure it's fine but there is better. I found Lily's Kitchen - it's expensive, and rates well tho not perfect, but it's miles better than Hills.

I also did a lot of research on RAW food and it spoke sense to me. I initially used Natures Menu - it is good & I wd recommend. I found a local supplier which is more cost effective so moved to them. Raw dog food is the natural way a dog would eat if it wasn't domesticated. Makes sense to me.

I use both dried food (convenient & cleaner all round) and RAW (dog adores it and it feels like the natural way to feed a canine).

L

PS i've just posted a tip on how to save money on dog food - I find Amazon's Subscribe & Save (15%/month) very helpful.
  • HerobHerob Forumite
    1 posts
    It is good to see the guide but I add some other advice:
    1) Join the Dogs Trust to obtain several benefits for minimal cost (as a senior I pay only £12.50 per year (but add a donation)) One benefit is Public Liability insurance for your dog - something no longer part of most house insurance. This could be important if someone claims against you.Do not let your dog free in public without it.
    2) Ensure that your dog is trained (and insured) before taking into a public place and letting it go free. See Kennel clubs good citizen scheme operated by volunteers and you pay only a contribution to venue hire.
    3)Before obtaining a dog, determine whether it needs somewhere to run free and whether you have access to such a place or places and that they are safe (away from bicycles, livestock etc.).Also some dogs may like to swim and on a beach in summer this can be a good way of ensuring that they can cool down.
    4) Accept that dogs are unhappy if left alone at home so do not have a dog if this could happen frequently. For half the year it is unsafe to leave a dog in a car so doing so is not an answer.
  • I've had an email from my pet insurer asking me if they may have missold it to me. Is this now PPI for dogs????
    I'm unsure what to do with this???

This is the email:

Your Animal Friends Pet Insurance Policy – ACTION REQUIRED

From 1st October 2018, the FCA introduced regulations to ensure that any insurance products, bought on or after this date, met the demands and needs of the customer.

We are writing to you because we have now completed a review of the information provided to our customers when selecting a Policy between the 1st of October 2018 and 25th June 2019. As a result of the review we have identified that we should have done more to ensure the Animal Friends Policy you purchased met your demands and needs. Any Policy purchased outside of these dates were sold in line with the requirements that applied at the time.

What you need to do now

At Animal Friends, we offer four different Policy types and many different levels of cover.

Here’s a reminder of the Policy that you purchased between 1st October 2018 and 25th June 2019:

Policy type
    Superior

To ensure the Policy you have with us is suited to your requirements, please review the Helping Paw booklet here which will provide you with information about our products and how they may work for you. Reviewing the information in this booklet and answering the questions on pages 6 and 7 will help to identify whether your current product met your original needs, and we’ll be able to explain what each product can offer you. If you are satisfied that the level of cover provided by your current Policy already meets your needs, then there is no need to take any further action.

If after reading and carefully considering the booklet you find that the product you originally purchased may not be the most suitable for you, you can call us to discuss your options. During this call, we’ll be able to run through questions to help you choose the product that meets your needs based on your answers.

If we have not heard from you within 4 weeks, we will assume you are satisfied with your existing level of cover, and you will no longer be able to make changes to your current Policy as part of this review. This does not affect your rights to change your insurance product at your usual renewal date.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Be aware that you can't shop around for pet insurance like you can for car insurance - it's like human health insurance. If you change insurers, any conditions that your pet has EVER been to the vet for - even if you didn't claim - will probably be excluded. So if for example you went to the vet for an upset tummy, it's likely that if you change insurers after that they will exclude all stomach conditions, even if they are completly unrelated.

Some insurers also hike prices after you've claimed at renewal time, knowing that you're stuck with them. It's worth getting feedback from other pet owners in your area, especially if they're made claims, to see who will be best for you in the long run.

Dogs can be hard to insure after the age of 7, unless you stay with your existing company, and almost impossible to get new insurance for by 10 or 11. But think very carefully about not having insurance as well - with modern treatments available, vet bills can run into thousands of pounds in a matter of days. If you choose not to take out pet insurance, be aware that you should get at least third party cover, so if your pet causes damage or injury you are covered.
  • GypsysmumGypsysmum Forumite
    30 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I've had an email from my pet insurer asking me if they may have missold it to me. Is this now PPI for dogs????
    I'm unsure what to do with this???

This is the email:

Your Animal Friends Pet Insurance Policy – ACTION REQUIRED

From 1st October 2018, the FCA introduced regulations to ensure that any insurance products, bought on or after this date, met the demands and needs of the customer.

We are writing to you because we have now completed a review of the information provided to our customers when selecting a Policy between the 1st of October 2018 and 25th June 2019. As a result of the review we have identified that we should have done more to ensure the Animal Friends Policy you purchased met your demands and needs. Any Policy purchased outside of these dates were sold in line with the requirements that applied at the time.

What you need to do now

At Animal Friends, we offer four different Policy types and many different levels of cover.

Here’s a reminder of the Policy that you purchased between 1st October 2018 and 25th June 2019:

Policy type
    Superior

To ensure the Policy you have with us is suited to your requirements, please review the Helping Paw booklet here which will provide you with information about our products and how they may work for you. Reviewing the information in this booklet and answering the questions on pages 6 and 7 will help to identify whether your current product met your original needs, and we’ll be able to explain what each product can offer you. If you are satisfied that the level of cover provided by your current Policy already meets your needs, then there is no need to take any further action.

If after reading and carefully considering the booklet you find that the product you originally purchased may not be the most suitable for you, you can call us to discuss your options. During this call, we’ll be able to run through questions to help you choose the product that meets your needs based on your answers.

If we have not heard from you within 4 weeks, we will assume you are satisfied with your existing level of cover, and you will no longer be able to make changes to your current Policy as part of this review. This does not affect your rights to change your insurance product at your usual renewal date.

I don't think they have a very good reputation so perhaps they have been forced to write to you?
  • GypsysmumGypsysmum Forumite
    30 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    On the subject of diet with raw enthusiasts extolling its virtues. Do remember that dogs are Omnivores not Carnivores. They can happily exist on a balanced vegetarian diet. Dogs evolved by scavenging around human camps and lost the wolf gene thousands of years ago. Raw needs to be balanced so do your research before giving it a try.

Cats, however, are carnivores and should be fed accordingly.
  • I did not think one could buy prescription drugs on amazon, for humans or dogs.
  • Hi best tip for dog chews for cleaning teeth after a meal is to give the dogs a carrot, its crunchy has virtually no calories and cleans the teeth, both my dogs love a carrot choose the size of carrot for the size of the dog. A lot cheaper than fancy chews and its actually good for them. Hope this is of help to someone